rain

Cool, Liked the opening keys. Nice sounds.all around.

I"m hearing some bass on the vocals that could be more contained. Maybe it's my monitors, dunno.

the bass drum in the opening has a pretty dominant upper harmonic thats grates a little. I was listening for a lower tubby sound. Cool mesh of melody and backing. The string patch sounds good. I would have chosen a little more sustain than the abrupt ends on the envelopes of the notes at the end and the beginning. There`s a short incident in the vocals where when you sing really down low some of the frq gets lost in the wash. This was a really unusual tune. I like it :)

I like that opening..

remember how you said nobody mentioned your vocals being consistently loud? Well these vocals sound too loud to me when they come in.. almost bassy at times too.. I liked all the keyboard sounds.. probably could have picked a different string patch.. it's usually always happy time with your tunes..

b.sabbath

This is some strange stuff. Not my cup of tea, but the recording was very clean and the mix sounded good on my JBL's. The vocals were a bit high in the mix but other than that good production.
Myx

Very unique dobro. The music painted a picture of sittin in the house with the rain dripping to a constant rhythm. We've all heard the sound...you turned it into music. Good job. I think the vocals were just about right in the mix. My monitors have a freq. response to 56Hz and the kick sounded fine to me, except it sounded more like a bass guitar in a way. I'm assuming that's the dominant upper harmonic Toki's talkin about. Good job.

bd

Very cool opening......and the whole thing was cool and unique sounding. Vox was a little bassy and I think that's what made it sound a bit loud. I don't think it is though......just too much energy in the bass.
Pretty cool Dobro.....has that "Dobro Sound"

Excellent! Reminds me of some XTC stuff.

I really like your style. Your vocals worked real well for this one. I'm thinking "download" ... I really like this one! Can't think of any mix stuff.

Great job!

:D

Well, that answers all sorts of questions for me - thanks, everyone.

Doug, Sam, Steve, Myx - about the vocals - this is the first time I *haven't* rolled off the lower end on vocals, and different people heard it. Okay, I know what to do. Thanks to you.

Toki: thanks for the heads up about the kick sound and the suggestion about the epiano sound. I used a lot of generic sounds built into Fruity Loops. I find them weird to mix - they seem lacking some of the characteristics of the sound I record with mics, pod or DI.

bdbdbuck - yes, two impressions of the same thing - useful and useful. Thanks.

drstawl - cheers, doc - yeah, Fruity Loops, the poor man's synth.

boyd - :)

Wow!
Your songs are so well thought-out.
This one wasn't doing much for me at first, but everything
falls into place at 1:36 when you're firing on all engines. That's a moment we all want in a song. Very hard to achieve.
Is there real guitar in there? If yes, the tone you used compliments the synth very well.

Bravo

Yeah, real guitars and a real bass. The rest of it's from Fruity. And yeah, I like it when it opens up in the middle as well, but a more satisfying thing for me is when it goes into the last two verses with two guitars added to what was playing in the first two verses. It's like the break's added some energy so that things are a step higher for the second half of the song. I like things to *change* somehow in a song as it moves along - that's why I liked that pglewis cover of emeric's song so much - it was constantly changing in interesting ways. Sam does it too, and Sluice of course. I don't want to do it all the time in every song, but I want to learn how to do it better.

I'm on headphones.

You march to a totally different drummer. What do you listen to? My influences are pretty transparent, I think...You know...pop and country radio, lol.

Vocals can never be too loud for me.

I like the electric stuff you're doing towards the back half. It's a really DI'd kind of tone, but that's not a negative for me with this song.

Very easy on the ears.

Have a great day.

-The Self-Absorbed Dickhead

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

"The Self-Absorbed Dickhead" :D:D:D
Is that your new signature?!

HAHA HA HA HA !! That's pretty freakin' funny.

WHOOoooOOOOooooooo..... *wipes eyes* whew!

dobro

I was kinda like dimchandeliers not really getting it at first but i'm glad I hung in. And you do have your own sound to what you do.
I almost got a Doors vibe at times, you know:

soft parade, or
show me the way
to the next whisky bar.........that one.

You're different and thats GOOD.

Dan

Chris - thanks for the listen

"You march to a totally different drummer. What do you listen to? My influences are pretty transparent, I think...You know...pop and country radio, lol."

These days, I mostly listen to my own stuff and stuff here in the clinic - I seldom want to listen to music elsewhere, even in my own collection. Before that happened though, I listened to just about anything - I'd go from Willie Nelson to Beethoven to Coltrane. But when I'm in one genre too long, I get antsy and want a change.

hevy - hey, a Doors vibe is good! LOL Thanks.

I'm pretty much familiar with this one already, since I had a rough. i liked the tune too, its got that "stamp of dobro" all over it! You wisely didn't wait for me to try and put a steel on it. I am having a lot of trouble with that damn pedal steel these days so I think what you did in the break section fits better than anything I could have done.

I had no problem from the low end of the kick over here. And, how do you get everything so clean and clear sounding? I am envious!

cool

i've never heard anything like this before, its different for sure, but in a good way. I love the ending. very cool
-oko

Man, I'm really starting to dig your stuff. This one's really cool - kind of a surreal carnival feel to it. And your voice always has a little bit of a leer to it - like "c'mon and see the freaks."

These are compliments by the way.:)

No mix probs for me. And no way in hell is that vocal too loud.

Chris

Hey, Crawdad, this is just what came up on the wheel of time at this end - I just couldn't leave it alone - but if you ever wanna take a crack at it, I'd love to hear what you do with it. But I've decided to change my approach with collabs - from now on, I'm gonna play to my collaborator's strong suit. I listened to 'Supposed To Do' again last night. Truly magnificent music; I know what your strong suit is. :)

okobd - thanks for the listen and feedback

groucho - yeah, carnival's good LOL

Back