The Quiet One

crawdad said:
SluiCe--I think there are a couple of sports where more dynamics could actually enhance the lyrics. There's some underlying anger in some of the lyrics that could be brought out with a little rise here and there. I hope you like the finished version!I have been working on computer so long putting things together, I made a conscious decision to get complete songs that worked with vocal/guitar first. So I did that and added stuff just to get an IDEA of what the final thing might sound like. So from here, I'll build a solid drum track and add to that.

I've been taking a similar approach. It's fun that way too. And the alternative can be like trying to do calculus in your head, especially when you get into the 6-7 minutes range.

This will be another great one from you. (Already is, really.)

Ya' know what? I'm too damned drunk to listen to th song.................poot.
I'm tryin' but my fingers aren't working.....oh my gosh; is it 4:35 in the morning? Holy crap! I'm not gonna feel too good tomorrow....er...ah; uh....today. :p

Well, I bet if I could hear the song....it would blow my face off. Al is my favorite blues artist of all.......and he's a great writer too.
He's also a good friend....even though I never met his ass.....................
GUSH< Gush gush, gush, gush !!!!
Ok , if I don't go to bed now.......omigod!........someone took my bed!!!!.....oh wait....here it is. Whew!!!!! :D

crawdad, I have to agree with your theories.

Write about what you know! That's the way to translate your true emotions. I guess that's why very few yuppie spoiled brats become convincing blue singers. (Hee Hee) no offense meant to anybody.

Another comment you made was actually one of the daily songwriting tips posted over at harmony-central. It said something like; the details you "LEAVE OUT" of your song are many times the ones that become most intimate to the listener because they get to fill in the blanks with their personal experiences. Don't be too accurate and detailed. Let those listeners identify the song to hundreds of scenarios.

Just thought I would echo your comments. There is some great advice mixed in there and I just wanted reinforce what you said.

Again, I love the tune, and your writing in general.

Joe

since your looking for songwriting comments,

I'll say this is a great song, and as an added bonus, the recording is great! I really can't find one single thing to complain about.. Believe me I'm looking, but there is nothing..

and that rarely happens.. :)

great stuff Mr.C!!

Hey Crawdad,
Very nice song man. Your tunes have a certain aspect to them that makes them sound professionally written. (by that, I mean written by folks who crank out commercially successful songs for a living :) ) Your transitions and changes always sound very natural and intensionally aimed at the average listener, without sounding contrived. That "is" an art. .....As ive mentioned to you in the past ......Im not a country guy, ....but I am a Crawdad fan:)
great tune my brutha........gw/5

btw: got the pkg....I'll pm ya later in the week after a little.......digestion:). ......much thanks!!

crawdad said:
This is a demo of a song I've been working on. First, a disclaimer. This will be recut. I recorded ten songs as voice/guitar demos last weekend. This is one. Tried adding stuff to it--no click or timing reference so it was pretty hard to get perfection. Long story short--I am more interested in song comments than recording comments. :D

The Quiet One

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1522&alid=-1

There are a couple others posted too, but this is the one I am most interested in. Thanks!

Uh.."Gush":D . I love your voice. You're already famous in my book. Great song!

this is good, in the way that James Taylor is good.

nice ruffie. I like it... but I have gotten to old to gush.. I'll just beam with enjoyment;)

I am not a lyric writer for sure, but it does seem that in a couple places there seems to be a couple extra sylables trying to fit in there sometimes.

Hey Crawdad,

So, when are you going to make a trip to Nashville? I really think there's a market for your talent. Music Row is always in need of good songs. And your songs deserve a bigger audience.

I like the way you built up the crescendo of the percussions (drums introduced at 1:06)

The vocals are very good as ususal. The strings are especially nice and fit very well. I liked the cello at the end of the song.

By the way, what do you use to record the drums and strings? Do you use a synth?

All in all, good work!

KF

OK. I've got some thanks and catching up to do on this one...

SluiCe--(see how I remember to capitalize that C?):D Yeah, there is something satisfying about knowing that a song works with just voice and guitar or a piano. I feel like if I can get THAT to work, I can figure out everything else that can be added on. Plus, you then have the luxury of being able to perform it solo if needed. No excuses..."hey, I don't have my drum machine or my synth or my bass player, etc". Its not that I am against other methods, but its nice to be able to tuck your music and a guitar under your arm and be able to go anywhere and play the song, knowing that it "works" as is.

