Rate me singing!

jambon

Hello all, PLEASE check out me singing at this site....

PLEASE THOUGH ABOVE EVERYTHING LEAVE SOME FEEDBACK!!!! ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!

Either email me (address at site) or post something here. Just you listening and saying nothing doesn't help me. Even if someone else said what you were going to say please say it yourself too!

Thank you, check out me singing.... It's not like my own song or anything. I just want to get a feel on how my singing is....

http://jambon2190.tripod.com

The first 2 songs there are the best ones :-)

Last edited:
Way too much reverb on you vox, and the music tracks are drowned out by that vox. At first listen (listened to the first track only and not all the way through), it reminds me of recordings done on a karaoke machine. Voice is a little pitchy in places as well. Might want to cut the reverb, adjust the mix, and get things sitting better - that might make a difference in the songs.

I know your primary goal was maybe just to have everyone check out your singing, but you'll need to work on the mix.

Hrm.... other than the fact that it sounds like you are singing in an aluminum warehouse because of all the reverb.

Don't quit the day job.

Stick with karaoke nights.

Reason:

Not the greatest tone. Lack of voice control (sporadic vibrato that's out of time). Pitch is all over the place. Worst sin of all--I don't believe your vocal lines, you have zero conviction.

Leave this up to the professionals. I know you were posting here probably looking to get various bodily parts sucked and lots of "atta-boys" and "great jobs" but this just sucks. If you want hollow compliments sing for your momma or drunks. Just please not here. :)

OK. I actually went back and read your little site. You don't have a recording studio, so my previous comments about the mix probably aren't a concern of yours (sorry about that). You're just laying down basic vocal tracks and looking for input. I will maintain one thing - cut the reverb. I also went back and listened again. Cloneboy was right on with the comment about conviction. It almost sounds like your reading the words and trying to sing them. Your timing is off in some places too - this I noticed in "Blvd Of Broken Dreams". There is no "soul" in your voice. Where are you bringing your voice from? Seems like you might be focusing on trying to sing your best, and leaving the heart out of it.

Honestly, how can you truly express yourself through someone else's song? Even if you *had* conviction it is counterfeit. Write your own material, or stick to karaoke nights.

I have a feeling this was recorded in a demo studio/karaoke thing and the amount of reverb was determined by whatever sound "engineer" was present. I use the term lightly because reverb that deep screams bad uneducated decision.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Reason:

I know you were posting here probably looking to get various bodily parts sucked and lots of "atta-boys" and "great jobs" but this just sucks. If you want hollow compliments sing for your momma or drunks. Just please not here. :)

geez man! you don't need to be an ass! I just posted here to get an idea on how my voice is progressing! If you read the site at all it would probably explain some stuff..

Like for example the fact that I don't think I'm the best or anything, I just want feedback on how I'm progressing with singing lessons...
I know a couple parts in some song are screwed, but I'm talking in general about overall sound of the voice.

I posted here for the soul reason that it was next in line, I post my singing everywhere to get feeback from every differant age group.

Which reminds me... how old are you's?

on another note, thanks for the feedback on stuff. Definatly some stuff to work on...

"It almost sounds like your reading the words and trying to sing them. Your timing is off in some places too - this I noticed in "Blvd Of Broken Dreams". There is no "soul" in your voice. Where are you bringing your voice from? Seems like you might be focusing on trying to sing your best, and leaving the heart out of it."

Funny you should mention that, first about time, the way I make the songs is to sing on one track ten mix it with the music and sometiimes timeing is slightly off the whole song :P
Also very true on the whole no soul thing... I was actually reading the lyrics to blvd while I was singing it... lol

But yeah, I am trying to work on the whole feeling of the song.

Again thanks, more feedback is appreciated!

Cloneboy Studio said:
Honestly, how can you truly express yourself through someone else's song? Even if you *had* conviction it is counterfeit. Write your own material, or stick to karaoke nights.

I have a feeling this was recorded in a demo studio/karaoke thing and the amount of reverb was determined by whatever sound "engineer" was present. I use the term lightly because reverb that deep screams bad uneducated decision.

ha, didn't see this one unless it was just done, very true.... I really should be writing my own, It'll be really hard to find a song of someone else that expresses me.

Also well again I made this with windows sound recorder and just slapped some reverb to the whole thing. Next time I'll just leave it out :-) Thanks

jambon said:
geez man! you don't need to be an ass! I just posted here to get an idea on how my voice is progressing! If you read the site at all it would probably explain some stuff..

It's nowhere near professional yet. Write a song of your own and give it an honest try. By far the worst thing is that I'm not 'feeling' it because you're not feeling it either.

There's no way I can say how your voice is progressing because I don't know where you are progressing from. Maybe post a clip from 2 or 3 years ago and I'll tell you how you're progressing.

He's better than JMG :D

Dude, you shouldn't ask if you can't take it. Although, Cloneboy was a little harsh (just slightly mind you).

What the hell is that noise at about :53 sec? Sounds like you hit your teeth on the mic or something.

lol, that sound it the mic moving.... I'm using a little pos headset. and evertime it moves the plastic clicks...

