preliminary mix.....comments appreciated...

joro

The Pie Guy
Hi fellas...
This is a preliminary mix of the music for a new tune...

My only disclaimer is that I am in big trouble with this tune....
seems that I have over committed on collaboration for the vox....
I am a piece of dung...a worthless, slimy, inconsiderate, piece of shit....what an asshole I am...
lately...my luck, along with my judgement has been all bad...

that said...
please be gentle :D

all kidding aside...good ears and mix comments would be appreciated...rip me a new one...thanks...

P.S......real drums are also to come...hopefully with a vox track...
I guess I need comments on the guitar sound more than anything else....thanks...

From Now to Forever...at Soundclick...

at Nowhere Radio......

Last edited:
did you use a compressor on the strumming acoustic? it almost sounds like it's overcompressed to the slightest bit of distortion.......just a bit.........it's hard to say if it's compression or something else, but I can definitely say I've heard similar sounds from myself after using too much compression......

I'd like to hear it w/ the real drums and vox

sounds pretty good.. at first I thought the acoustic was a little boomy, but I forgot about it as it progressed.. some of the lead melodys might clash with the vocal.. some sound a hair out.. real drums and vocals will make all the difference.. good toe tapping feel though, ya know? :D

Very good lyrics Joro.

The guitars sound a bit cripsy for this IMO. This should be as warm as possible without losing the details of the high end. I've read the lyrics and they only add to the need for warmth IMO. EQ might help, but if it doesn't I'd suggest retracking the guitars. Maybe just the rhythm strummed guitar. The leads should probably be kept at least a little brighter to sit on top.

Very nice music man. Very nice. I think it just needs to be recorded and mixed a little more gently.

Nice and beautiful.

Hey, I don't need drums on this.

O wait...I listened to Chasin' Sunsets. Duh :)

Rhythm guitars could be warmer. Easy on the highs there. Bass needs more definition. And I don't mind the fake drums....

Hey, good to see something new up from you! Hope things are going well with you.

Well, I am going to be really cheap here and say I pretty much agree with all that has been said.

My key points:

1) No definition on the low end
2) Crispy highs on the guitars
3) I worry about where you are going to fit a vocal melody with multiple guitar melodies. You may have pull some of those guitars in and out. Just a thought.

4) Very cool start! I like the feel for sure.

Looking forward to the completed product.

I'm inclined to agree with Powder. I'd experiment with that a bit first. It sounds a little boxy to me. But it sounds like you'll have something worth working on here. It's a nice piece, and left me in a good mood.

Twist

Thanks Fellas :D

Powder I did compress the rhythmn guit so I will back off on that...thanks man.

Sam I will definitely re-do the lead....not so much for sure..
It sounded to boring without both in there so, I will work it around the vocal once that is done...thanks man...

Tom Yes I will re-track in a lower warmer register and perhaps re-do the rhythmn softer...I see what you mean man...
Thanks man :D

Ped That's my pal Willie McCulloch doing everything on Chasing Sunsets...I am merely the lyricist on that tune...it is one of my favorites thogh...glad you liked it man..

Skids Hey man :D
I am cool....how's the family doin'? Hope all is well....
A lot of the guys here can pump out a song a day....takes me weeks to develop them...ya know?
I am gonna re-do the bass for sure and go for warmer tones on the lead as stated above...also gonna re-do the lead around the vox...Thanks for checkin' in man...my best to the familia :D

Twist Cool man! I was going for upbeat...glad to hear that you felt that way....thanks man...

Thanks again fellas,
Joe

P.S.
Thanks for the star whoever you are lol! :D

Last edited:
I would have to agree with the group. There is too much 200hz in the guitars.

You might be able to fix this by re-tracking them and pulling the mic a little farther away or, trying a different microphone. It sounded like proximity effect to my ears.

The tune itself was very pleasent and I liked the arrangement you have on it so far.

Good stuff! :)

awww man.. I like this. Smooth, well aranged, nice trottin groove, clean, and no overplaying anywhere. The drums sound good and dont have to do anything but their job in this and doing it well.These guys already talked about eq. All the picking is tight too. I still need to bring one on for you and haven`t forgot, just not worked out yet. Good song, if I were a singer I`d singin my butt off on this, it`s wide open for some good vocals.

This is a nice piece of music and I love to songwrite also as most of us do and it's such a treat to have some nice lyrics, nice music ... and no melody ...

