Punk/Indie song... first mix. short song! Critiques?

keevhren

Just tracked a song for a friends band today and spent some time tonight getting a first mix going... its pretty short, just shy of 1:20 so if you can spare the time, I'd appreciate some listens and any feedback on the mix. It's unmastered. Thanks!

I'm pretty happy with the first pass... some things I'm currently questioning... is the kick drum snappy/prominent enough? The ooh's during the second verse, a bit too loud perhaps? Snare too loud? Does the vocal sound too high-endy?

Anything else?

Great job!

Just put something on the left channel as well as it gives a headache when it is unbalanced.

But impressive job otherwise! :)

Sounds okay. If you're only gonna run one guitar track, I'd suggest you bring it closer to conter and put the bass a little wider to the other side.

The kick is lost. Definitely not snappy enough. Everything else sounds good to me. Snare presence is good. Backups and vocals good. Get rid of that dumb talking at the end. Lol.

Cool song. It leans way to the right to my ears. Needs more guitar over there on the left. I am struggling to hear the kick a little. I know it is there but it is fighting with the bass.

Kudo's on the one guitar track. Rare these days, but i can appreciate that.

I'd also move it to the left and give more punch to the kick. Listening on the bright-ish (but transparent?) MDR7506 I'd also make it a bit fatter/warmer with eq or saturators but this is probably because I'm not very much into punk mixes *shrug*
Overall cool!;)

thanks for all of the advice thus far, going to hopefully have a few hours to spare tomorrow to do another pass!

Got around to doing another pass today... did a few changes that I think make it sound better overall... brought the kick up a tad and added some 4.5k to make it a bit snappier, i think it comes through the mix better now for sure. I brought up the right guitar (it was quite buried) and think it has a much better balance L to R now with guitars and the overall mix. eq'd the bass a bit to make it and the kick not fight for space as much. Finally, brought up the gang vocals at the end a tad. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Back