remix of one of our songs in the band

banjo71

I like to go through some songs in my storage and just wipe the slate clean and remix the session. This is one of them, Love of the Father. The band I play with recorded it at least 6 years ago, and I wanted to play with a few new plugins I got over the holidays. One is a vocal plugin effect, which takes a mono signal and splits it into stereo and then gives you options on tone, compression, reverb, delay, and pitch. I only used a few options but this is the vocal sound I was wanting a long time ago, but didn't know how to build the mixer to do it effectively without the plugin years ago. It's a Chris Lord-Alge Collection Vocal plugin I got from Waves. They had a great deal on plugins over the holidays.

Hope you enjoy.

Love of the Father - Banjo Hangout Jukebox

I like it ! I'm recording my first banjo song now..(trying to learn how to play it as I go). I really like the tone on all the instruments and the vocals. I would have done a little more panning on the instruments, but overall it sounds Great. MS

Thanks Mark for listening and responding. Yeah I'm often too scared to pan too far. I did have a multiband stereo band imager on, but I could have panned the mix more.

Nice job. Like [MENTION=143705]mark skinner[/MENTION] says, there's probably some panning that I might have done differently, but really good performances so nothing that must be done, at least to my old ears!

I thought it was a nice song. Nice female singer. Generally I thought it was a pretty decent mix.

Some things I would consider...

Like the others said, some mild panning of the guitar and banjo would probably work well. Nothing too hard.

I would make the mix a little dryer. I thought the acoustic guitar especially had a bit too much reverb. The vocal might be just a bit too dry.

The lead vocal has a little cloudiness in it. I'm thinking there might be a nice place to mildly notch out 3-5db. Maybe somewhere in the 300hz-600hz octave.

Mando sounds nice.

Little click or something at 2:13.

Back