Praises

excuse my ignorance ... sorry Waldo. But I don't see all these options on the drop down menu when I upload .. how do you pick all these sub categories.. or is it done automatically ?

Well, I planned on adding the feature in NWR3, but things just got too complicated to muck with, and now that there is so much traffic... Alot of the changes are going to happen at the same time to minimize downtime...

W.

I like the the guitar's groove. I think it's what "makes" this song. How did you record it? What type of guitar? What type of mic? Ooops, I see you already posted that ....... as Emily Latilla would say .... "never mind".

As already mentioned ...nice vocals. I think some counter melody vocals during the 2nd chorus and final chorus would be very powerful.

I thought the bass sounds a little boxy. Did you mic an amp or record direct? Or did you answer that already too?

Finally, I was also thrown by the "obedient" lyric. I've always been put off by the word "obedient". It has such a canine feel to it. Perhaps if I were a stronger Christian it wouldn't be the case. Anyway, it seems there are many ways to say the same thing. Off the top of my head ... maybe something like ..... "By doing what you want us to" .... or ..... "By doing what you ask us to". Just a softer way of communicating obedience. Devout Christians already understand the intent, but it softens it for a more general audience. You know what I mean? All IMHO.

Overall, a nice job. A very good demo. I'd like to see it developed (get some counter melodies in there).

BPOCO

Pretty decent recording man.

Some of the vocals parts (BGVs) were a little loose. Not sure how else to describe that... but that mighta been the feeling you were going for.

It's really askin' for drums. I would put some to it if I had a way of recording them. :p

And I agree about the "sing-ability" issue... I don't mind the "being obedient" thing (it's actually kind of rhythmic)... I wouldn't necessarily change it just to make the song more palatable, since the whole point of the song is that we shouldn't compromise our obedience just to "fit in" with the rest of the world. But I think I have the same problem as you,... I try to cram so many words and "points" into my "Christian" stuff... But when it all comes down, I realize that the most impactive P&W songs I've ever heard were the ones with just a few succinct phrases. I've been trying for a long time to write one of those… I’ll let you know when it happens. :p

Nice clean recording, though.

WATYF

bpoco : thanks for taking the time to comment and listen ... seems like the jury's out about the word "obediant" but I take your point. John Ch15 v14 actually says "You are my friends if you do whatever I command you." (New King James version) so your probably closer to the mark than I was... maybe I *should* re-work the words a little. I'll think about the counter melodies too.

WATYF: Thanks for the encouragement. Your welcome to record some drums for this if you want to (doesn't your rich brother have enough mics yet ? ;) ) otherwise I'll have to use my "evil" electric kit ! ;) :D either way drums are definately coming. Probably early next week when I get time.

now has anyone heard from chrisharris lately .. he seems to have vanished ?

bpoco said:

I thought the bass sounds a little boxy. Did you mic an amp or record direct? Or did you answer that already too?

Bass is DI'ed into a Joemeek "British Channel" ... It might be overcompressed though.

Page 2????

Hey dres: I haven't read the other repliesthis is really good. I'm a sucker for your tunes...VOCAL ORIENTED, and your vocals are always good.

I like the way the tambo comes in...I can never get a tambourine to "fit," but that's probably because I play it like a mental patient on crack...AS he's going thru electro-shock therapy. :D :D

As far as criticisms, the only thing that sticks out to me is the looseness of the various vocal parts in relation to each other. It may have been an artistic choice.

Good stuff.

Sounds great Dres,I especially liked the bass,great tone.
Good writing bro,nice upbeat feel.
Definitly crying out for some drums,would really nail it.

The bass/solo vocals at 2:35 was a really nice touch.

Fine tune,thanks for sharing it,
Pete

Dres, I'm still playing your "Love Song", so I recognized your style in this one right away. It's got some of the same sounds. I like it.
I really wanted to hear a wood block on the 1 2 3 4. I don't know why, it's just what came into my head.

chrisharris: Page 2 !!!?? yea I'm kinda surprised too... so you ARE alive... I don't think you've checked your pm's for about 2 weeks (hint hint).. I thought you'd been deliberately avoiding me for some strange reason ;) Thanks for your comments. I'm gonna spend some time on this on the weekend re vocals and drums.

muzeman : thanks brother... It's not finished yet .. stay tuned.

twist: Still playing lovesong ??!! You've probably heard it more than my wife ! :D .. quite a complement though .. thanks. Woodblock ? OK I'll give it a try :)

dres said:
chrisharris: Page 2 !!!?? yea I'm kinda surprised too...
LOL...It wasn't a reference to the number of replies to this thread...it was a display of my shock and amazement that this fell off the front page before I got a chance to respond. Board seems to be moving pretty quickly these days. Sorry about the PM's...going now.

Back