Ready for prime-time?

Hi Track Rat!

I am new to this board. I traditionally hang out over at the TASCAM bbs but, I heard some good things about this board. I have also been lurking a while on and off.

I have an all analog studio. 16 track, 1" TASCAM MS16 and a custom made M324B console. I've been playing and recording for a little over 20 years and still love the hobby.

I mostly record rock and quieter acoustic music that I and a friend write together in a band called Short Sircuit. We do it for the love and fun of it and hopefully, I can be of assistance to some of the members here with my experience.

Cheers! :)

kjam22,

Great Dylan impression! Nice tune overall and great sound quality.

How do you get your MP3 to come out so much louder then mine?

I think yours sounds everybit as good... or probably better. Loudness... I dont' know..... I just have it mixed loud. I think sometimes volume is achieved with eq maybe better than it is with the sliders? I don't know.... I'm a learner.

But I recorded on a Yamaha AW4416 hard disk recorder.... and when I watch the meters on this song.... there is not any headroom left.

Liked your guitars a lot!

later

I listened to "set myself free".

Turn those danged vox up! Especially in the quieter "first part of the verse" parts. Very hard to hear.

It sounds like you could do with a little low-end boost on the vox. And I'd turn the drums down, or get em back further in the mix somehow. I wanna hear the vocals. I don't give a shit about drums.:)

This kinda takes me back to that "Day On The Green" I went to in the 80s... I like it. Good gutbucket 80s rock kinda stuff.

Chris

Listened to Set Myself Free, mix sounds good to me, like the vocal performance, plenty of feeling. As for the song, perhaps a bit too long for my taste without more variation, but I guess that's the style and just my impatience!. Nice driving tempo. Good work!

Jamie

Set Myself Free was recorded back in 1994. A few years before I got my 16 track that I have now. That tune was recorded on a TASCAM 38, 1/2" 8 track.

I have been thinking about re-doing it for a while now as I know I could do a much better job on the sound quality today then I did back then.

The points of bringing up the vocals are a good one.

The point that the song is bit long is also valid.

Perhaps a variation part thrown in or a good screamin' guitar solo would be nice touches to consider on a redo.

Thanks for your input! Everybody!:)

Any thoughts on the other 3 tracks on the Sound-click site?

It's appreciated!

Welcome to the board.

I'm really digging "Set Myself Free". That fuzz guitar in the background on its own probably sounds like complete garbage - but in context it's perfect! Love the staccato guitar too. There's something in there on all the down beats that's really cool. What is that?
I love the vocals where they are, and I don't think it's too long either.

Song for Dave is good too. Doesn't grab me the way the first one did. Something about the snare, acoustic, and hit hat - they're not quite blending. Sounds like there's some compression pumping sound somewhere in those instruments I mentioned too. Kick is taking up a lot of space. Big clip at 2:39 on "play".

See You in the Spring - another good tune. Nice vocals. I'm hearing the same thing with the snare, hi-hat, and acoustic. It's like they're all fighting for the hi-hat's rightful space if that makes sense.

As they fell - This song grabs me almost as much as the first one. Good stuff. The drums sound like their bottom end has been taken away. Great vocals. Love the guitar tone, but it might be the slightest bit muddy.

Stick around! You'll have fun here.

fprod south,

Thanks for checking out all four tracks! I guess I was asking a bit much of the group to critique all 4 tunes. I probably should have posted them one at a time. My apologies to everybody for that.

Glad you enjoyed the tracks! Your comments were probably accurate. I guess depending on the medium that I mix on and all the variations that the stuff is heard back on, it's tough going, to make it sound good to all ears and all speaker systems.

Maybe that's why professional mastering engineers are still gainfully employed for those that are smart enough to use the services? I wish I could afford one!

About your comments on the thing that is in the downbeats in Set Myself Free, I did some extra tracking of the hats and there was a vibraphone pad that was in there too. I am not sure if this is what you were referring to?

As for having fun, I am doing that very much and I am glad I finally came on board with you guys. There are some great ears here and some very useful advice.

Thanks again! :)

Cool tune, man - right up my alley!! I'm a rocker at heart. And that style is slowly being 'radioed' out of the limelight by a bunch of non-musicians selling T&A. But where's that wailing guitar solo, man??? The tune has a very cool vibe - makes me want a shot of whiskey at an open-air concert by a lake. (But if you look at my other posts - everything makes me want a shot of whiskey!)

If you re-cut this tune - and I think it's worth it - lay out some guitar licks!!

Welcome aboard - lots to learn here and some really cool people who tell the straight story about what they hear - I like that!!

I'm gonna check out your other tunes. (Last night I tried to DL the tune but as soon as I hit the Soundclick site my firewall had a fit and shut down the system. Gotta love computers!)

Talk at ya soon
Milan

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your tunes. Each one carries a good signature, the performances and mixing are pretty darned good. I think you covered most of it yourself as for what it might need, as well as the others. A little touch here and there with level balancing and some subtle touches by an ear that can do some "eq makeup" should have you in in the good shoes...

Milan,

Thanks for giving my stuff a listen and for your suggestions about the guitar solo being added in a future redo. I will definitely consider doing exactly that!

I hope too, that you got your computer up and running again. It seems like every few months I have to re-do one of my 3 computers in the house because of some fatal error and blue screen of death. I think that's why I have stayed with analog equipment for as long as I have, because of the fear of loosing everything in a crash and the learning curve associated with the software. It's taken me all this time just to figure out the analog stuff at this point and I am comfortable with the routine so, I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it, applies here, big time!

Toki and HeavyD and anybody else I missed here,

Thanks to everybody who gave my stuff a listen and I invite anyone else who cares to throw their two cents in as well.

I came here not knowing any of you and now, I am starting to feel a little more comfortable with a lot of you. You are all a great bunch of people and I can that there is a real family feeling to the board.

I will do my best to not be a dumb-ass in the future and listen first, make smart remarks latter!

Cheers!:)

Listening to "Set Myself Free" right now, man this takes me back. Its like it is 1982 again. I dig it, great sound.

Back