A quick song for your listening (dis?)pleasure

HomeRec

Here is a link to a band site contatining a song that was recorded and mixed rather quickly for a radio contest entry. The link is below:

Click here

I got a lot of help from people on this bbs when putting together my home studio, and wanted to share the fruits of my (and their) labor.

There's only one song on the page at the moment, but there are more coming soon. Have a listen and let me know what you think.

...oh, and please try not to laugh too hard...

I would listen to your song if it was downloadable, b/c this computer can't stream audio (no audio hardware)...

If it were downloadable, I could network it to the computer w/the soundcard...

Hopefully someone else can check this out for you

Chad

Hm... no comments...

Anyone? (...one? ...one? ...one?)

P.S. - Sorry, Chad... thanks for trying, though. :)

P.P.S. - Just in case the other songs make it to the page, the title is "Mistress Carrie Theme Song"

Last edited:
I am not a member of MP3.com and so, I can't check out your stuff! I am sorry.:(

If you set up a page at NoWhere-Radio or Sound-click, we can listen to your music without having to sign up for anything.

Cheers! :)

** Update ** new songs

There are now three songs up on the aforementioned mp3.com site, including two new songs from a CD and one from the previously-mentioned contest. Have a listen, and let me know what you think. (*duck*)

NOTE: I realize many people, such as TGOFM, are not mp3.com members. When I listen to music on mp3.com, I don't create an account... rather, I enter random information to get past the "sign-up" screen and get to the music. You have to do it again if you wipe your browser's cookies, but you can listen to mp3.com music without signing up.

Here's the link to the site again, for your convenience.

P.S. - One star for this thread? Aw, c'mon... have a heart...

** Update: Downloads available **

All right... the songs are now available for download as well as streaming. If you can stream the files, please do so, but if you need to download, that is available as well. Either way, let me know what you think... (*cringe*)

Here is the link to the site once again... wow, I should consider demanding advertising commissions from mp3.com! :D

(After all this, wouldn't it be ironic if everyone hated the songs?) :p

P.S. - As a side note, do you think the song "Understand" would fall under "Rock" or "Punk"? It's listed as "Rock" right now.

P.P.S. - If you like the songs, please rate this thread... There hasn't been any feedback, but the thread has a "1-star" rating. :(

Sorry man, but we have to register even to strem the song!

Why don't you put this on NoWhereRadio or SongClick just like the other guys suggested? Everybody can listen it from there without having to register.

BS

I saw three songs. I had problems downloading Apropros, but had success with Understand.

I liked the rhythm guitar tone you got and part you played. I liked the feel when the chorus kicked in. I liked the drums.

The lead guitar part was nice, and well played. The tone on it was lacking a bunch mids. Sounded like it was on the other side of an oak door, if I can describe it that way.

I think you could get a little more kick out of that bass. Perhaps some EQ boosts in the lows to give it more strength and a boost in the 800hz range to give it some more defined attack? The song would have a better feel with a good hard driving bass part.

On to the vocals...
Honestly they're the weakest part of the song. Some struggles to hit the low notes. Some wavering on pitch. The vox are pretty dry too. This song practically screams for harmonies.

Hope this helps...

BloodShark

See my post above regarding mp3.com registering. I may do Nowhere Radio, etc. now that the songs are downloadable, but for the moment, you can get to the songs without having to give personal info to mp3.com.

TripleM

I appreciate the honest comments. I would ask that you try Apropos again (I didn't have any problem downloading it). Understand is the first song I mixed, and is different than pretty much everything else on the CD in that respect. Also, have a listen to The Mistress Carrie Theme Song (A later-mixed song), which has a lot more reverb and some harmonies in it. One thing about the CD; I finished it, it sounded okay, but I got the feeling I jumped the gun putting it out. Your comments on Understand seem to back that up. Man, I hope I don't have a multi-K turkey on my hands :p

Keep the comments coming, folks. Feedback, good or bad, is always helpful.

It worked for me this time. The first time I got sent to some page that had "the top 40 something-or-other's on MP3.com."

Again, good guitar sounds. Good parts. Good lead guitar work.

I didn't care for the synth-bass sounds. It doesn't fit the style IMO.

You were overdriving the mic a bit during the chorus. I'm hearing distortion on the vocal track during those portions.

Borderline plosive at 1:40. Other spots too.

The vocal delivery is still the weakest part of the song. Pitchiness and wavering throughout the choruses. Doubling the vocals would suit your music style. Gotta get the delivery nailed though.

The chorus needs harmonies IMO.

