Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Remix Opinions

Thanks

Remix Opinions

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, I reworked this mix from back in August. Sorry if I post the same song sometimes - I'm working on these mixes slowly over time and lose the original threads, and when I get close to finished I like to run the new mix by the forum. Apologies if it's annoying.

Can you tell me how the balance and all sounds? Mainly it was hard to mix two vocals like that, and does it work with everything else going on? There are like 6 guitars so I was trying to make them all audible and supporting some element (like rhythm or acting as a pad, etc) but also trying to make it vacant sounding at the same time. Dunno. It sucked to mix and took forever so hopefully it's close.

I really wanted that guitar going on behind the vocals and found it nearly impossible to place, so let me know how that's sitting now. I also added a backward cymbal for some reason. Does the backward cymbal suck? For some reason I liked it on that off beat but I'm open to removing it if it sucks.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nola; 02-13-2017 at 20:39.

Thanks
    Sounds pretty good. Bass could come up a little in my opinion. There's just a moment at the end of the next-to-last verse where the bass jumps out. Sounded good. I'd like to hear that throughout the song. Overall I was listening mainly to the vocals. The doubled male and female vocals are interesting, but I feel like the two are competing with each other. It makes it a bit harder to pick out the lyrics. I'd pick one as your lead and then lower the level of the other, not completely, but to the point where it is in a supporting role. I assume you would be lower her vocal. Maybe pan her out a little ways too, so the two voices aren't right on top of each other.

Anyway, minor nits. Overall really good job.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, Robus. Yeah I dunno about the mix. It feels close but a few things bug me. I think the distortion needs some EQ because it's somewhat harsh and I don't know if the two vocals work. If not, I need to redo mine because it's not very good. I kinda like the duel vocals for mood but I'm thinking maybe a single vocal and just redo the take. I'm not a fan of the bass tone, either. It's a little too flabby and lacking definition. It's clearly there but just flabbing around not adding much.

Thanks
    I think the doubled vocals could work. Experiment with the level and panning of the female vocal before you give up on it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool, Robus, yeah I will sleep on it.
    I redid the bass line tonight and like it more. Better tone and definition. (It's not in the original file, but I'll include that in any updates to the thread).

Thanks
    The guitars aren't as smoothed out as I remember. is that right? is there more treble or presence in them?

How are you compressing your vocals? I'd make sure to use the fastest release possible on them, they are already so low in volume and energy that a long release will bring them down more in volume and harder to hear all the nuances.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andrushkiwt View Post
    The guitars aren't as smoothed out as I remember. is that right? is there more treble or presence in them?
    Exactly. I think it's that I turned down the l/r guitars more to open the mix, and then all the sudden all the buzzy guitars were now too present. I need to EQ the high end off of them. I liked it at first, but then after listening more it grated on me.

I used (mild) limiting on the final, which I never do, but I wanted to give it a try. I feel like it always makes things harsh, so I think that might be part of it, but mostly it's the leads/distortion are all more bare now. Frustrating!

I worked on EQ last night and re-tracked bass, so hopefully i will have a new one up soon.

Thanks
    The only thing I'm not fussy about is the lead that plays during verse 1 (and 3?). Not sure what else could go there - but I did like the tone you used for that short snippet in the intro (i.e clean / bright). The current lead isn't bad it's just a bit distracting and maybe a bit repetitive. It works ok at 2:00 by itself. Something I do once in a while is chop out sections of a lead part so it's not continuous, just pops in here and there, but it is tricky and cross fading can be challenging.

At 2:50 the OD guitar is a good choice, I doubt an eq will do much to "change" it if you find it too distorted. Once it's printed it's pretty much there. You can try though.

At 3:00, that verse is cool for me as it focuses on the vocals but doesn't lose the flow/volume/feel. And that lead part is gone during the singing I would "maybe" turn the OD guitars back just a touch and pull up the other guitars. You'll have to try it and see if you like it and it keeps the vibe you want.

At 4:00 something cuts out and there's a bit of a sonic dropout. I might keep that going until the end.

Other than the lead part, the rest sits ok for me level wise, so don't overthink this one too hard or you'll drive yourself crazy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ido1957 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    ...I used (mild) limiting on the final, which I never do, but I wanted to give it a try. I feel like it always makes things harsh...
    well, that's certainly not true. every commercial album has been limited. no time to practice applying it like today!
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

13. The Following User Says Thank You to andrushkiwt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Overall there's a buildup somewhere around 200-250Hz. Below that it drops off. The combined effect for me is that it sounds congested but still lacking fullness in the low end. The balance is mostly good despite that 200-250Hz thing. You could almost get away with eq on the whole mix, but fixing it on tracks has more potential for improvement.

It could use more kick. To me it sounds like kick-kick snare, kick-kick snare. The bass may need to come up if you raise the kick.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thread Information