Punk rock fans comme in number

arsenaultk9

Ok so I will be recording a demo soon and had to pick a composition to test before dooing the real job, so I picked our first composition So here what I'm asking : Except for the drums (beat box) is this demo like quality.

P.S. You can also add any comments you wish on composition this is our first so no hard feeling if you hate it !

Here the link : Link

I'm liking this. Sounds well done. Not overproduced like some of the modern "punk" seems to be. Good raw sounds, but not cheapass. Drums actually fit this tune pretty well. I like the guitar tone you chose. Nice tune.
Ed

dogman...How'd you get to listen to this? Every time I click the link, I go to a Geocities page that says "This link is not available"...Weird.

It worked for me, then when I went back, it said the user allocation was exceeded....I must have hit it right the first time.

So can someone tell me if this is demo quality or should I just try harder, or should I simply go to a real studio and they will be better to help me ?

The intro riff is good! Maybe goes on too many times. Then it slows down, that's cool. I like in punk when the tempo is varied. The screaming vocalist is a bit loud. It's neat though with the two vocalists. One guy sounds kind of haunting. Vocalist is definitely too loud on "screw you" but it's just a demo. Overall i'd say it's better than most punk you hear now. When the riff goes fast on the "screw you" part, that can be really explosive and really rock if you crank up the guitars and rock out there. It has potentital.

arsenaultk9 said:
So can someone tell me if this is demo quality or should I just try harder, or should I simply go to a real studio and they will be better to help me ?
To me it sounds very good. Someone can always find things in a tune they don't care for and might change, but this tune could fly as is. Always spots to refine, but what do you want from it? If you want a harder edged, punky sort of tune, you got it. If you want some really smooth around the edges poppy tune, then it needs some refinement. I don't think the latter is what you are after. I personally like it the way it is, but the end result is what will make you happy. And at 16, you are way ahead of most people quite a bit older than you. (me included).
Ed

it would be really interesting to see where this goes with a live drummer (or even just some work on the arrangement/drum sounds), i think this is promising.... nice fuzzy guitars, kewl riff, good rough vocals....

i'll second dogman, you're 16?, you can be confident, kiddo :D but i appreciate your humility!

don't waste time on "professionals" or a "real studio", you're on the right track already.

sorry I'm someone very unclear, my question wasn't claerly about this song, but more about if I recorde something else a bit better thant this quality will it be demo like quality and thanks for the comments, althought I have no intentions of modifiying sound except for ading real drums that should be done soon, If you like I might repost it here.

this is a very good quality demo, i've heard some legit albums that sounded worse than this ("grow up" by the queers comes to mind, but it's still a great album). this reminded me of something nirvana would have done.

Punk is so much fun. It's a hard style to play well, you really have to "mean it". Obviously you do. The fatness and extreme crunch in the guitars almost puch this into industrial-land though. You did an exceptional job with all the tempo changes. I don;tn think you need a "real" studio, man, save your money and spend it on recording gear; maybe a good drum machine with rawer samples, or use the $$ to hire a drummer to cut your trax for you, (lots of guys collab over the internet, I hired a guitarist for my last 2 tunes, and we did ti all on the web) but I think if you take this into the studio, it's gonna be too expensive to do, and if it's any cleaner than this, it'll lose authenticity.

I'm not a punk fan really at all, but I can certainly appreciate any art form done well. You've got what it takes, just keep running with it!

Thanks for the comments ! I will be doing so for the next songs I record for my demo. Oh and yes at the time I composed this song I was quite the NIrvana fan. I still am, but it doesn't appear as much in my compositions anymore.

Yeah, I was going to say that. It sorta sounds like Brody from the Distillers had a love child with Kurt Cobain.... Personally the tempo changes (not sure if they are really tempo changes, more of time signaure changes?) sound a little bit awkward to me. No offence or anything. The sound isn't bad at all by demo standards. If anyones ever heard the orignal recordings of a band called Against Me! compared to where they are at now, its amazing.

Back