Proud of these new tunes

Chibi Nappa

No, I didn't write or perform these (Omnisoul gets the credit for that), but I did record/mix/semi-produce them in my basement studio. Anyway recording is wrapping up so rough mixes are starting to materialize. I thought some of you might like to hear them. I love the songs myself.

The songs are The Greater You and My Own. Waiting is up there as well, but that recording is pretty ancient with a cheesy fake bass drum.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2823&alid=-1

Vocals are subject to change, lead guitar lines need further editing, the mix is rough, and you might have to turn your volume up since its unmastered and a little quiet, but this is pretty much it.

Well, Nowhereradio looked like it went down for a good part of the day, but now it's working again.

Anyway, repeated listenings in my car have showed me that the guitars are probably too low. It is a rough mix, but I'm still interested in what any of you think should change. Any comments?

hey!

I listened to My Own. It's a very nice song. Just the two things that jumped out at me: the snare sounds pretty inconsistent at times. I think you should compress it more. It seems to stick out too much and some hits sound very different from others (probably the drummers fault). The distorted guitar for some reason has a little bit of that low-budget kind of sound to it, but I can't quite put my finger on why, so I guess I'm not of much help. For vacals l'd use more compression too. The bass sounds really nice. I like the arrangement. The performances are pretty solid: nothing that sticks out as out of tune or off beat. It could improve with some editing (if you're into that).

Oh, edit I will! :)

We've been making a mental list of flubs here and there. These tracks will most likely see the full wrath of the copy/paste feature.

As far as the drum hits, I think I might be forced to edit instead of compress. Those light ones are really light, and would probably work better with a strong hit pasted over them.

my own: i'm likin it... i like the guitar mix so i'm not sure what you think needs to be changed there.
In the grater you, you left some feedback in the guitar that sounded like a harmonic, i really like that... definatly adds some subtle character. I like the mix on the guitars in this song as well. the track in the right channel is a bit low it seems though.
Waiting is probably my favorite song, i like the snare in this song, the gutiar in the right channel sounds a bit muffled at parts though. I really like the mix between the main and tracking vocals in this one.

bass solid in all songs. in general i found that the electric guitar int he left channel was panned a bit to far to that side... maybe see what it sounds like more in the middle. Keep in mind that i have headphones on right now so take my criticism for whatever is it worth.

good stuff man.

Chibi,

I would agree that replacing the inconsistent snares is the best option, but I would suggest that after you replace some hits and level them you try some light compression to see it you like it even better (just imagining it in my head). If you give that song your full editing wrath it'll be a damn solid sounding tune. If I get a chance I'll listen to the other ones too, and let me know if you rework that one a bit and want more comments.

Love the sound of the snare, but I agree that it still needs something. Guitars sound good, maybe the solo could be redone. Thinking maybe some of the guitars could be panned out a bit to give the vocals some more room ?

LOVE the vocal ending. Very nice !

vestast said:
Love the sound of the snare, but I agree that it still needs something. Guitars sound good, maybe the solo could be redone. Thinking maybe some of the guitars could be panned out a bit to give the vocals some more room ?

LOVE the vocal ending. Very nice !
We actually did 17 virtual track takes of that solo. This mix has take 17. I like the end of this take....but not the beginning so much. I'm going to listen back through the other 16 and comp together a final solo.

Our singer loves doing that vocal ending stuff. He always pulls it out of his behind right at tracking time. :) I'm sure he'd love to hear that someone liked it.

Back