Recorded, had some dinner and mixed it...looking for some feedback

LemonTree

Suck 'em and see!
Spent about 5 hours today recording this one, split for some dinner and came back to mix it, probably another 2 hours work. I'm looking for pointers on the mix, think my ears were a bit shot after the recording so it's one I'll come back to and fix with any suggestions you can throw at me.

Here it is...

NEEDED 192k MP3 Stream

NEEDED download

Equipment used:

Drums done in Fruity Loops with Pro Samples Vol 43 Real Kits
All guitars Behringer V-Amp Pro
Bass DI'd through M-Audio Tampa
Vocals Studio Projects B1 through Tampa
Tracked in Adobe Audition
Mixed down in Cubase SX
Convertors 24 channels of M-Audio at 24/48
Console Soundtracs Topaz project 8
Plugins used:
Digital fishphones Blockfish
Akai quad comp
Antares mic mod
SIR convolution verb
waves trueverb
outboard:
lexi mpx100

hit me with it :D

and thanks in advance

P.S. I know my playing is sloppy, my drum programing leaves a lot to be desired and my vocals suck so mix only comments thanks ;)

I think if you push the guitars, and vocals back a little, down in volume, it will let the drums kick through a bit better. Not much, but maybe just a hair? Kick just seems a little buried at times, yet I hear it thump at other times. Not much to nitpick, as it seems on it's way. Very full mix. I hear the snare and toms well. Cymbals seem to sit well also. Just certain aspects of the kick don't shine through.
Cool song, dude. Vocals are pretty good by the way.
Ed

Thanks for the listen Dogman. I actualy thought I had too much snap on the kick but listening again it does sound like more of a thwak than a thump on the bottom. Shot ears

I've had a problem with buss 1 on this desk cutting out before which is where the kick was but I can't say I noticed it ever dissapear completely. Hope to hell it's not fluxing in volume...oh no :confused:

I agree with Dogman that the vocals are just a little too far forward. The backing vocals could also be panned a little farther inward and the volume dropped slightly. The guitar volumes sound good but I think they need to be panned a little wider. Overall it sounds pretty good.
I like the guitar tone can you elaborate a little more about how you recorded it. I also have a V-Amp Pro so I'm curious about your settings and the type of guitar used.

ocnor said:
I like the guitar tone can you elaborate a little more about how you recorded it. I also have a V-Amp Pro so I'm curious about your settings and the type of guitar used.

one guitar I used the tweed combo and the other I used the brit class A. I don't use any of the effects or the reverb on the V, I don't think they sound too hot. I've never used a preset on it either but the thing comes to life when you start tweaking with it.

I used the S/PDIF out into my Delta 1010 a bit of BLOCKFISH compression on the cleaner sounding one. I used two instances of SIR reverb, rooms from the lexi 960 and the TC 6000. and a bit of board EQ at mixdown.

The guitar is an old (ancient) Sunn Mustang, it's a strat made in india with a double and two single coils. I bought it in a junk shop about 15 years ago for £30. The action is amazing on it...like playing fresh air. The intonation is out a bit but that just adds character to it. It's a beat up POS but we all work with the tools we've got :)

Hey LemonTree,

I have listened a couple of times now, I think it is a good policy to adopt when trying to transpose constructive criticism.

One thing that stood out to me is that I think the jangly sounding guitar needs to be more present in the mix and then seperate (pan) the two slightly wider.
I like the tone on the main rythym guitar.
The kick is definitely buried and could do with a bit more thump.
The bass could be up a notch in volume just to compliment the bottom end for those guitars.
The vocals could be slightly less up front, I'm talking a tweak!

Overall I like the tune and I am struggling at the moment to make a comparison to who it reminds me of. Which is a good sign of originality.

I was not going to say it LemonTree (only because it's the reason my tunes are instrumentals), the vocals in the "neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedeeeeeeeed" sections are a tad pitchy, but hey Like I said, there's a reason why I mainly write instrumentals!

Nice work LemonTree, I have heard some previous mixes of yours, so I look forward to the finished results on this tune!

Thanx for sharing LemonTree!
Gorty!

thanks firstly for the listen and for all the comments Gorty. I had another crack at it today. I reamped both guitars and got my old mate drumagog in on the kick n snare action...the whole thing fell to pieces. As for the vocals being pitchy...yeah that's my voice, I refuse to autotune it and pretend I'm a singer. I'm not a guitarist or a bass player or a drummer either, I'm not even an AE...I just like doing this as a hobby. I think I've been lucky with a few of my mixes, noticably when I'm recording real tallent, that's 90% of the picture. It's hard recording yourself being your only critic that's why I love this forum

LemonTree said:
thanks firstly for the listen and for all the comments Gorty. I had another crack at it today. I reamped both guitars and got my old mate drumagog in on the kick n snare action...the whole thing fell to pieces. As for the vocals being pitchy...yeah that's my voice, I refuse to autotune it and pretend I'm a singer. I'm not a guitarist or a bass player or a drummer either, I'm not even an AE...I just like doing this as a hobby. I think I've been lucky with a few of my mixes, noticably when I'm recording real tallent, that's 90% of the picture. It's hard recording yourself being your only critic that's why I love this forum

Its all great fun and thanx again LemonTree for sharing with us! :)

New mix sounds really cool man. Nice full sounds, and there seems to be plenty of space for it all. Vocals cut through nicely, without sounding harsh. I hear the kick better now also. It sounds more like a kick than a thump. The rolls on the drums seem to have more feel now.
Cool.
Ed

The remix sounds great. The vocal's clear but doesn't have the upper mid's edge it did in the original. Hey that's a cool bass part about 1:40. Maybe the vocal could come up a dB and the gtrs go down the same, but I wouldn't change the EQ at all.

Tim

Thanks for the comments

Dogman, the drum rolls....I had mega problems with the drums. I'm no drummer so my programing skills are taken from what I actualy remember drummers playing that I've been in bands with. I had to swap out all the samples and I used multi samples on the snare...there's still one in there you here now n again that sounds like a rim being hit but I've burnt this one out. It's gonna have to stay like that now :) Wish my cymbal samples were a bit more convincing too.

Tim, I agree the guitars could come down a notch. As for that bass part...I got a bit carried away when tracking and started improvising and that popped out :D . It's not quite nailed but when I tried to redo it I had another two attempts and never hit it as cleanly as the first time so it's staying too

I might add some lead guitar parts to the outro and I'm not really that happy with the tremelo guitars on the broken down bridge. That gap needs something but I can't figure out what yet.

Thanks for the comments and your listening time

OK here's the deal. It took 5 hours the first time. The other night it took getting out of bed at 2am with insomnia and retracking the guiyars n bass. Everyone has ears so what does it say to yours?

I think the guitars are probably a bit too harsh as well as loud and something happened to my tom rolls on mix down...they sound a bit mono to me. Bass is probably too undefined and therefor loud and blockin out other parts while not quite destinct enough.

Anyone?

testing

Bum.gif

10 characters

Back