Redo of earlier track

The performance is pretty much perfect! Very nice arrangement! :)

The only thing I can find any fault with is the sound quality of some of the patches which sound a little congested.

I have a Yamaha PSR-730 which has a lot of traditional instrument samples in it and I hear a lot of "that sound" in this production of yours which I'm sure wouldn't bother most folks who haven't been around those types of keyboards.

How did you put this together?

Cheers! :)

Just lovely, David. No nits here. Great sonic textures.

It's hard, when dealing with so much of the mix in a similar freq range, to achieve the clarity and separation you did. The violins are lush and natural w/o a hint of harsh. That's not so easily accomplished.

Well done.

Best,

Kev-

The two intro patches (guitar/flute) are nice. Are these stock patches or combinations? They have a great sound to them, especially the flute.

I thought I heard some static around :02 and a few other spots.

Those lower notes have a very nice tone. The almost seem like cellos - maybe they are - but then the long draw/notes of the bow seems missing. I'll guess they are synth patches. Maybe my rocker side is looking for more bass notes throughout (not necessarily volume) and my newbie side to classical showing through :D

Continue to enjoy your strings most of all. :) I like the synth/string blending you have going on here.

I listened on headphones at a low volume a few times first. It produced a nice mix with each part still audible. At higher volume the dynamics come more into play - the percussive nature of things like the guitar and drums for example. About 3/4 volume seems just right for listening on headphones (for me).

The drums are cool - very subtle but nicely rumbling.

Do I hear an accordian? That's "Italiano" and takes this in a new direction when it comes in. Invokes images of cafe's and winding narrow streets.

There are quite a few tracks to this, and they are either perfectly blended or separated as need. You definitely excel at this art of arrangement and/or production. Great playing and a real nice mix.....

:):D:):D

Thee samle that comes in at almost 2min - is it accordian - it seems not as clear as the rest - accordian is a very complex piece of equipment so I could understand the sample prob unless you constructed the chords note by note.
The intro is lovely.
I just hit the rumbling drum - sounded great.
Well developed mate - excellent texture - the only reason I felt I was the world's expert on accordian was because I watched a doco yesterday on the maestro of tango accordian - knowledge is a dangerous thing in the hands of an imbecile like me.

Thanks for checking this out Ghost, Kev, Gerry and Ray.:cool: I took a hiatus from recording for the last few months, now I am starting back.

How did you put this together?

Made some midi tracks, grabbed my fiddle and overdubbed 22 violin parts.:eek:
that sound"
bother most folks
accordian
Its an English Horn.:D At least it is supposed to be. Either way, it has to go, its just not very convincing. I think I will put a string patch in there or something, it sounds plastic and fake.:(

The violins are lush and natural w/o a hint of harsh.
I am finally learning eq tricks.:cool: Indeed it was hard to get the harshness out.

Are these stock patches or combinations?

The flute is a Korg flute. The guitar is two patches, a harp at very low volume on the left, guitar on right. The harp is inaudible but fills out the sound since I have along delay on it.

Those lower notes have a very nice tone. The almost seem like cellos - maybe they are - but then the long draw/notes of the bow seems missing. I'll guess they are synth patches. Maybe my rocker side is looking for more bass notes throughout (not necessarily volume) and my newbie side to classical showing through
Very observant.:cool: There isnt much bass, just a few notes here and there. I am not sure why, it probably works better in the real world than in the synth hybrid world.

Ideally I would like to get another real player on here, like an oboe. I think the wind patches are holding this back, to fake sounding. Thanks again for listening.

Very nice arrangement david........and even though some things sound a bit plastic, there is no dispute that the guy that did all of this is very talented and knows his chit. You are a very talented man and should never make excuses for the tools you use.....rock on man!!!!:D

Very nice to the ear, really relaxing.
Good arrangment, I`m not familiar with the Original, but this sounds damn good.

thanks for sharing

Sounds really nice David. Other than the little hiccup of static right at the beginning, it sounds fantastic. Good job. :)

P.S. - I can't hear the kick or snare at all. :p

Hi David...overall very nicely done. I hear the same problem with flute that has plagued me for years, that being the mechanical sounding vibrato. I finally found a way to fix it in my U-110 by delaying the onset a second or so. Short notes wont have any and on longer values it eases in naturally. Same w/ the cor anglais...any woodwinds really. A very small nit really. Otherwise a great souding track.
A guy named Mitch Miller (sing along w/Mitch) once said..."the english horn is an ill wind that nobody blows good"

chazba

Thanks a lot for listening to this fellers.:cool:

I changed a few things on this. The plastic oboe/english horn is gone, replaced by a less crappy one.:D I m going to try and get one or two of my symphony colleagues on this: I will wait till I have a bunch of stuff ready and hopefully get a few real winds.

The guitar/harp thing has to be redone. It sounds too quantized. I just need to practice keys more and do it for real.:o

A guy named Mitch Miller
I played with Mitch, and his lookalike Skitch (Henderson).:D Mitch was nice, Skitch was a bastard.:p

You are a very talented man and should never make excuses for the tools you use
Actually, my tools are all updated and fairly good these days. If anything sucks it aint the tools.:D

I hear the same problem with flute that has plagued me for years, that being the mechanical sounding vibrato. I finally found a way to fix it in my U-110 by delaying the onset a second or so.
I have attempted a few tricks like this. This track gotta have a real flute, case closed. I will just think of the current synthflute as a place holder, it doesnt make any sense without the real deal.

Thanks again for the comments, I appreciate them.:cool:

David....you are very lucky to have friends who are symphonic players. We all eagerly await your next mp3

chazba

Back