quick songwriting check

powderfinger

this is kind of an odd post, as i'm not exactly looking for a mix critique....

there's a song i've been working on...i've got the verses worked out to where i'm really happy w/ them....i was having trouble finding a chorus though, but then tonight, right as i sat down, the first thing i played worked really well, but almost came too quickly.....

i'm basically wondering if i could have subconsiously nicked it from somewhere......do you guys recognize the melody?

i can't place it anywhere...which leads me to believe that it just came to me, but i wanted to see if you guys might know if it strongly resembles anything.........don't want to get too far, then have to turn around

i set up a mic and played the chorus section to make sure

the clip is only like ten seconds

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154

thanks guys

no one song comes to mind, but a lot of different ones.. I would use it though.. the vox were slightly off pitch, but I'm sure you know that.. could be pretty catchy!

Jamal, Kramer, and Sabbath.......thanks for the quick listen......your replys are enough to ease my worries......

everyone can let this thread die now........thanks

the chords aren't anything new, but I think your off key vocal gave it an unique taste. Try change the chords, throw in a coupld of off key chords in there to fit the melody you have on vocal right now. You might come up with something really fresh :)

just my 2 cents

AL

and I'm not sure who did it first-but i think elo nicked that melody from Alex Chilton (big star)-song called "kangaroo"-off the album sister lovers.

My 2 100ths of a dollar...

That's different enough from "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" to keep you out of trouble.

The cadence of the melody is the same, but the notes are certainly different.

Signed,
TripleM, copyright attorney

and I'm lying about that last part. :D:D:D:D

Yeah, about that Powderfinger: I wouldn't get too hung up on it right now. Kramer mentioned yesterday that everything comes from somewhere...either consciously or unconsciously [edit - "subconciously," lol...even I don't write in my sleep]. And like Strat said, ELO didn't exactly invent it either, LOL. I'd be willing to bet that if we all did this exercise with just an acoustic and a vocal melody, we'd ALL get some "it sounds like X" with our tunes ('cept maybe Sluice and B.SABBATH).

In fact, when I'm having trouble writing, I take one of two approaches. Sometimes I'll take the words of a song that I know and use them in a new melody, to get some different phrasing going on; this gives a new tune structure...then, I'll go back and write new lyrics...or, I'll take the exact melody from a song and put new words to it, then write different music around it later. Both of 'em rarely end up sounding like whatever I ripped, and I usually get SOMETHING out of it, even if it sucks. It's a little crutch.

Last edited:
thanks for the help everyone............

elo is a bit before my time, so i can't place what 'can'
t get you out of my head sounds like'....i'll take ya'lls word for it though.......

i'm starting to think that, regardless, the part i wrote wouldn't be the best fit for the song......we'll see i guess

chrisharris said:
Yeah, about that Powderfinger: I wouldn't get too hung up on it right now. Kramer mentioned yesterday that everything comes from somewhere...either consciously or unconsciously [edit - "subconciously," lol...even I don't write in my sleep].

LMAO!It's not a good thing to quote my illiterate ass Chris.:D

Back