Radio Rock / Alternative Metal

o0Charlie0o

Haven't posted here in forever... Probably not since I suggested the whole mixing contest stuff with that "Lost" song of mine...

Anyways Recorded, Mixed, and Quickly Mastered by myself. I'm about to invest in some good studio monitors to better articulate everything since my current setup is a little dull.

Suggestions and all that stuff would be appreciated. I already got a swift talking to by John Vestman after I sent him the mix... heh

Charlie

Hi Charlie

I like it. Very good song and mix. I like the vocals, the drums and the guitars. Some might not like the extreme panning on the thums but I like that; The Cars used to do that. The bass is a bit crunchy but maybe that's what's required for this song.

Excellent work !

/Jack Real.

Thanks :) I think my biggest problem ever has been muddiness in my mixes and I might put the bass a little loud. I think it is due to my current monitoring situation though. I just use the 5.1 Logitech system on stereo mode with the 8 inch sub and bigger speakers.

I've been looking heavily into Monitors lately and have come to the conclusion that I really like the Event ASP8s and also the Mackie HR824. I'm probably going to be buying one or the other within the next week, but that is a whole different discussion.

I agree that some may dislike the Tom Panning, however I thought it was necessary since the Floor tom plays a key role in the verses. I guess it could go either way.

Kinda Tool sounding. :)
Very nice guitar riffs.
Mix sounds very punchy.
Guitars have a growly mid range which sounds pretty good.
That is some bass whoof at 55 secs. and 1:07.
IS that amount of lo end intentional? Thatwould be fun to hear in a club with the volume banged up! Would rattle tha shit out of folk!

What is the lo rumble noise anyway? A sample of some sort?

Awsome tune man. Does this band have a myspace or something?

Eck

Yeah that low end is intentional. It is to accenuate all the instruments coming in with the scream. That sound is actually a floor tom that I pitch shifted and then pitch shifted again on a curve for that record slowing down effect after a time stretch and then of course a lot of EQ and an Audio Exciter.

The Kick is gated and compressed on two alternating channels for the double kicks in order to keep the compresser and gates working as if the kicks were single and spaced.

http://www.myspace.com/rhenium

I be the guitar player.

Charlie

Sounds pretty cool. The only thing that really bugs me is the attack on the kicks. They just sound too artificial and obvious.

I really like this EXCEPT for the distortion effects. The guitars sound generic where as the rest sounds more individual. What were you using?
Nicely Toolish but with a better sense of melody (the voice also varies from confessional to menacing rather than being stuck in the one zone of paranoid sublimated violence a la Maynard) & the B/vox add to the difference too.

I have tried gating the kick drum before but I cant seem to get the gate to open and close right without kiling any of the kick drum.
Do you set up a compressor then gate after the compressor?

Nice touch on the lo Tom.
Thats original IMO.

Please could you explain the kick gate thing more. :)

Cheers,
Eck

Distortion is Mesa Triple Rect.

I could see why some people would dislike the attack on the kick. As far as getting that sound. I used an AKG D112 on the inside and a Beta52 on the hole. Some eq on an Allen & Heath mixer along with an insert on a DBX 32band eq. After that I gated it, then compressed it with a ratio of around 6, attack of 15ms and release of 50 then turned the output up before it clipped. Then I gated it again and set the attack up a little higher to not allow it to open right away (to kill some of the really high end of the attack).

From there I duplicated the track and on the second track I deleted all kicks except every other double kick beat (in which case on the first track i would delete the other every other kick drum so there was no overlapping). This allowed the software based inserts to act seperatly on the kicks and work just as powerful on the attack during the double kicks as if they were single hits.

Does that make sense?

Back