Rachel

IanW-UK

Here ya go fprod. This one was recorded in a bit of a rush and has some mistakes and "autotune" artifacts, but It's kinda grown on me. Oh and it's also a bit too "coldplay" probably.

Hope you like,

Cheers,

Ian.............

IanW-UK said:
Here ya go fprod. This one was recorded in a bit of a rush and has some mistakes and "autotune" artifacts, but It's kinda grown on me. Oh and it's also a bit too "coldplay" probably.

Hope you like,

Cheers,

Ian.............

do you have a CD? are you on mp3.com?

Nice song. It has a good feel to it. Nice separation on the guitars.

The guit on the left is a little abrasive. maybe pull back some mids?

Harmonies would be nice.

And yes I caught a few mistakes.

for a rush cut this was very good. I like the way you captured the vocals especially. Big open sounding mix.. :)

I like the tone on the right guitar, but if anything, I might turn it down in the mix just a tad. Great work, i want more sir!!!!!

Thanks guys,

Colinear, nope not on mp3.com and don't have a cd yet. We are making one though (these songs)

TripleM, I agree about the left guitar, I also think it's a bit loud in places. Thanks for the comments :)

Toki987, Thanks mate. Didn't do much, no compression or eq going in. The mic is a red 5 rv15, has been pretty impressive so far for the money :)

Echomancer, Cheers mate. Hopefully we will have more done soon and the website up and running :)

Thanks again all......

Awesome!
Great wide open sound. Love the snare - your tunes have had some of the best snare sounds I've heard.

I like how the song subtly evolves.

Great geetar tone too. What gear are you using? Fender amp?

Only mix tip I can give is to balance the guitar levels some. The left over powers the right. Ending might be a little abrupt too. If you can extend the fade out a little that would help.

Hey, do me a favor and let me know where in the song there are autotune artifacts. I've never used autotune and don't know what I'm listening for. Is the word "again" at 1:04 an example? And what's "coldplay"?

This one is definitly going on my playlist. It's great to hear more of your stuff.

Thanks fprod, the snare is a sample from "drumkit from hell" mixed with a sample of the snare from my drummers kit on "learn"

Thanks for the tip about the balance of the guitars, I never even thought of that. how would one go about sorting that when there's only one guitar part? double it?

as for the autotune stuff, I'm no expert. It's the first time I've used it so I'm still learning how to use it properly. Couple of examples if you listen carfully: 1:17 "proud" right as it's tailing off it sounds like a really fast vibrato which he didn't do. Also a little more obvious 2:07 "hair" sounds like he wobbled the note but he didn't. There's a load more dotted about. If I'd had more time I'd have turned it down a shade or only applied it to the parts that were really out

Coldplay is a band over here in the UK. The middle 8 bit sounds a little to close to their style for my liking (even though I did it :p )

Cheers,

Ian........

When you say one guitar part are you referring to the begining? I guess I'd pan it center and move it left when the second one comes in - or just leave it. If you double it I think you'd have to add delay or something, otherwise you'd just have a louder guitar part. It's more later in the song that I was referring to. The right guitar just sounds so good but it's overpowered. The little riff in the right guitar at 2:26-2:27 just made me go "ooh!" (and even my girlfriend can't always get me to go "ooh!").

And yeah, that was what I was hearing as far as autotune artifacts. But if you hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't have noticed. Now I know what to look for and am gonna have to start slamming people for it. :D

fprod south said:
When you say one guitar part are you referring to the begining? I guess I'd pan it center and move it left when the second one comes in - or just leave it. If you double it I think you'd have to add delay or something, otherwise you'd just have a louder guitar part. It's more later in the song that I was referring to. The right guitar just sounds so good but it's overpowered. The little riff in the right guitar at 2:26-2:27 just made me go "ooh!" (and even my girlfriend can't always get me to go "ooh!").

And yeah, that was what I was hearing as far as autotune artifacts. But if you hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't have noticed. Now I know what to look for and am gonna have to start slamming people for it. :D

Oh THAT guitar I only put that in to boost the last chorus, I didn't think anyone would notice it :D cool

btw, forgot to say, all the guitars are my tele through a guitar port.

erichenryus said:
so that's not a real drumset? damn, that sounds good!

I'm not so embarassed now that someone else was fooled too. That's one of the best real kits I've heard here - and it's fake!

That guitar tone had me thinking it was a vintage Fender amp too. Ian, you sure can make those fake instruments sound good!

Next you're gonna tell me I was listening to an mp3 and not a wav.;)

hey, very coldplayish - minus the falsetto.

You have a GREAT voice!!! very much like chris martins - but thats prolly not on purpose.

could just be the uk accent.

GREEAT voice! the guitars are a little out in spots and a little too loud as well.

I think also the constant ride is something coldplay uses a lot, but hey it suits this song too.

Well done!

i loved it

y

IanW-UK said:

Hope you like,

Cheers,

Ian.............

this is brilliant. if only the other folks that post in this forum could bring their offerings up to this level...

well done!

Re: Re: Rachel

super_critic said:
this is brilliant. if only the other folks that post in this forum could bring their offerings up to this level...

well done!

Now I KNOW you are deaf!

Some critic you are.You dont even have a feckin ear for a hit.

Re: Re: Re: Rachel

Kramer said:
Now I KNOW you are deaf!

Nice way to say you don't like the tune Kramer :rolleyes: ;)

Supercritic, Thanks for the kind words. However I think there are many many people on here who are far above the level of recording and mixing in this tune. Bit harsh methinks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rachel

IanW-UK said:
Nice way to say you don't like the tune Kramer :rolleyes: ;)

I didnt say I didnt like it.I just said it wasnt a hit or as high quality as "some" of the others on the board.You just got used as an example since super-dick posted that statement in your thread.Sorry man.:(

Your tune and recording is really good.Better than what I have been able to achieve but you understand where my comments were coming from.

Back