Remains of the Day

Sonixx

I'm finishing several tunes from a local band Remains of the Day

Please take a listen and let me know what you think of the mix. If you want to comment on the tunes I'll let the band know, but I'm interested in feedback on the audio quality, my work.

There's three tunes of differing types from lite rock to acoustic. All three were tracked and solely mix and finalized in my Studio SLIK.

Never Change is an Acoustic Rock tune.

Best Defenses is slightly harder edged with a touch of boogie...

Taking Form is an acoustic and electric guitar rock tune...

Thanks... :)

Come on...

...Flame me...

......Trash me......

.........Abuse me.........

Do what you do best...

Thanks...

Last edited:
Well, I tried. Heard a few wailing guitar notes and then nothing.
I take it you're sure this is fully uploaded to n/where radio?

robjh22 said:
Well, I tried. Heard a few wailing guitar notes and then nothing.
I take it you're sure this is fully uploaded to n/where radio?
geez... I don't know. I streamed them after uploading and I just streamed the LO and HI-FI for each. Maybe give it another try. My stats show several individuals with two tries that are about 5 seconds apart, but no failures. This doesn't seem correct. I'll try it on another machine.

Thanks for trying...

i just streamed all three from another machine... no problem. has anyone else tried and failed?

anyone else willing to give one of these a listen?

thanks...

I have a listen...

Well I'm listening to 'taking form'. Immediately, I would like to say I like the acoustic guitar. The mix sounds nice and well balanced. The Choruses could be a touch beefier... but that's just nitpicking. I'm sure the mix translates nicely to a stereo with that TBASS thing activated! :D All and all... well done!

I've just listened to 'Best Defenses' and 'Never Change'. These two songs are well done as well. You are very consistent. Would you mind sharing with us what gear you used to make this recording? What did you use on your acoustic gits?

keep up the good work!
cheers
ls

Thanks for taking a listen... and for the generous words...

I'm a real fan of M/S micing for acoustic guitar... especially double tracking (although not on Taking Form) and inverting the opposing channels. The acoustic guitar is basically as recorded. I rolled off the low end at 125Hz and probably cut some at 200Hz, but that's about it.

I'm uploading another, A Myth Retold... the acoustic guitar is doubled, each recorded using M/S micing and the opposing sides of the S is inverted. That is, for the Left track the Right is inverted and on the Right track the Left is inverted. They are not hard panned. The percusion is a Djembe. Please take a listen and I welcome any feedback on the mix.

I used Samplitude for this project.

Best Defenses, on phones the panned vocal during the verse makes it sound slightly out of balance, the drums are back a bit far. Otherwise sounds OK

Hey Sonixx,

I'm having a listen here to Never Change and I like it a lot. The only thing that I would change is maybe add more reverb to the vocal, it sounds a tad dry but that's a nit-pick. Great song.

Liked it enough to listen to Myth Retold. That's a pretty good tune there as well, I'd have the same beef with the vocals, but again nothing serious - good job man.

Bulls Hits
I agree that on phones the vocal pulls it, but then the guitar offsets it soon after. Maybe it's just a bit to far over. Appreciate the listen

lynx
I generally only apply Reverb as a last resort. I like things more up front, vocal especially, and so mixes are more to the dry side. The bands say the same, but then later say it sounds Okay. Actually, A myth Retold is a bit wetter than normal. Thanks for taking the time.

"Taking form", nice tune. Acoustic, too int he face for me, hearing quite a bit of mechanical noise. electric a little strong and overpowering the melody a bit, panned a little hard out left. backgrounds buried in the chorus by the doubled electric. I'd verb that solo a little more and smooth it out a tad.
I enjoyed "myth retold", a little much verb on the drum and a little strong against the melody.

Toki987 said:
"Taking form", nice tune. Acoustic, too int he face for me, hearing quite a bit of mechanical noise. electric a little strong and overpowering the melody a bit, panned a little hard out left. backgrounds buried in the chorus by the doubled electric. I'd verb that solo a little more and smooth it out a tad.
I enjoyed "myth retold", a little much verb on the drum and a little strong against the melody.
Thanks for the feedback... yea I guess the acoustic could have been retracked to get rid of some of the guitar extraneous noise... I'm not sure what in the face means to you... maybe too DRY... the chorus was buried intentionally. they really wanted to remove it, but I left it in there... buried. I had some difficulty with the solo... no doubt.

Back