Punk Rock Track

I'm not debating or challenging that. I get it. But when I listen to it and play along with it, I'm playing to 75 cuz that's how I'm hearing the tempo. I set the metronome first to 150 and then to 75. 75 sounded better. And guess what? When I play along with it that way, it works.

I'm not debating or challenging that. I get it. But when I listen to it and play along with it, I'm playing to 75 cuz that's how I'm hearing the tempo. I set the metronome first to 150 and then to 75. 75 sounded better. And guess what? When I play along with it that way, it works.
OK, calm down. I get it, too. 300 would also work, as well as 37.5. It's just math. As long as it works for you.

So you think in half time but play in real time.
Weird.

Last edited:
So you think in half time but play in real time.

Yeah. What I'm wondering about now is what effect the way you perceive tempo has on the way you play. I'm also wondering whether changing the way you perceive tempo ("Okay, I'll track the first guitar part in 150. I'll do the solo in 75.") is learnable. Gotta play with this.

Yeah. What I'm wondering about now is what effect the way you perceive tempo has on the way you play. I'm also wondering whether changing the way you perceive tempo ("Okay, I'll track the first guitar part in 150. I'll do the solo in 75.") is learnable. Gotta play with this.

It is interesting and probably does affect the way someone would play something. Especially something like a solo, which uses improvisation. I'm sure it would change the way one approaches that, just based on the different feel.

Sure. But you study what other people do. And then you do that. I'm impressed by that, but I never do that. I invent, and build on what I've invented and then throw most of it out the window and invent again. I've never studied how anybody else plays in my whole life. That's why I'll never be able to play Ramones the way you do. It was fun playing along with that Ramones medley you linked to, though. Dobro plays with the Ramones haha. The barre chords thing is obvious. The thing about gain/distortion is news to me though, cuz I never play at those levels.

I think we've gone off-topic. You can't define the character of a key using power chords. The triads in the key of A maj are totally different to the triads in the key of Am. As Greg says, if you don't have the third in the chord, you might as well be playing a bassline. You can play a major or minor scale using power chords but the character of the chord progressions that are in a major or minor key require AT LEAST the third note of the triad.

These dudes are right.

Take an A power chord of A and E. That can be A major or A minor. it can also imply an inverted chord, like E sus 4. It could also be part of an Fmaj7 (f-a-c-e), F#m7 (F#-A-C#-E), C6 inverted (C-E-G-A), etc etc etc..many other chords. Without that 3rd you can't say, but you can usually guess based on the surrounding chords, bass line, or vocal melody. Usually one of those will play a 3rd. A and E power "chord" is a dyad not a chord, really. I guess debatable, but I don't have the energy.

All that said, if someone is playing A (I) - D (IV) - E (V) there's a good chance they're in A major, but technically you can't be sure based on just that.

But you can be sure if it's a minor key or major key. If a power chord is played then the next power chords root is the minor 3rd of the first chord then your going to be in a minor key. It's if a major 3rd then your in a major key.

But you can be sure if it's a minor key or major key. If a power chord is played then the next power chords root is the minor 3rd of the first chord then your going to be in a minor key. It's if a major 3rd then your in a major key.

I mean 99% of the time that is probably true, but a C# could just be a borrowed chord or a passing tone/accidental.

Something like Am, C#7, F# for a modulation wouldn't be unheard of and would imply you modulated from Am into F# major. But if you just play A5, C#5, F#5 you'd assume A major. That's why you need more information than the power chord provides to be sure.

So, you're saying you can't play an A(major) chord, followed by a C chord?

It depends where the C resolves.

What does A5-C5-C#5-D5 suggest?

Last edited:
I would play minor. Of course without hearing it's impossible to know. But the c# would likly be heard as a passing tone from c to d

Back