"PowderFlanger"

chrisharris

King of Bling
WE'VE HAD MONTHS TO PREPARE FOR THE CHALLENGE, AND IT'S FINALLY MARCH 5TH (so of course, I recorded this tonight, lol).

"Powderfinger" gave me permission to maul his tune, so I did.

It's a cool song, I just heard it in my feeble noggin a little differently than Drew did, soooooo...I used the flanger a LOT, lol. Actually, the original recording is so good, I didn't really wanna' copy it. Okay, that's a total lie...I really WANTED to copy it, but when I tried, it sounded...ummm...asslike.

...and for Mixmkr, the fade is :45 seconds long. I expect a card this Christmas.

www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles
"BETTER DAY" (Almost at the bottom of the page)

Here maybe?

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1698/singles

(The original is here: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154)

Last edited:
This challenge could get interesting.You did a good job of harris-izing this one Chris.:eek:.Sounds good.I remember the original version vaguely.You made this one sound like it was your own.Yeah I remember this one now.The original didnt have drums did it?I cant comment on the mix because it sounds OK to my untrained ears.LOL.You did a good job man.Im still looking for a country version of one of sams tunes.LOL.Is that even possible?:eek:

Enjoyed it man.;)

Kramer said:
The original didnt have drums did it?
PF's has a conga loop, which I think fits perfectly. I tried some 'world percussion' samples originally, but I decided to just go with that droning KICK, RIDE, SNAAAAAARE thing, ala "Johnny Cougar," (before he remembered his roots and started sucking). The snare is a direct sample from "Small Town"...HUUUGE, ridiculous reverb.

Originally posted by Kramer Im still looking for a country version of one of sams tunes.LOL.Is that even possible?
Oh, it's possible...lol. We've got 5 days of this...I wouldn't wanna' shoot the whole wad in one post. :D :D

Wait, I'm country?????? :confused:

Chris--I think you're first, man! I like this. Its a cool song and you definitely put your stamp on it, which is a good thing in my book. I really dug the drum sound. (Wait...you hate drums...and these sound cool...whassup with that?) I like the verb on 'em too!

Only crit, the BGV's around 1:28 kinda go astray. On the plus side, the rest of them are sounding great.

There is a thing you do where you sing a third and drop to a second tone (in the scale) that is almost a trademark thing. You did it a couple times in this and I dug that. Nice acoustics and the electric works with this too.

Thanks for being first...maybe there is hope for me...you better pray there is cause its your song!:D I think we are gonna have some fun in the next few days.

crawdad said:
Only crit, the BGV's around 1:28 kinda go astray.
Thanks...they're coming out now...lol

crawdad said:
Thanks for being first...maybe there is hope for me...you better pray there is cause its your song!:D
That's why I posted at like, one minute after midnight...lol. POST IT NOW!!!!!!

Dude, I wish this machine was up to par to listen, lol

Anyways, here's to letting you know I tried, I be drunk, but this card be fried... (Musta been me trying to DI that bass into it again... Ooops...)

W.

TheRealWaldo said:
Dude, I wish this machine was up to par to listen, lol

Anyways, here's to letting you know I tried, I be drunk, but this card be fried... (Musta been me trying to DI that bass into it again... Ooops...)

W.
There's a certain irony here that's not lost on me...lol. I mean, you OWN the freakin' site that lets most of us have access to do stuff like this...

...and you can't listen.

Haven't forgotten about the mic, btw. Gimme' a couple. :D

chrisharris said:

Wait, I'm country?????? :confused:

Nah man.LOL..You're a singer songwriter akin to the austin types,capable of writing and recording a variety of styles.I just said country because you said you were gonna "hillbilly them up real good",referring to sams songs.LOL.

Well, what I sacrifice for keeping the dream alive is really not so bad in my life.

Heck, if one day I can do nothing but listen to music, that's it...

When they burry me, my hope is that I experience eternal music (with class, not $$$ signs), that'll be my payback.

W.

this definately has the harris trademark sound going on. sounds realy nice chris.nice guitar work throughout this. and those drum samples sound nice as well. huge sounding snare with alot of good verb on it,it fits in nicely.i would like to try a cover but i dont know who to pick on lol. nice job and i cant realy comment to much on mix due to my lack of knowledge but it sounds good.
god bless.

i don't remember the original but this sounds good. you sure put that flanger to work! some of the oooo's were a little pitchy, but i'll let triplem go into more detail on that.

so this contest goes until the 10th? Not sure I'll make it, all my gear is unplugged right now cause i'm in the middle of some construction. Not sure I could cover anyone anyway, I can't even cover myself.

Nice job chris.

Gentlemen, I haven't been able to listen to much of the clinic for the last month or so due to technicle difficulties but I think I have that licked (all over). I'll be checking this out tonight when I get back to the ranch.:D

And since I've already bumped it, I'll add that I took out some of the background vox, b/c they were pretty "off," lol...thanks erichenryus and crawdad for that little tip; I heard it on monitors this a.m. and was kinda' embarrassed, lol.

I also left in more of the low lows...It's got a lot more low end than most of my crap,...I'd be interested to know if anybody thinks it's too much.

Great song, "Powderflanger"!

Chris the mix sounds very nice....I'd maybe back off the verb on the snare a bit. Vocals are sitting nicely (nice performance, by the way).

2nd listen....

Bass sounds really good. Snare still sounds a little big to me. I might feel differently tomorrow though, so...

Nice kick sound. Sounds like the acoustic guitars could be a little tighter with it though. It's more apparently where the kick is so present (which I like!). And it's not that loose, but I noticed it. (MAJOR NITPICKING there...took me two listens to hear it.)

There's really not much to complain about, and lots of things to praise about this. You seem to improve with everything mix. Harder to find things to bitch about. Except that it's countryish. ;)

Just kidding...nice job!

Great tune PF!

Thanks for listening, Tom. Believe me, I listen to you comments, and stuff usually changes b/c of them, so I appreciate it.

"POWDERFINGER" heard it and sent me the following PM:

Originally PM'd by Powderfinger
chris,
sounds horrible......i like it like a lot of hot pokers shoved up my nose.........it's a privilage to tell you that I've never been so displeased with a song in my life...I won't post this publicly, because I want to spare your feelings, but it's rancid....
anyhow, i'm going to give it the usual song reply after work tonight to the main thread so that it won't seem weird....all i'll say now is that it sounds worse than fingernails on a chalkboard...why I God's name did you do this to my song?"

thanks,
drew

Personally, I think that's a pretty decent review, eh? :D :D
(WARNING: Some of the contents of the preceding PM may have been altered to reflect the quoter's personal bias against his own recordings of others' songs

Back