Recorded hard rock, now what?

Meh, it's not terrible. Guitars and vocals sound pretty good. Drums and bass not so much. You let the drums get buried. The overheads are plenty loud enough, but you're not getting much kick/snare presence. Toms sound pretty good. The kick is inaudible most of the time. The snare sounds small and thin. The hats sound wierd like the overheads are out of phase or something. Keep working with the drums and bass. Bring the gits and vocals down until the kick and snare come to life. Bring the overheads down some too. They're pretty out there. Then nudge some bass in there. Look for the loudest passage of the song, and make sure the kick is there. If it's good there it'll be good everywhere else. For this kind of music the drums and bass have to drive. Make sure you maintain a good kick/bass seperation while having them each doing their job.

It's not far off though. I think a few fader nudges here and there and maybe a little EQ will get it much better.

Yeah that's better. Much more balanced sounding. A few new problems though:

First off, the snare is leaning way to the right. That's awkward for me. It's also kind of "donky" sounding. Get it centered and get a little more snap out of it and maybe cut some low mids from the snare track. Just a little. Careful compression can also bring out some snap.

The kick is more audible, which is good, but it's kind of fluffy sounding for the song. It's seemingly got good beef, but it lacks some attack. Don't go for a death metal typewriter click sound, but a little tighter with some beater slap could be good. Again, EQ and compression can do the trick.

The overheads are still weird to me, but they sit a little better now. Like you said, they maybe can come down a hair more.

Overall it's an improvement. You're on the right track.

Ok I just purchased Steven Slate Trigger, it was on sale 1/2 price. This has sample layering on the kick and snare. Thanks the reference, let me know if this is an improvement or if the drums are sounding too fake now

Speedline Dec 5.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Back