The Reach 1

chambie

Hello,
Could you guys listen to this and give me some feedback on how the guitars sound. The vocal is a "dummy" track. I mostly just have EQ on the guitars, along with a touch of chorus and reverb. I primarily have to rely on a headphone mix, or bounce it to listen on my computer speakers. Thanks in advance and i look forward to your thoughts and advice !
Lindsay

I made some changes, did it improve, or stay the same ,or get worse !!

Last edited:
Somebody needs to look into the soundcloud embed feature on this website. It hasn't been working for me for about 3 weeks.
Anybody else having this problem?

Anyhow,
the guitar is really distant. I get that you're going for a ballad but it sounds like the singer has a four meter neck and he's got a mic up close to his face and it's picking up the guitar in the background.
The acoustic guitar was a bit boomy. Scan the low mids for a resonant frequency or two.

The playing sounded nice.

I haven't seen the Soundcloud issue, but my computer warned me for a few days about malware on this page. I agree the guitar is distant. I'll end up redoing all of this i'm sure. I was a little leary of bringing up the volume too much. It was pretty muddy when i first started playing with it. Thanks for the input !

I think the malware problem has been fixed. The guitars definitely are too distant, and the vocal has more 'room' sound on it than I prefer (but that could just be me). Was this tracked in a room with no acoustic treatment?
The lower guitar parts, like in the lead section starting around 3:20, are very muddy and indistinct. I like the song, though!

Yes, this was recorded in a room with no treatment. I don't have a dedicated place to actually try and record in. The guitars were pretty muddy when i started, but i was actually able to clean some of it up. Thanks for the feedback. My headphones give me a false sense of clarity of things !!

Little bit of lo-mid booming. I see that's been noted....but I think it comes as a cumulative effect...so scoop a little out on every track. I don't mind the "distant" sounding guitars as long as the vocal ends back just a bit further when you get to really mixing this..

I kind of like the room sound. I think you should experiment with it though and try to make everything sound like a live setup and in the same room. The natural reverb certainly sounds better in my opinion than any electronic type. Just my 2 cents

Nice song too!!

Back