Recording of a live band in a bar

Please give a listen and tell me what you think. It's a 6-track recording of a really good local 3-piece band in a small bar with a crowd of 40 or more. I recorded to ADAT (XT20) and then dumped to SONAR and mixed.

I close mic'ed everything and took a feed off the PA for vocals. Unfortunately I lost the power supply for a dual mic-pre and had to settle for 6 tracks. I mic'ed the kick drum with a D112 and put a MK012 overhead pointed at the snare, MD421 on bass and an e609 on the guitar. Also used a CAD M179 omni pattern for the room/audience.

Please go to
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3924&alid=-1
and select Magic Carpet Ride. It's a little over 7 minutes.

C'mon, help a guy out here! I really appreciate ya'll taking the time to try to listen to my mp3's and I'm perfectly willing to accept that I'm not doing something right when creating them. But I don't know what to do differently.

Please - I'm beggin' ya! I gotta get a handle on this problem. In your player, pull down the Help menu, select About, then copy and paste the text into a reply.

Sure man -- 9.00.00.3344. Hope that helps ya. I would like to hear it for sure.

Thanks for that too (wasnt sure how to tell version)

RichHead said:
Sure man -- 9.00.00.3344. Hope that helps ya. I would like to hear it for sure.

Thanks for that too (wasnt sure how to tell version)

Thanks! Now we're gittin' somewheres!

Is that the Windows Media Player? Winamp?

streaming works for me

What else was in the signal chain? Other preamps, etc? Or were the mics run to the house as well and in the console?

tnjazz said:
streaming works for me

Wonderful! What player/version?

Man I'm having a real problem getting this right. I had no trouble with WMP v10 at home. But I just tried WMP v10 from work and got this error:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found."

All I want to do is make standard mp3's that any mp3 player can play. Does anyone know if there a way to do that?

EddieRay said:
Wonderful! What player/version?

Man I'm having a real problem getting this right. I had no trouble with WMP v10 at home. But I just tried WMP v10 from work and got this error:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found."

All I want to do is make standard mp3's that any mp3 player can play. Does anyone know if there a way to do that?

I'm using Winamp, not WMP

Yo! I just replaced the mp3 with a new one, generated with "lame" instead of SONAR 4 HS mp3 export. I'm able to play it here at work so I think the porblem is solved. Please try again and see if it now works for you.

I'm looking for feedback on the quality of the recording, be it good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks all!

listening now. sounds good man. excellent playing from all. kickin guitarist. dig his style. pretty decent recording considering it's in a bar. sounds like you got everything pretty balanced overall. the bass is a little low volume in places but overall it's good.

nowhereradio................ :eek: :eek: :eek: if you use media player, click one of the play buttons like you'd expect, when the page pops up to pick a player, choose "WINAMP" YES! i almost guarantee it will play. i told them about that a long time ago and they said it was my mime types screwed up on my pc. :D EddieRay, you're not doing anything wrong. you might want to try sound click, less trouble that way.

I REPEAT! IF YOU USE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, CHOOSE WINAMP IN THE NOWHERERADIO PLAYER OPTIONS. YOUR MEDIA PLAYER WILL PLAY THE FILE.

LISTEN UP NOWHERERADIO! :eek: :D

EddieRay
It's happened - I can listen - yeah.
"This is an old skate" that was a line used by the Septic who sang in a band I played bass for in Sydney in the mid 80's - that song was Whole Wide World by Wreckless Eric. Memories... oh, Septic? Spetic Tank = Yank = Person of American extraction or origin.
I usually don't review covers but there have been a few good ones lately that have made me break that covenant.
This is a nice version - didn't go for the proto metal or metal options - nice guitar tones - I can actually hear the guitar instead of just the pedal.
Good recording - live feel as expected but with plenty of clarity. The only thing needing a boost is the bass drum & a little bottom on the bass.
Sounds like a good gig too - did anyone put on their skates & go around in circles?

Sounds cool man..band is pretty tight and levels sound decent.I like a bit more lowend in my sound so to my ears, that would be the only nit.Enjoyed it...good job!

Your comments are much appreciated!

I'm obviously having trouble with the low end. Thanks for pointing it out. Back to mixing...

I use SONAR Home Studio 4 which included the MP3 export (optional install) at no extra cost. But I know now not to use it. I had the same problem with Cakewalk 9 MP3 export.

I thought he says "This is an 'all skate'". But no, no skates that night. :D
The regulars at that bar had no idea what to expect. They were really blown away.

Well done!
My compliments to musicians too!
The link in your latest post did not work for me but I didn't get any trouble by downloading from nowhereradio.com
sikter

Back