Presentation for my Audio Class Friday..Need Feedback!

Song is good. I like the vocals. The structure is good and the overall musical sensibility is good.

But:

The piano gets extremely irritating after a while. It is very-midi-ish, and very overwhelming.

The vocals could stand to be given more prominence.

There's a hi-hat thing going on in my left ear during parts of the song. I think it's too far to the left, and the percussion needs to be brought together.

At times, the bass gets very loud (1:53). Possibly this is an artefact of compression.

Towards the end of the song, there is a melodic brassy thing out of the right side. I wouldn't mind hearing what that's doing a bit more.

Were I to do a remix, I would focus on the percussion, bass and vocals . . . get them to sit together as an integrated section, then bring up the other pits to add interest to the gaps.

any ideas on getting rid of that midi-ish sound for the piano because it bother me as well? Im using logic pro 9 and have all the plugins...any recommendations on plugins or maybe its a velocity issue(not enough variation of some sort)...I could really use some advice on fixing that damn piano.

At the moment the piano draws to much attention to itself. That may have been an original intention, bit it's probably not necessary.

So:

1 Get into a midi editor and lower the velocity of all the piano notes. That might (depending on what's giving you the piano sound) result in a mellower sound. You can use the 'humanise' functions to vary the velocities between notes. You can also use an envelope to shape the dynamic of the whole track . . . make it swell a bit here and there.

2 Drop the level of the piano in the mix and let the rhythm provide the excitement.

3 Add (more) reverb to the piano. Try a big room size, but with not too much reverb . . . enough to hint at space around the edge.

You could also duplicate the piano midi onto a new track and add another vsti . . . try something weird or atmospheric and see what happens if you forgo realism.

Back