A quick song for your listening (dis?)pleasure

TripleM

Here's the odd part... I used a pop filter. Mic stand clip, snake neck store-bought $25 wind screen pop filter.

Maybe it was set up too close to the microphone...

HomeRec said:
Maybe it was set up too close to the microphone...

Could very well be. I called them "borderline" because they were very small.

I tried putting a pop filter about an inch or slightly less from a condenser once. I got borderline plosives and haven't done it again.

TripleM said:
I tried putting a pop filter about an inch or slightly less from a condenser once. I got borderline plosives and haven't done it again.

There you go.. sounds like almost exactly what I did. :p

Anyone else checked out the songs? I know you're out there... I can hear you laughing... ;)

For those who are genre-cautious, the listed genres are "Rock" and "Heavy Metal".

P.S. - Still nothing from Nowhere Radio yet... I'll let you all know when/if I finally get signed up.

Oh, well...

Between the feedback I've gotten here and from various acquaintances, both personal and professional, it seems that this CD was... well, a mistake.

Reviews on the music and the songs themselves have been good, but the vocals pretty much seem to kill any possibility of this becoming a commercially viable entity, barring some great oversight on the part of myself and everyone else I've talked to regarding the public's taste in music.

I suppose if I could disseminate any wisdom to the scores of new musicians looking to put out their first CD, it would be this:

Don't jump the gun! Make sure you're ready before cutting your first CD. Get honest criticism... and listen to it. And then, try to hedge your bets by spending as little as possible for a good-quality product - don't break the bank on your first CD, or it may break you.

Otherwise, you could end up nearly broke with several thousand dollars worth of high-grade polymer, plastic and shrink-wrap collecting dust in a closet somewhere.

Sorry for the rant... I'm just not in the best of moods at the moment.

P.S. - Please, please, please don't take this to mean that I resent criticism of and comments on the songs... they have been accurate and extremely helpful. I'm kicking myself, not the reviewers.

Oh lord.........I'm sorry you spent that much money on a project that you're now not satisfied with.
I know this won't help at this particular moment......but those of us who gave you feedback learned by doing similar things.

I'd have a nice RV if I could have back all the money that I spent before thinking twice. :)

Don't stop though.....you obviously have talent and good writing skills. The singing will get better with work or you can connect with someone who's a singer but not a writer or player.
Good luck and stick around!

I listened to both tunes, it's not like you can't sing and the music is actually pretty good. It's just really not suited for this style of music, that's my feeling anyways.

Understand: The guitar and drums sound great, if slightly too far panned. I actually don't think the vocals are that bad. I think the recording/mixing of them needs improvement, but your voice seems fine, just need to record it in a better way I guess. Are the drums real?

Honestly HmRec, a tad too much clicking to audience your songs!

I'll try again 2-morrow!

And you're right, U don't deserve 1 star! I'm givin' U props for posting your jointz in the 1st place!

Thanks for the feedback!

terrible_buddhi
Yep. Worcester Area, MA. (see mp3.com/NWR location).

Good to hear from another WAAF listener. :)

CanopuS
Appreciate the vote of confidence, C... I've been getting a lot of varying feedback on the vocals. Maybe it's the way it was recorded, maybe the performance, maybe the voice itself... I really don't know. Whatever the reason, all fingers seem to point to the vocals.

Before I answer the question about the drums, what do you think? ;)

MISTERQCUE
Sorry about the clicking... here are direct links to the NWR/mp3 pages:

mp3.com page (contains all three songs)

Nowhere Radio - Mistress Carrie Theme Song

Nowhere Radio - Understand and Apropos (from ep1)

...and thanks for upping the rating on this thread. :)

Everyone
As you can see from the Nowhere Radio page, there are actually three other songs on ep1... I'm thinking of posting them, since every song on the CD has its own style.

Forever is more of a "ballad-ish" song, done with elec. acoustic, Fisheries is a more straight-ahead rock song with bizarre lyrics, and Misery is a pretty straight-edged metal song. I was originally holding songs back to provide incentive to get the CD, but I think I could use all the feedback I can get at this point.

Let me know if anyone would be interested in hearing these other songs, and which song(s) in particular you'd like to hear. I'm not sure all 5 songs plus the Carrie song will fit (NWR free has a 15MB limit), but I'll get what I can up there.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the quality feedback - keep it coming.

may I ask who recorded it? Also, do you still have access to the raw tracks? I think recordings for the most part may be salvageable, but to me one of the reasons the vocals don't sound good (I only listened to one song), is because they are just kind of left out in the mix and are very dry. If you can get access to your tracks something maybe able to be done to make it sound a bit better.

The quality to me seems...'demo-ish', which beleive me...my first recording didn't even live up to. While I would grade my current stuff...demo+, but I got there by asking a lot of questions...posting...changing..repeat.

I am in a local band...Lusting Kay, your band name sounds very familiar to me...we have played Ralphs, Lucky Dog, etc. I am also on the wormtown site a lot. Look forward to hearing from you.

terrible_buddhi said:
may I ask who recorded it?
(raises hand) Yo.
Also, do you still have access to the raw tracks? I think recordings for the most part may be salvageable, but to me one of the reasons the vocals don't sound good (I only listened to one song), is because they are just kind of left out in the mix and are very dry. If you can get access to your tracks something maybe able to be done to make it sound a bit better.
I still have all of the songs available in raw form... the problem is, the CD is already pressed... so even if I was to fix up the vocals, it still wouldn't appear on any commercially-available CDs for quite some time. I may still go ahead and do so, but it would be mostly for experience and possibly for a future pressing.

Which song did you listen to, by the way?
The quality to me seems...'demo-ish', which beleive me...my first recording didn't even live up to. While I would grade my current stuff...demo+, but I got there by asking a lot of questions...posting...changing..repeat.
It is (pretty much) a demo. It's referred to as an EP to make it sound a bit more marketable, as the original plan was to sell the CDs in stores and at shows. Good to know that I at least got demo quality. Believe you me, I'm not going to press any future projects without a lot of "lather, rinse repeat"ing.
I am in a local band...Lusting Kay, your band name sounds very familiar to me...
Really? I mean... *ahem* cool. ;)
we have played Ralphs, Lucky Dog, etc. I am also on the wormtown site a lot. Look forward to hearing from you.
Do you have a site/links to your songs? Love to check it/them out.

EDIT: Never mind... found your site. Sounds good! :)

Last edited:
Back