Quick Drum Recording in my Home Studio

Camazza

Hello guys, first of all I'm Alessandro from Italy. I've recently set up a modest Home Studio, we'll use it to record our own stuff and also do some cheap recording for local bands. We're focusing on good sounding recordings to keep post-production to a minimum. I really like to hear all the nuances of an instrument and not overproducing it to sound "commercial". Philisophical stuff aside, here's a little recording I've made of a hand-built drumkit my drummer is thinking of buying. The heads are really old, so please keep this in mind while listening to this.

Our equipment currently consists of 3xElectroVoice ND468, 1xAKG D112, Shure SM57, 2xAKG C-1000S and an m-audio Fast Track 8r.
Here I've used the AKG c1000 as Overheads, the shure sm57 for the snare, the EVs for the toms and the might D112 for the bass drum. The resonant head on the kickdrum was cracked (we didn't have time to replace it) and the D112 was inside the bassdrum, pointing away from the beater (sounded like a good idea, turned out to be a little muffled...). OHs were in an ORTF configuration, approx 60cm from the top of the cymbals.

Mixed with a pair of KRK KNS-8400 using studio One and a couple of Waves' plugins. It's a rough mix. I'm very excited to hear what you guys have to say about it. I can provide additional info on the mixing if it helps.

[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3li50zii7bz8gpy/Mixdown%284%29.mp3?token_hash=AAEwgtvQ7MCRF13wSuKdC9QyV4cEhEdkQHxJkWsfpkTQ-Q&dl=1[/MP3]

Last edited:
Come on guys, just a quick feedback! He's waiting for the recording do decide whether to buy the drumset or not :)

Back