"Progression" - New song by Bubba

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
This song began life a few months ago when I bought my Roland Jazz Chorus JC-120 amp. I tried to write an interesting chord progression that showed off the distinctive characteristics of the amp. Writing the piece was one thing - learning to play it well was another thing entirely!

I sat on it for a while then eventually started working on it again; this time I got as far as a bassline and crunch chord parts. I stalled again and was rescued by my son who played the drum parts on a visit home from Uni. Reinvigorated, I finished all the music for the song then was stumped for what it was going to be about.

In the end I decided to use it to tackle the single biggest event that's affected me in recent years and that is the growing up and moving away of my son. I doted on that little fella and was continually astounded by his talent for the drums and other instruments. Now he's grown up, he's still my son, but different. Still amazing but both him and not-him at the same time. It's left my feelings all churned up and this is an attempt to make sense of it.

Frank is on drums and I'm on everything else.

Progression

With willingness I saw you meet the world
Incredulous I watched
As you turned from grey to pink

So vulnerable, so tiny in my hands
So terrified we were not fit to cope with your demands

Somehow we made it through
We did our best for you
But now I face this emptiness
And pain I never knew

With willingness the music came to you
From three years old I watched
As your skill and passion grew

I can’t express the rapture that I found
To play the songs we played and how we shared that common ground

We did our best for you
And now I face this emptiness
And pain I never knew

With nervousness you went into the world
It felt just like abandonment to leave you in that room

But you flourished and you’ve made yourself anew
I knew it had to happen, and you know I’m proud of you

We did our best, it’s true
But I still face this emptiness
This void the shape of you.
And pain I never knew.

Hey Bubba, thanks for sharing this, and the back story to the song - really nice that you got your son on the kit, sounds great!

The opening few words instantly reminded me of the "The Killing Moon"!

Really like the sound and flow of the bass, really drives the song. I like how high it is in the choruses - works for me.

Guitars sound really lush and sit in the mix really nicely. I know nothing about amps or gear in general really, so will just say that it sounds on point to me!

I think the kick could come up a little in the mix, and the snare is a tad flat for my liking. Toms and cymbals sound great to me.

Great stuff overall though!

Yeah the bass sounds good, tone and bass lines. Guitar arrangements sound great. Lots of movement and counter-melodies. I like that kind of thing; not just straight up strumming or arpeggios.

I thought the drum kit sounded out of balance. Kick and snare were present, cymbals and toms were buried. Caveat: pretty sure my hearing is going with upper freqs so maybe(?) the cymbals are okay. But I definitely felt the toms could come up a little more.

Cool you write a song for your kid. Mine went off to college this year as well. He's having a blast!!!

Thanks fellas. All your points are duly noted and I've tweaked accordingly although I haven't updated the link yet.

My Mrs. finally listened to the singing version tonight. It took some bravery cos she was filling up just reading the lyrics last week. She called me a bastard while blowing her nose and wiping her eyes afterwards.

We're seeing the boy on Sunday - it's going to be great.

Back