"Randian Funk Cowboy" - synth hop country funk

Do you have the lyrics posted somewhere? I'm always there for s***-talking Rand!

As to the mix. I'd say it's close. The high hat and vocals in the verses come through as a little sibilant. Sound like you're EQing a lot of the low end out of the latter?
The chorus/hook might be a little bit too wet. Everything gets a little bit lost in the wash of verb, etc.

Lots of cool little flourishes throughout the mix. Tho they tend to get buried too.

This is a cool song. It has a really nice groove. The vocal sounds like its mostly mids with the lows and highs cut out. That could be a style choice but adding back a little lows and highs would give your vocal more richness and would bring the focus to your lyrics. The low end of the song seems pretty quiet and could be boosted on your kick sounds and bass track. At the 4:15 mark, a lead funk guitar accompanies the vocal and they compete with each other a bit. The break and resume that happens at 5:15 is awesome.

Hell yeah! Are the lyrics making fun of Ayn Rand or endorsing her? Hmmm....you be the judge ;-)

I'm going for "wall of sound" on this mix. Yes that chorus is wet indeed, but stylistically meant to evoke the feeling of a "god" coming down through the sky...like a man who finds newfound confidence as the song implies. The sibilance is there but is it distracting? Every time I try to de-ess it cuts hi freqs that I really like. Way too many lyrics to write down!

---------- Update ----------

Do you have the lyrics posted somewhere? I'm always there for s***-talking Rand!

As to the mix. I'd say it's close. The high hat and vocals in the verses come through as a little sibilant. Sound like you're EQing a lot of the low end out of the latter?
The chorus/hook might be a little bit too wet. Everything gets a little bit lost in the wash of verb, etc.

Lots of cool little flourishes throughout the mix. Tho they tend to get buried too.

Hell yeah! Are the lyrics making fun of Ayn Rand or endorsing her? Hmmm....you be the judge ;-)

I'm going for "wall of sound" on this mix. Yes that chorus is wet indeed, but stylistically meant to evoke the feeling of a "god" coming down through the sky...like a man who finds newfound confidence as the song implies. The sibilance is there but is it distracting? Every time I try to de-ess it cuts hi freqs that I really like. Way too many lyrics to write down!

Really dig this. I second the chorus wall issue. Hard to understand what you are singing..I hear "coffee" and "tea" but that's about it on one of the parts and then the second chorus I can't make out anything. The verses themselves sound great and are understandable. The sibilance is bothering me but my guess is that its hitting the compressor making it a little more pronounced. You could always manually bring those areas down in gain on the stem itself and not lose the frequencies that you like. It won't hit the compressor as hard. Great job.

Really dig this. I second the chorus wall issue. Hard to understand what you are singing..I hear "coffee" and "tea" but that's about it on one of the parts and then the second chorus I can't make out anything.

This really has me really concerned because they sound crystal clear to me...I can't even figure out how you're hearing "coffee" and "tea" - perhaps conflating with the correct lyrics, "glory" and "story"....haha but then again I recorded the vocals so I know the lyrics!

Can anyone else please confirm if they can make out the lyrics of the chorus @ the 1:00 mark?

Last edited:
Back