raw and stinky

Ok stinkman. Here goes... Aw, jeez... could this suck just a LITTLE more??

Damn.. this is clean... this is what you've been dooing since chaddy's been away? Mr. daddy-rock-star? Obsessing over mix quality? Day-am, Gina!

That really weird panning stuff is working pretty well.

I cant decide who should win in this mix--- bass gtr, or bass drum... Im thinkin there's too much "ambience" on the kick drum. Maybe use a "dryer" sample? You know? Mr. I-don't-understand-mix-terminology?

This could also kick more ass with a more lively, buzz-clicky-feedbacky real bass sound on it. You know... almost Fred Schneider B52-sy ballsy bass. With a bit more meat. No need to shave.

Very impressive... this shows some real improvement, and aside from the fact that it sucks ass, it's a great recording and coooool song :D :cool: :( :eek: ;)

Great song Jamal-strong, catchy melody-"desperation my old friend..." where have I heard this line brfore??? It will come to me...vocal performance is excellent as always-guitar tones are good enough-drums sound better than usual-what are you doing new?? The kick sounds like it pushes 0 every hit-but it doesnt bother me-mixmkr was right on with that lingering bass note freq causing mud, I thought the exact same thing at the end...You've got alot going on and its all coming through-multiple guitars-multiple vocals-drums are up front-one mistake I heard is the guitar at the turnaround around :58--Do you have a bass yet-it sounds like you got a 5 stringer??? Lead vocal panned left?

Anyway-very good song-and the recording is very adequate(doesn't sound "pro" but definetely listenable-gets the idea across just fine)....enjoyed it.

Oh yeah the lyric--I was thinking of Simon and whats his name-"Sound of Silence"...Hello darkness my old friend etc etc. not the same but not all that different either.....

Sounds great from here,I like em raw and stinkey!:D

I really liked the way you did the begining vocal/guitar.
Vocals up front and guitar way back.
Nice touch.

Great singing and playing all around as always.
Looking foward to the next take.

Pete

Nice Jamal.

A good "Jamal" mix for still being in the working stage.
Is that bass a Roland guitar patch???
mixmkrs suggestion would help, roll off the Bass guitar low end.

Your guitar playin is consistantly improving.
OR.....thats how a Les Paul sounds breaking wind.

This is really nice, I've listened a couple times and can't really add anything until I hear where you are going with it.

Nice clean vox, and the whole thing is balanced pretty good.
LMK if you would like me to mix it with my "A.S.S." plugins :D

Joel

The guitar and vocals sound great, the samples sound crappy. What are you using? It sounds like you put the samples together and miced your speakers...

:)

boydrj:..yep retracking the drums tonight hopefully..its funny after you have heard this TOO many times the vocals just grate on my nerves but thank you.;)

doug h:..yeah it was a different day totally that i recorded them ..so the pre wasnt set exactly the same ..after i fix some guitar stuff(couple of timing issues)..ill go back and redo the vocals start to finish to at least sound the same..GOOD CALL i thought they sounded diff bu ti wasnt sure it was enough to warrant redoing it....still not sold on the "eluding" chorus thing ..it seems like it needs something in that first chorus ...

m brane..i know EXACTLY what you mean its all direct recorded garbage ..i wouldnt know good tone if it punched me in the throat.....everything sounds soooo crispy and thin...UUUUAAGGGHHHHH:mad: ..see i need to find a guitar player with no goals of his own who wants to JUST do the things i want to do....that should be easy right?!?!?!....:D

dobro...thanks man ...its just you well i TRY to sound "polished"..its just a weakness..i cant help it ...i WANT to sound like its a "MUTT LANGE" production...only without all the hit potential and or money!!!..im glad you like it tho that helps...ahh ahhs need to come down a touch CHECK!

twist:..cool yeah the bass /drum FIGHT to the death is killing me..if i cut it the bass drum sounds like im punching a pillow..the bass is being taken care of by one of our resident ACTUAL KICK ASS BASS PLAYERS....so i dont have to worry about that thank god.

part-sissy-plant:...hey GOOD TO SEE YOU .
yeah alot was taken care of sound wise when i finally figured out the CORRECT way to record...lol...i dont want to name any names here but i hope the guy who will ultimately do the bass part..GUERNICA.....see what you suggested on the bass sound..sounds good to me...eventually i will just say screw it and set my damn drumset back up and record it that way ..maybe i can sell this yamaha elec piece o crap on ebay..and in glad you think it sucks soooo much ass..thats why were freinds!:D

stratomaster:...so what YOUR SAYING I SHOULDNT STEAL FROM ONE OF THE BEST SONGRWRITERS OF ALL TIME?!?!?....lol..yeah i hadnt thought of that maybe i should revisit the old pen and paper...damnit..only thing well...ok....see i saw "track rat" post somewhere that he had made a copy of the drum track then compressed the crap out of it ...and pushed it up under the normal uncompressed track...i tried it ...i MIIIIIIIIIIGHT have gone over board on the compression tho...:D your right the guitar is off time in the break too..(fixing )..no bass as yet..see other reply !and once again thanks for taking the time brother.

muzeman:..thank you pete..i almost went the other way with this in trying to go for a garage band "craplike" sound...im still torn as to whether or not this SHOULD sound polished...thanks again.

jcmm:...hahaha joel we must have the same processor with the "a.s.s."plugins...im using EXTRA HEAVY DUTY ASS this time to ensure i got a nice thick layer on it...i dunno must be some mp3 glitch that makes it appear as if my guitar playing is improving...lol..yeah its the "tight bass" preset i think ...i call it .."the first one i came to"...

fatt musiek:..thanks the drums are a yamaha dts elec kit...and YES the sounds suck..i cant seem to set the levels right so that everything sits good being that its all on one track...*sigh*...ok thats it ...im setting my drums back up this week....ILL BIGHT THE BULLET AND JUST DO IT ;)

Posted by Jamal-

"..i almost went the other way with this in trying to go for a garage band "craplike" sound...im still torn as to whether or not this SHOULD sound polished..."

I think you should consider doing something like that Jamal.

The begining was definitly the best part,with just the one guitar and voices.
Has a raw feel to it,very individual sounding.
When it breaks into the full song,it kind of loses that.

Mabey not a total garage band "craplike" sound,just somewhere in between.

Cool tune either way.:)

Pete

JB-
Nice work so far. You have some cool new stuff going on with that signature Jamal sound (and I don't me crappy recording...lol).
I mean your voice always shines in this type of song/music.

Things I liked: It's a great song with some great parts. The beginning panning was really cool. It also sounded very good. The entire structure of the song was great as well. It kept you interested throughout with a great build up.

Nitpicks (and I know you are going back to do some more work, but I thought I would throw in my 2): Drums distorting as you know. Bass/kick too loud. Can you beef up the distortion guitars (doubling, etc.)? Can you make the full chorus vocal not seem too far back compared to the verse, escpeicially starting at 1:26? It sounds better at 1:58. I think maybe the compression was squezing it too much making it sound thinner. It sounds better the rest of the way out.

I would also say if you are going for the garage band sound, the verb is too big/not right for the style and the panning does not fit IMO as well. I would say not go for the garage sound as the panning and verb are cool.

Really great song from you again, I look forward to the remix!

Cool song. Good singing and good harmonies. I'll comment further when the final mix is posted. I'm sure it'll be real good when completed.

One suggestion on the "ah ah ah's"... The two parts being hard panned didn't work all that well on headphones. I'd bring them closer.

from the title I thought this might be a song about an "oyster monger" :)
Catchy vocals, nice playing, sounds is ok. Y`ou know as much or more as I do about what to do on the mix.
Ken

Back