Smokepole--Yeah, man! Recently, I heard a song called "I'm Movin On" (not the Hank Snow tune) by Rascal Flatts. That song was so wide open lyrically--you could plug any experience into it and it would work. That was really inspirational to me. I thought--AH! being vague about certain things is a strength, not a weakness. I hate to over analyze writing and all, but this idea seems to hold some water.

Lt. Bob--are you partying without me?! Damn, that ws a funny post! Enjoy your vacation--and be sure to think about me--her in this damn frozen north where the highs will be in the 20's all week!

B. Sabbath--Thanks for those words! The final recording is going to be better--much better--if I have to sweat blood to make it so. I just want to add that even though we are polar opposites in the type of music we create, that I have a ton of respect for you and your many talents. I appreciate your open mindedness to be able to listen to something like this without having to say "Well, I hate this kind of music but this is pretty good considering I hate this kind of stuff" :D I do hope you know I am pulling for artists like you--you have gifts which should be used by the world.

Guernica--Thank you big guy! One of the things I am trying to do now is write like I used to write--which was from the heart--before everybody and their brothers publisher tried to steer me in directions that seemed good at the time, but weren't really so smart. I've reached a point where I have to make myself happy first. I could die tomorrow, so I want to spend today writing music that means something to me. Its all I'm gonna leave behind, so I want to be proud of my legacy, no matter how insignificant it may be. :D

Sky Blue Lou--Crying is OK. Mixmkr said nothing about crying, only gushing. :D

David--Thanks for your comments. Now, if I could only find 250,000 more people who felt like you...I could be a minor hit! :D

Mixmkr--beaming is OK too, its just the gushing that is taboo. :D Chrisharris suggested a slight tempo change, which I think is a great idea and will make the words come out more flowingly. I should stop smoking and climbing stairs to do recordings too--that would help! In summary: beaming 'good', gushing baaaddd', tempo change good, gotta stop smoking--not prudent at this juncture.

Knopflerfan--I am going back to Nashville at some point. Right now, I am just writing and trying to get some good takes of the songs. Once I get enough stuff together, then I can pick what to take and target to that market. I want to have too much stuff before I go rather than too little, since I haven't been there for almost six years.

The drums and strings were a synth--a Yamaha Motif that I just got. I'm still tryin to figure the thing out, but I think its gonna be pretty awesome compared to what I had before.

Worth every bit of the 5 stars it is rated.Excellent songwriting.You seem to have a decent magick formula...

Songs like these about truth and life seem to rise and find a place of their own, like a rembrandt in a gallery, they tell their tale with no need for a supporting story. 'wonderful tune.

another good 'un man....( i'm sober after this gig....me and dtb :D )
I'm late to this one 'cause of the demon rum........so I'll just echo everyone elses gushy remarks. No surprise since I am officially your biggest fan.

BTW.....talking to the wife last nite and it looks like we're coming up there around June.

This is so cool.

"Reports of my demise were premature". Indeed.

Writing style: aside from the internal rhymes, I like the way the last section starts with a line that mentions the 'quiet one' instead of just leaving it in the refrain - I like it when the boundaries disappear a bit at times.

Those string stabs (eg. 0.35 - 0.40) are magic.

You know, don't you, that you have a storyteller's voice. This one's lovely, but you could do a second song, a spinoff, where you recount some actual biography, some details, or tell a story with a beginning, middle and end. See, for me, what works most powerfully for me is those three words - the quiet one - the song philosophizes its way along, but those three words that make that image of a quiet person sitting in a bar just put the hair up on the back of my neck for some reason. If that 'quiet pool of water' image was in the context of some storytelling, damn! If you don't do it, I will. LOL :D Same offset juxtaposition, different words. New story. Do it.

Hey, Lt Bob - it looks like I'll be in Vancouver BC in June, and Alberta as well. Michigan's not that far, right? You guys wanna pop over for a drink? :D

dobro.......I asked my wife how far it is from her parents' house ( they live in Canada and we're going there too) to Vancouver and she said far, far, far....then she laughed at me. :D

Holy Crap!!!

Sounds like another really good song. I will be listening to this a lot more. I haven't heard anything that sticks out terribly that sounds wierd or anything. After I listen to it some more I'll let you know if I have any comments. Sounds damn good the first few times through to me though.

I hope write that well one day. Nicely done.

Back