A comment though, yeah I can take comments I get I just thought it was kinda rude to incorporate the whole, me " expecting to get parts sucked and get alot of praise". I mean I never said I was amazing and tell me how amazing you thought I was... I mean he could have left that part out.. But I do respect the feedback, it helps. :)

I think next time I will go and get a professional recording done so people won't focus on it as much :P

Appart from the mixing problems, the first song sounds (very) inpure and out of tune at points. Only realy advice I could give you is get singing lessons.

jambon said:
A comment though, yeah I can take comments I get I just thought it was kinda rude to incorporate the whole, me " expecting to get parts sucked and get alot of praise". I mean I never said I was amazing and tell me how amazing you thought I was... I mean he could have left that part out.. But I do respect the feedback, it helps. :)

Yeah but the sheer volume of people that post stuff just to try and get 'warm fuzzies' is appalling. Sometimes I wonder if they even listen to themselves before they put it up because it is sooooo godawful.

Sorry if went a tad bit overboard on your motives.

well, apology accepted. I understand though about some people putting up stuff that sounds horrid and expecting praise...

Other than the bad mixing quality, and occasional wrong note I hope I don't fall into that catagory though :-) lol

Thanks again for your feedback there are definatly things I can work on.

Your singing wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be! On top of that, kudos to you for taking the feedback in stride. You kinda sound like you're going for a Toad the Wet Sprocket vocal sound (not intended as an insult--I own one of their albums, and I'm not going to publicly admit that I love it as much as I do! :eek: ). If I'm right in that assumption, be aware that their singer tends to force a little too much emotion into his pitch dives and what-nots. Try not to emulate that as much. Honestly, I think your vocals are moving towards the right track...you just need quite a bit more fine-tuning.

Everybody else has already said this, but I'll throw in my .02...even before I became a musician, I remember hearing singers that just didn't sound natural--so many friggin' effects on their voices, it just sounded like a choir of robots. It always seemed to me that it was a telltale sign that the guy just couldn't sing worth shit. Lay off of that stuff, throw down some natural sounds, mean what you say (good advice from the others), and I think you'll find yourself being happy with the results. I will say, it does sound like you have some natural talent. Keep it up, and keep it growing.

thank you! As for my singing style... I have no idea who you mentiioned are... but I'll check it out... for the most part from what I have hear I'm heading toward a matthew good style voice which is probably the same thing that you were describing.

NOw I actaully came here to ask another question.... Some people were saying that the songs I sang don't um how was it put have any soul so to speak... Now I'm really trying to undersatnd this becasue I think it's key and I think it also ties in with alot of how my singin is too much like other singers... lIke I'm singing to match notes and pitch and the singer voice exactly and not on the "feeling" of the song and what message/emotion need to come across.

So uh... where am I now? Yeah, so basically in order to fix this "no soul" problem it's a matter of singing songs that I really feel and relate to so to speak, ones where I can sing the words and truly mean it, or mean what I say in other words?

Either sing some other artists song (not overly recomended) or start writing my own, where it's just completly expressing the song and meaning what I say?

If any of that makes sence.... Does that seem like what I should do... well not so much do as let happen :-)

p.s. Just adding this now looked into Toad the Wet Sprocket talk about crazy... I do kinda have the same singing style... They don't seem too bad either lol!

Last edited:
A lot of people here fall into the same category that I do, which is a very "rock-centric" viewpoint:

Passion over pitch

Performance over pitch

I could really care less if a singer hits a few bum notes if they are really selling the song. Some of my favorite singers weren't 100% pitch perfect but they sang it so it didn't matter.

I like to hear people going for it, rather than going thru the motions.

In many cases, something doesn't truly rock unless it's a little bit loose in pitch or rhythm, or just letting those extra guitar strings rattle just a bit for the sake of slamming the guitar a little bit harder on the other strings.

mattamatta said:
In many cases, something doesn't truly rock unless it's a little bit loose in pitch or rhythm, or just letting those extra guitar strings rattle just a bit for the sake of slamming the guitar a little bit harder on the other strings.

totally agree. jimi hendrix was a master of both - bad vocals and yes, bad guitar. he really could play a guitar but with bum notes and dodgy stuff happening all over the place. but what made the man a legend is his soul going into what he did. he was relaxed (although due to substances...) and just played whatever.
learn the words really well, and understand them. relate them to you. one of the worst things you can do is sing using a lyric sheet, as it comes across passionless.
you have a voice with loads of potential, and character. now you just gotta add the 'soul' and you can only do that if you know/understand and relate to the song, and just let go...

although i would (following from the original comments) get something a bit better than windows sound recorder to do the deed. pick up some free sequencer software off the internet or just buy something like cubase, etc, get yourself a decent microphone and do yourself some justice.

what?? did you sing that when the songs were playing like some kind of background ?, and also I was able to hear some other voice right in the back,

1. That's why it sounds like a super-reverbtion.
2. Take some lessons, try to learn to use the diafragm, seriously.

Back