I've been singing it and listening and what I notice is that there are many melodic hints happening in the guitars, as if you Joro, are hearing where the melody for the lyric might go, and that is great, it gives any potential singer a big headstart on collaboration as they can then create a melodic line for the verse and chorus that works well with the musical hooks in the guitar.

And I hear the hook for the title of the song, and I mean the melodic hook in the guitar.

My suggestion is for you to make a 'singer's mix' , take out as many of the fills and musical suggestions, melodic suggestion and ideas as possible and only make a mix of the strumming guitar and the melodic hooks where they might occur to indicate the structure to the singer.

A chart might be good also, breaking the song into verses and choruses concretely for the singer to begin work.

I have some really neat melodic lines working for it, but would need a much less active mix to work with, IMHO.

As the mix is now, with some busyness in the guitars, the singer would be hard-pressed to duck and weave around everything that is happening.

IMHO you should consider this mix a fairly finished structurally, but also consider the fills and melodic movement of the guitar as a brainstorm of sorts and as a strong indicatin to the singer as to where the melody of the lyric might should go.

Also, the melody, the musical material for the hook 'From Now to Forever' is strongly portrayed.

IMHO

This can turn into a very nice song.

Thanks fellas :D

Kenny Thanks man, glad you dug the groove...Still workin' on the bass line for this...it could be a whole lot more intricate...
Real drums are gonna kick ass though...add some dynamics to it...ya know?
Gezeeeeze man...I had forgotten about that tune....no sweat man :D....no hurry lol!

studioviols EXACTLY!!!!

The leads represent my idea of the vox and the vox harmony...
I re-mixed a more singer friendly mix and loaded it up....I am still gonna re-track everything probably with a warmer sound...
I tracked this on my 3 day old Martin...I think I need to put on a warmer set of strings...gonna pull out my trusty Taylor though when I re-track I think..
Thanks for your comments man...you are spot on...

Thanks again fellas,
Joe

sounds good so far.......

my only complaint is the bass.....i think the bass is too boomy.....im listening on a regular stereo with the bass boost on (where i keep it) and that usually gives it away for me....also, as far as the bass line itself, it just kind of falls out in places that give the mix an uneasy feeling.......hard to put that in words......

MIKE

I'd like to second the boomy bass comment.

Overall a very nice ditty. You've already heard about the rhythm guitars, so I won't rehash that.

Very listenable. Makes me bob my head back and forth against my will. That's a good sign. Looking forward to hearing the final.

Odd bass part near the end that threw me off for a minute. It's at, like 3 minutes or something. I seemed to hear a couple of missed bass notes or slightly out of time notes near the end too. But I guess you're not looking for those kinds of observations, huh? :-)

Nice song. Well mixed, volume-wise. Just a little eq or re-tracking and you're on the Billboard charts.

Thanks for posting.
Piltdown Man

Hmm... not a boomy bass... it's the kick drum... it has a good level, yet there's a 50-60Hz hump in there... fairly substantial... sounds like it's clipping.

The bass sounds O.K... it may be a good idea to roll off sub-bass lows on the bass below 70Hz... that stuff's just "thump" anyway... kick drum stuff... well below the "body" of the bass tone.

Very sweet rhythmic bed. The lead acoustic could stand a bump in level -- if it's to remain an instrumental. If you're sticking in a vocal, you'll probably need to create some room in the mids (500Hz-1000) but not much... a small, shallow notch in the bass/gtrs should do it.

Nice song and a cool performance! :)

C

Listened to this last night Joe, think I might of got a bad mp3..kept hearing pops and stuff all thru it. With that said, I really liked the flow of it, guitars sounded a tad busy maybe but I likes it. Add the vox!:)

Gidge-Mo Hey man, How goes the re-hab on you hand?
Hope you are better....thanks for checking this out man...I did boost the bass a lot because of the previous comments...I have backed off and a new mix is up....warmer lead ...boosted the lows on it just a tad...thanks again man....

PiltdownMan I am indeed going to re-track everything on this and yes...what you heard was me flubbing the bass line at the end...I suck at bass...but I am practicing ....thanks for checking it out man...

Chad! I lowered the bass and the drums (loop) and it sounds tons better...thanks man...I am itching to get the vox and real drum tracks for this....damn...I love this music stuff ! :D
Thanks for checking it out man...you got some good ears...

freshears Thanks for checking this out man...I appreciate it much....maybe the MP3 got corrupt in transfer....I dunno...new mix is up though man if you want to check it out....

Thanks again fellas,
Joe :D

Back