Progeny

mcmac74

Evening. I've not posted for a while due to a hand injury but finally got round to doing vocals and a mix on this song. It was written after watching a live Frankenstein show on NT live during lockdown...it's about love, obsession, murder...all the good stuff.

Shes the better part of me
But it still gets the best of me
I'm burning bright of late
In my quick biology
Undone, undid psychology
Animate, recreate, I tried again,
Again, again, again, again

I believe stars we see
Are the Same
There goes that ghost again
Wanderin' under stars
Pulling at your heart
Drifting on the wind
I tried to love again

I hunted you, you hunted me
Across the ice, across the sea
Burnt the bridges
A paradise lost to me
You abandoned her, abandoned me
Assimilate to create
Then destroy again,

I believe stars we see
Are the Same
Wanderin' under stars
Pulling at your heart
Far away from home
I tried to be alone, again again again

I believe the stars we see
Are the Same
Falling silent, falling silent

Progeny by Mountain Telegraphs | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I am not a fan of the reverb/delay used on the main vocal. There is a harmony vocal in the chorus (?) that is lost in all the built-up reverb.
The snare is too in front (and I'd reduce the reverb on it), it dominates the instruments, which generally have too much reverb as well - it works on the ending, where just the guitar is playing, but the continued synth part is way too low, listening at a low volume it wouldn't be heard at all. Possibly a shorter tail on the reverb would reduce the build-up.

I like the mood and groove, though i agree the snare sounds too up front. I also agree just a bit too much verb on the vocals, i would try automating it out a bit in the chorus when the other voice comes in? I think some more layering of voices could go a long way, harmonizing some of the backgrounds could really add to the lushness you already have. Great catchy chorus, i like the chord change there and the vocal layering. Bass guitar seems a little woofy, it might help define the intersting chord changes and keep things grounded, guitar tone seems to crowd with the vocal part a good bit..On my 3rd listen im hearing some cool wierd voices in the chorus-turn em up! Really nice song, that chorus is great.

Thanks for the feedback...i agree its reverb heavy but I was aiming for an atmospheric feel due to the song content. I'll pull it back a bit and see how it fits.

Woofy bass Strat...yeah I agree. I really struggle to record / mix a good bass tone. Glad the chorus was appreciated...it was one of those moments when the phrasing of the lyric and melody hit sweet together ?

I am gonna go back and lift some of the keyboard sounds and tone down the verb a bit

Cheers

Sounds very good to me. Vocals are clearer and the mix between different vocal parts sounds very tight. Drums are kind of meh, i would have verbed the snare at least, some tom rolls would help humanize things. But those are nitpicks really because i like the song and the cohesion between the performance and mix. Nice chorus!

Last edited:
Sounds very good to me. Vocals are clearer and the mix between different vocal parts sounds very tight. Drums are kind of meh, i would have verbed the snare at least, some tom rolls would help humanize things. But those are nitpicks really because i like the song and the cohesion between the performance and mix. Nice chorus!

Thanks for the listen and feedback stratomaster ?

Back