Apropos......nice tune....I think the recording sounds good.......nice sounds on everything, bass is a little ill-defined but there......drums sound good and the vocals are clear.....nice job on the recording.
Vocals are the weak link.....during the rap stuff they're fine but at the chorus they waver in pitch and sound kinda weak.
I'd try dbl tracking the chorus or add a harmony.....something to strengthen and cover them.

Mistress carrie.....is that the same drum beat, just slightly slower. Same comments as above but the vox seems a bit stronger on this one.

Understand.......man you guys gotta learn a different beat, oh...here we go......I think I like this one best.........

All right.....all three songs show some real creativity and you have some skills in the recording/mixing process. I think the area you need to concentrate on is the vox. Not that it's bad mind you....but it's a little unsure as far as pitch issues go and the sound is sorta thin. I'd try a different mic or different EQing or dbl. tracking or harmonies or all of the above. It needs to be fatter and stronger and more on pitch.

Nice work.

yesterday I was riding the bus and I overhead 2 people talking. They were saying something about nowhereradio.com. I couldnt make it out but sounded as if they liked it better than mp3.com.
I noticed the big verb on the snare. Sounds different than modern snare sounds wich is different and nice. I dont under stand why the vocals are so muffeled. The ending was kinda of funny in a way. It sounded like drunk fat guys at the bar when somebody scores a touchdown. Not bad, enjoy your studio!

TripleM

Dead on with the vox... don't know why I didn't re-track the vocals, but they were a bit hot.

Define "plosive"... haven't heard that term before

Argh... three month of vocal training, and I still missed. :p You should've heard the first run, before vocal training. Good friend's feedback was the reason I ended up in training in the first place.

Hopefully, my delivery has improved... Carrie is a more current song than Apropos or Understand, and may sound a bit better.

Lt. Bob

Thanks for the comments, both positive and negative, espcially the positive on creativity and recording skills (I'll take your word for the latter :D ). Question... is it the delivery or recording/tracking of the vocals that is the problem?

FWIW, the vocal mic was a Shure SM-57.

What is "doubling"? Is it creating a duplicate track of the vocals?

tjohnston

I'm guessing you listened to the Mistress Carrie Theme Song. If so, the vocals were intentionally muffled and incomprehensible... good luck making them out! :D

I'm trying to sign up with NowhereRadio, but getting _no_ luck, as I can't seem to receive a confirmation e-mail from them.

Keep the comments coming, all. They build character!

Hmmm.....didn't really make any flat out negative comments...oh well.

The delivery is fine.....the only issue is what TripleM referred to.....pitch problems. They're not very bad mind you, but they are there.
And the sound of the vox....well, I would like a bit more 'fullness' to them. I'd try EQing it differently...specifically I'd trying bumping up the EQ around the 800hz area.

Lt. Bob said:
Hmmm.....didn't really make any flat out negative comments...oh well.

Oh, no, no, no... I didn't mean that you posted something like "You should consider food service... better pay, and more chance of success in your case." :p It was more for the constructive criticism on the vox, which I do appreciate. "Negative", in this case, is a very relative term. Sorry if I maligned you there... poor choice of terminology.

I edited my previous post to ask about "doubling"... what exactly is it? Just copying the vocal track?

Last edited:
Well....if you copy it you'll need to offset the time by a few milliseconds. I was talking about singing the exact same part again and then mix the two together. Then you can pan them to the same place or pan them slightly apart or EQ them slightly differently or use FX on only one of them and so on. When you mix two close to identical vocal parts together......they tend to cancel out the pitch fluctuations. It's a great technique. You can either just sing it again as closely as you possibly can to the original (trust me, it'll never be exactly the same) or copy it to another track and timeshift it slightly.

Cool... thanks for the technique, Lt. Bob... I'll definitely keep it in mind for future recordings. :)

BTW... a little off-topic, but is that your picture playing the sax? I play alto, myself.

Keep up the feedback, all... I want to hear it. Really, I do. :D

Yep sax is one of my main axes.
If you're curious.... www.nowhereradio.com/wondercow/singles
and somewhere on there is a song called Life #9 which I did via internet with another homerecer.

EDIT: fixed the link and 2 other songs have sax.....The Blues and We Haven't Named It Yet.
All 3 are tunes done in collaboration with Homerec members

A plosive is a "distortive" little sound caused by air rushing over the grill of a mic. You'll get it a lot on "P" sounds (among others). When you hit the first "P" sound of Apropos you can hear it.

You can buy a pop filter. It's essentially a little nylon screen that you clip to a mic stand. You put the screen between the mic and the singer's mouth. It stops the rush of air before it hits the mic. They cost $25 or so. You can also make one out of a wire coat hanger and old pair of nylons.

Yeah truly doubled vox would be nice. But you gotta sing the part twice. None of that duping and delay stuff for me. :D

Back