Recorded my Drum Practice yesterday

zed32

Re-Attached Member
Recorded my Drum Practice yesterday (Deftones Cover)

well since i had a day off yesterday, i spent the day practicing drums. i usually record myself when i practice so that way i can kinda track my progress. anyway, i was jamming along with the Deftones album Adrenaline, and was kinda happy with the way Minus Blindfold came out, so i decided to record the guitars and stuff too.

sound quality sucks because i just had one room mic and then a mic on the snare, so i couldnt really adjust the cymbals/toms/kick. the toms sound really dead, which sucks. but since it was just a practice session, i was too lazy to go through the whole drum micing process. also the drumming is not really spot-on of course, i've only really been practicing less than 6 months, so bear with me haha. theres quite a few flubs, but i dont really care.

guitars were done DI because i recorded them after i got home from some 4th Of July celebratory events and i didn't wanna wake the neighbors at midnight with my amp. i used the SimulAnalog JCM900 plugin. bass was DI also.

anyway i'm not really looking for mix critiques since it was just a quick recording job of a practice session, but it would be awesome if someone wants to do the vocals for it. :D

i referenced with the original, but couldn't really squeeze out that crazy sounding Adrenaline tone that Steph has on that album. and of course the drums are a lot less punchy, probably because i wasn't hitting the snare hard enough most of the time (plus my drumming, drums, and mic all suck). thanks for checkin it out.

Minus Blindfold (deftones cover):
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5523961&q=hi

Last edited:
OK since nobody is looking anyway, i updated the file. i promised myself i wouldnt, but i ended up blending in a triggered snare this time haha since my snare track was pretty clean (not much bleed to mess up the trigger). just wanted to add some more snap to it. i wish i would have used a mic in the kick so i could trigger that too, but i wasn't planning on actually doing the whole song.

new link:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5523961&q=hi

i wanted to add some more bass compared to the previous version, but i fucked up and added too much. i'll fix it later when i get home (hopefully my internet will be working again).

Sounds good Zed.....excellent bass tone. Has a great bite to it. Nice drumming....and the sound is pretty good really. Good playing all around. :cool:

Sounds good Zed.....excellent bass tone. Has a great bite to it. Nice drumming....and the sound is pretty good really. Good playing all around. :cool:

thanks Dogman, you're the bomb :cool:

i actually just ran the bass through the same JCM900 plugin as the guitars. i think i compressed it a bit with Blockfish, then made some adjustments with Nyquist EQ, and ran it through the JCM900 plugin on channel A with the gain all the way up.

drums were done with a AKG C2000b about 4 feet away from the kit, and about level with the top of the toms. then i had a SM57 on the snare.

Last edited:
Hey you're a pretty good drummer zed. You don't need to mess with those fake drum loops and samples. :)

one more update, fixed the bass a little bit, brought the snare up a little bit and put a touch of reverb on the master.

link:
Minus Blindfold

Me likey....pretty nice mine. I listened really close to the cymbals, to hear what you were playing...sounds nice man. Some of those subtleties are cool....but I bet they are hard. :cool:

i like it a lot. the dynamics, the guitar sounds and techniques, the feel. i listened to the whole thing!

i think youre really close sound-wise too. really really close.

The drums sound great. I have nothing to complain about except maybe the toms seem a little dead.

Sweet job tho,

-jD

Me likey....pretty nice mine. I listened really close to the cymbals, to hear what you were playing...sounds nice man. Some of those subtleties are cool....but I bet they are hard. :cool:

that fast part at the very end is a bitch to do! basically almost nailing that part is what made me decide to actually record the whole song, because i pretty much never can play that part right. i still didn't hit it perfect, btu thats as close as i've ever gotten.

i'm not 100% sure if i'm playing it right, but i know it's really close. its basically just riding the right crash, but then in between i gotta hit the ride with the right hand, then do an open HH with the left hand, one more right crash, then come back to hit the snare and left crash at the same time. i guess it's nothing too crazy, but my brain wants to explode when trying to keep the kick pattern going underneath all that other stuff. :eek::D

Holy shit, this is killer. Drums sound GREAT!!! Love that snare. And you play good drums, man. This tune has some timing changes up the ying-yang. Heavy as shit in some parts.

Great job, Zed!

Holy shit, this is killer. Drums sound GREAT!!! Love that snare. And you play good drums, man. This tune has some timing changes up the ying-yang. Heavy as shit in some parts.

Great job, Zed!

wow, thanks RAMI that means a lot coming from you. i love your work on the drums. next time i'll actually use a good mic setup, but i was kinda surprised how well the room mic picked everything up, even the kick. just the toms sound weird.

i'm still new, but so far playing drums is awesom. i feel like i notice improvements more than any other instrument. and even the boring stuff like practicing rudiments is pretty fun and very effective.

I like it, nice melody and fidelity. Couple of things I would have done differently, open the hi-hat slightly to give it some depth and either tweek the splash or try a different one, I really didnt care for the tone of that particular one. I use a Paiste 10" and a Zildjian A custom 12" splash, the combination of the two is phenominal. Thats just me though, the song over all is very cool.

mine is a 10" paiste splash. it came out kinda weird in the recording because the splash was directly in front of the room mic, and anytime the compressor kicks in, it messes with the splash a lot. i had a 10" Zildjian A splash but i sold it to my cousin because i preferred the sound of the paiste. it didn't come out too well on this recording, but generally it sounds pretty sweet. thanks for listening Amped.

i like to watch the tattoo shows and the shows where they build and rebuild cars and bikes

and of course the ufc

this sounds like it would go very well with those shows

Man i don't know the original but it sounds pretty sweet for a drum practice. This is actually a lot better than some of the stuff i heard recorded on demos by bands. Can't wait to hear you mic up the whole set and record something.

Back