problematic mix

Shailat

A Budget project. I mixed each song about 2-3 hours including loading and downloading. I did 5 songs today this one being last.
They all went well but this one....I got tired and I'm not getting it right. I decided to leave it open on PT and have a go at it in two more days.

Some of the problems I'm having is the bass which was played off a keyboard. Sounds to honky to me now and a bit unbalanced towards the loud side. Cant do to much to change it....
I cant get the conga to sit well. I would have droped it as I find it useless for this mix but the client insisted.)
The Rim shot I made a bit overbearing so I can get some more energy out it as it carries a lot of the song in some parts but now a few hours after it also sounds overbearing.
Acoustics cut the mix well but it might be a little to cutting now.....

I need a few hours of sleep :)

All the mixing has been done in reference to the vocals but I didnt post the mix with the vocals as I want it to be heard with out them. I also cut the intro to make it smaller.

Anybody who has any suggestion is welcome be it what ever...just nothing about the style of the song.

Thanks

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2354&alid=-1,

I think the bass is too loud. And the rim shot...bring it up where needed and back down. Can't you do that? I like the congas..when they first came in. I thought they added to the song dynamics, but they continue on... so...maybe drop 'em back more to "sit better". However, even though you purposely posted a no vocal mix, it basically puts the rest of us in the dark (imo) as far as what the music needs to do. I don't believe in getting a music bed "finished" and then adding vocals on it and expect it to mesh together. Reverby hand claps?? eh? All in all, pretty decent sounding, but I think you'll just get gushing and such from other peons[rude posting meatheads!] like me with this thread.

hey...maxxbass and turn it down!! ha!

hey...on the drum break, in the middle... sounds almost like flutter echos for reverb on the side stick. Wadda make of that? Weird digital verb setting?

mixmkr said:
I think the bass is too loud. And the rim shot...bring it up where needed and back down. Can't you do that?

Yes I can reduce the level and bring it up again. Yet the rim carries a lot of the groove in parts it plays... but I'll have to rethink it.

However, even though you purposely posted a no vocal mix, it basically puts the rest of us in the dark (imo) as far as what the music needs to do. I don't believe in getting a music bed "finished" and then adding vocals on it and expect it to mesh together. Reverby hand claps?? eh?

I mixed it with the vocals side by side so all decisions were acourding to the voxs as well. The handclaps are with a Gospel sort choir so the reverb fits in with them quite well.

hey...on the drum break, in the middle... sounds almost like flutter echos for reverb on the side stick. Wadda make of that? Weird digital verb setting?

U mean around 2:30ish ?

Shailat said:

U mean around 2:30ish ? [/B]

yeah...going from memory, I think just the HH hit quarter notes first, then the rim shots... then the pno took off in its direction

I think the bass is too hot, but the tone doesn't bother me at all.

As far as the rest, it sounds like it's just missing some highs. Not EQ highs, but an element or two, like a shaker or something, but it may sound a ton better with the vocal in there, I don't know. The lack of highs seems a lot better when the snare comes in...that was a horrible sentence...what I mean is, the mix sounds more balanced when the snare starts.

I totally agree with Chris on this one. I'm wanting to hear a little more highs out of the drums . . . just a tad more cymbal/ride. Even when the tamborine comes in at the very end, I want it to be little more crisp.

That's about all I can think of.

The piano sounds very mid-heavy and compressed-sounding - it isn't sitting right to me... the bass I don't mind... I would have made the drums punchier and more up-front they sound a bit buried... claps towards the end are too up-front.... there is a high-freq element missing somewhere, or it could simply be the mid-heavy piano that is skewing the mix's frequency balance (especially in the beginning of the song)........

YMMV.......! ;)

A lot of things seem to be hung in the same hole.The bass and piano seem to be in the same space....Cant distinguish really what the piano is doing.I can hear it but it's not shining through like it should(or could be).Maybe a little more panning of the piano would open it up.The drums sound a little buried.

I agree with everyone else about it lacking highs.

Sounds to me that if the bass had some low or low mids rolled off just a tad it would open up a hole for the piano,guits and drums......I know the bass is really driving this tune so Im guessin you wanna keep it it as close to where it is as possible.....i dont know....just some random thoughts from my novice ears.

BTW/Very good tune.

Chris - I went with the chicken...do you know what ts like to have clients walking around wispering "he smells like fish" ?

I should have posted the vocals as well. The high freq content is (to a degree) in the vocals. It's a all girls choir ages 14-20.
When I was young I used to have a fantasy were I was recording 25 high school girls all in the same room with me, asking me for help....please can you fix my headphones?....yet all I can see is 25 annoying kids running around.....all looking like my daughter.... :rolleyes: what has time and age done to me ?!?!:eek:
But I'm going to look into opening the OH's and AMB's a bit to see if it suplements the highs.

Piano is compressed a bit heavy. I like it that way. With the vocals it still pounds and cuts through.

The claps are part of a Gospel type "happening" So I dont mind the level although it might need to be tuned down a bit. Without the vocals it defenitly sounds a bit to much up front.

Appreciate the remarks.

Ah! If that was a mix with room left for vocals, that WOULD make a difference!

My comments were based on it being a mix on its own merits.......!

Back