"Pura Vida"

Amazing guitar skills ! Sounds like Ulli Jon Roth on acoustic guitars. But your voice is way better than his.

Last edited:
Man, your acoustic tone and playing just gets better and better! Vocals sound good - how long you been singing? Even the shaker sounds great! :eek: What's your main large diaphragm mic? Must be the room too....damn! That there was sure purrdy :) :D:cool:

fred-
thanks man, for the kind words. don't hear the name uli roth everyday! that's cool....
i can't say that i've ever heard him sing, yet i've heard him play all the way back to early scorpions....

aaronmcoleman
thanks for listening....
yes, it's hard to do this kind of tune, and NOT invoke memories of CSN...
sometimes people point to the Eagles, but the vibe is different on this one, probably closer to the CSN thing.

maximus
thanks man! for the kind words and all..
i've been singing since i was 6 years old, started in church.
i did a Full time road gig, playing in cover bands for almost 6 years.
i must have learned a thousand songs, and had to sing on most all of them, either backup or lead, that's a real good school for learning how to sing... trial by fire!!!
LOL
tech questions answered below--->

glomu
thanks, i appreciate it.

tomanderson1991
thank you, that guitar is my taylor 414.

Strumbone
i get the 'yes' thing fairly regularly....... don't understand it completely, but i have a lot of progressive music influences, and it sneaks out there and there.... i sing some high harmonies, and my guess it that somewhere in the way i do it, sounds familiar to folks who dig the old classic yes tunes.
i never learned a yes tune myself, but have always been a fan.

tech stuff:

taylorvh.jpg

I used my 2001 Taylor 414 for the guitar tracks...
close miced with a Audio Technica 4033 and a ADK Hamburg.

there's no real trick to the mics, i just have to put on the headphones (since i am my own engineer!) and 'listen' to what the mics hear, and move them around until i get what i want out of them.
my idea is, to get them as close as possible, but not pickup finger noise, or heavy breathing, or burping or rustling pants noise, that kind of stuff.

run that, into the mic pre: A Designs Audio MP-1, into a DBX MC-6 compressor, and into a convertor.
i use that compressor for color, and to just kiss the levels down, i would guess 2db with a medium attack and longish release..i print this IF i hear it right in the tracking headphones.

typically, one mic pointed at the bridge, another pointed at about the 12th fret.
sometimes, i'll float the mics over my shoulders, looking down on the guitar, the same as my ears would be hearing it from above the guitar.... but this is usually more trouble than it's worth, and you pick up more room sound, than when it's directly pointing at the guitar.

the vox, the same setup as the guitar... i might have tracked a couple of backup vox with a sm57, but i prefer the ADK on my voice. adds a little grit.
bongos, shaker, done with the AT4033.
bass is a carvin LB 70 thru a sansamp bass DI and into the same preamp setup.

this started out as a loose demo, and rather than start it over, i just built onto it with more tracks.
i built the entire rhythm track, before i ever even wrote the words.

it was one of those 'one afternoon' kinds of things, i might have spent half of 2 days total tracking this thing.
it's a bit loose, but i let that go, thought it had more feeling being a bit sloppy than if i had tightened it up.
its supposed to be rock and roll.
heheh

james
thanks man... glad you dig it.
and thanks for checking it in mono..... not many people do, and it's good to know if it translates or not.

i love doing the acoustic songs, i have a bunch, they just don't get as much air time.

boti89
thanks, appreciate the kind words

jeffmaher-
ear candy! a great King's X album....
heheh
i've got TWO new acoustic-based songs on my new album i'm putting together right now, if you dig pura vida, you'd dig these new ones too....

Back