Powerpop / Pop-punk / Death Metal

noodles2k5

Ok here's something I've been working on the past few weeks. No background vocals yet, but I'd like some suggestions as far as the mix goes. This is the first thing I've done on my Powerbook.

And if your ears will forgive you, you can listen to this recording done a whole year ago and compare. Again, listen at your own risk.

Last edited:
The drums, vocals, and bass definitely need to be brought up. All I can hear right now is guitar.

Get everything balanced a little better then we can comment on the mix. It's way out of whack right now.

Cool, man. Your voice sounds a lot like the guy from the band Fall Out Boy. Ever heard of them? Anyway, you should consider (assuming you're the vocalist) taking voice lessons. You've got an awesome, high-energy voice and *almost* perfect pitch. A little work and it'd really be something worth talking about.

Nice improvements on your technique! If there's a bass guitar in there, give it a little more presence and really let it harmonize with the rest of the song. The kind of music you're playing generally relies a great deal on the bass for a lot of its thickness.

Thanks for the critique. Haha... we get that Fall Out Boy comment a lot. I'm quite familiar with them. I wasn't very satisfied with the vocals either, so I'm glad someone agrees with me there. I'll see what I can do about the bass.

Hey,

I myself play pop-punk and punk and I like the song. I really like the break in the middle, kinda as if you were talking through a radio!. Only thing id say is, the guitar needs a little bit more bang. Cool song =)

- Idgeit

Last edited:
Pop has got to go. This is typical and uninteresting. You mentioned DeathMetal in your post...where is it? But, anyway. Your voice is cool. The rest sounds like it was recorded in a cardboard box. Sounds like you can scream pretty good, so try some hardcore and throw in the melodic powerpop parts. Althought this style is also being played to death it might work better for you and help you reach a broader audience. GreenDay, Blink182, and the 5,000 other bands that sound exactly alike need to be pushed out so that people who really can play and write can be heard. I hear those ridiculous new Motley Crue songs and they suck, but next to the pop/punk I hear right after them, the Crue seem like genius'. This was not a bad song, just lacking imagination and feeling. Nothing here makes me say "Wow!" or even, "it's not my style but it sure is different!". Please, I beg of you, as a budding musician, do not fall into this trap of writing a song with 4 chords and a tedious hook. Keep rocking!!!!

W.I.S.C.:
Our band is breaking up. These songs were written years ago. There's no intent of changing them. The recordings are just for sentimental value, not sales. A bunch of fans requested them and I had to deliver a decent recording.

Hardcore is played out nowadays. There's another thread on here where someone said they listened to enough hardcore/metal to last 20 years. Again, the songs were written a while ago... tastes often change. I'd like to cover multiple genres a la Reggie and the Full Effect, but right now I just don't have time.

We put Death Metal at the end of it because it pulls in more listeners. I bet you were thinking, "WTF, pop and death metal?" But we do have some hard rock riffs and breakdowns in some other songs. This is actually the least favorite song, but the best mixed... go figure. Anyway, I should have some other things for you guys to listen to later in the week.

Back