The real "Covenant" thread

SLuiCe

Sorry Crawdad, I didn't think anyone had a chance to catch it and I just wanted to raise the volume a bit. :)

I copied the body of my thread to repost it....

After a couple weeks of no music work I decided to work out a little acoustic idea to get back into the rhythm of things. I started tracking it yesterday, and I just finished a rough mix. It's just a few tracks with 1-or-2-take vocals and guitars, bass, drums and some quick EQ work, but I was wondering if I should add more instruments or just let the guitars breathe as they are. Either way, I'll give it a proper mix later.

Thanks for any ideas you share!

and here's a link...
Covenant

crawdad said:
Oops...now I know how Mixmkr feels, LOL! SluiCe, I like the openness of the track. It doesn't need any more guitars for sure. Flute riffs? Something airy like that perhaps.

hmmm flute riffs sounds like a good idea, but I don't want to mix synth flute into it because I'd want it to be at a detailed level. I totally hear ya though. I've thought about organ, but I've been using organs a lot lately. Maybe someone here has a real flute....

yeah...I saw the thread...and was going to listen, but then it was gone.

I came inside from working in the rain to warm up and to listen to a couple tunes... (well..like you want to hear what I was doing today!!)

hey...a tune under 20mgs!!

the mix seems kinda mushy/bass boomy to me. I think you will not like it if you listen again with "new" ears.

This is kinda a weird tune, so it'll have to grow on me too.

Yeah..the low end on this mix is pretty bad.
it is like there is a rumbling low end on it...some strumming gtrs, the drums doing something fairly creative, and the vocals kinda looking to be creative too.

Honestly, I'm only medium on the song too...now that it's played for awhile.:(

man..I feel like a dick-wipe being so negative...but this is not up to your high standards.. Maybe my ears got fried from being out in the rain too long... I don't know.

No don't worry about it mix...It's just kinda thrown together, I don't have much time into it, so I'm not gonna cry or nothing. Just looking for a few compositional ideas.

Thanks bro! I'll try to cut the bass back before I take off for the night.

I cut some lows from the bass and lowered its level by a db or so...
I know it's not the best mix...it's still in composition phase, but hopefully the rumble will be gone. I may just say fuck it and ditch the whole thing after this weekend, but I needed to record something with my free time :)

Gotta get ready for a movie....thanks!

(Thanks Crawdad)

Ahh, I love your use of acoustic guitars and especially the performance. You have very interesting drum rhythms. Very non-standard. Still it doesn't detract from this song. There's lot to chew on this song. Weird time signatures and chord movements. Very beautiful themes. Vocals are close and warm. I like the feeling you put into them. It's hard to listen critically since the song is so good. When I listen to your stuff I can see what you mean when you talked about weaving a song together (in my thread). You really can weave :D Your songs have complex parts but you manage to keep it all together but not too "restricted".

One complain about the drums. The hihat sounded a bit watery, or weird at some places. I've noticed the same effect when limiting a song too much.

-EDIT-

And you're being too modest now. Do NOT ditch this song. I've yet to hear a song by you that sucks.

I usually like odd time sigs, and I dig your playing/singing. This just seems a bit too disjointed in places though.

Needs to flow better.

I love dark music!! This one is a bit disjointed, but in a good way. As I was listening, I was hit in different directions all the time. I love that. I could never sit and get comfortable with the song because I never knew what was coming next. But as I said, I enjoy that kind of thing. The recording is excellent. I am amazed with what I am hearing here...(I just joined) You guys are all really good! Great job. I'm gonna check out your other tunes.

that was cool! the 'ho ho how' parts are great! dude, good freakin tune! the recording sounds great too.. I'm not bothering with any nits.. the tunes too good! immediately a Sluice favorite.. ha! nice scratchy vocal @4:25.. :D this ones extra cool..

much better balance...even if it is a ruffie.
I'm gonna guess you played with the drum volume and EQ too.. to make them louder and brighter sounding.
the guitar around the (late)3 min-4 min almost sounds like one string is actually about a 1/2 step off. Either you're a madman with the chord tensions, or something is amuck there...
weirdo song though...for sure (to me)

why don't you just lay off the mushrooms and do something in 4/4 to make me and Crawdad happy...eh? oh..a a "real ending" !! ha!!

however, this is much better. You ARE one of the more animated singers in the clinic here, for sure.

you're a musicians musician...
always...and ALWAYS a pleasure to listen.

Hey--what time signature is this in anyway? I was all ready to waltz with my baby and I twisted my ankle right at the first shift there!

Oh...don't worry about filling the 4/4 gap. I have PLENTY of those arriving soon! Speaking of, your stuff is sounding really good even in rough mix mode. How am I supposed to put up my dorky songs when yours will make them all sound like they were recorded with a Mr. Microphone?!:D

I had an idea for a future HR challenge. The thing would be to do a parody of another members work. Like for me, you could do "Over 60 Snooze" and I could do a song with six time signatures and a lot of minor chords and real cool sounding backing tracks to cover you. To do B. Sabbath, I'd have to get an E-bow, a 7 string guitar tuned to C and a dirty tube pre-amp for vocals...and a cello...a BIG cello...:D...well you get the idea. For Erland, you just get two acoustics, write an incredible melody and write lyrics that SEEM to make sense, maybe. What do we do for ChrisHarris though?

Thanks guys...

Crawdad, the opening theme/verse is 6/4 to 5/4. The rest is 6/4. I didn't plan, I just played it. Unfortunately for me mixmkr's right, I'm usually just a musician's musician. I play what I hear, and I don't usually hear things in 4/4. I'm sure it keeps a lot of people away from a second listen, and one listen probably isn't enough to absorb these types of meters. But oh well. There are plenty of 4/4 songs out there to enjoy. And if just one other human hears what you're doing and relates, then it was worth the effort. (That's what I keep telling myself anyway :) )

mixmkr, all I did was lower the bass, if that tells you how right you were about the rumbling. I didn't touch anything else because my ears were shot. My monitors are very deceptive in the low range, especially after my ears start to burn out.

Thanks to everyone else too. I'm gonna leave this alone for now. But if anyone has the suggestions I asked for I'll take 'em.

Cheers!

No suggestions man. This is classic Sluice. Your style is so unique. Yeah it does take a few listens to get "comfortable" with your stuff, but who wants to watch a movie when they already know how it's gonna end?

Twist

Hey Tom,
....yeah, classic SluiCe:) Definitlely not graspable at first listen.:D .......But with enough hook to bring you back for a second. Very cool song man........ I'll be back....
g w/5

hes back! :)

you did a very nice job with the creativity and mixing side of this song... everything sounded sweet.

your stuff is always impressive! :)

***** stars

Hey Tom,
Yeah man, it sounds solid for a first pressing. There are some areas asking for bg voc. support, but im sure you know that.
Nice tune:)
Mike

very nicley done........great vocal sound and great acoustic sound...........maybe the best blend that i've heard you achieve yet..............unique writing........you're able to maintain a very heavy sound using just acoustic which is very cool in my book

Back