Is it possible?

rushfan33

I've been trying hard to remaster this tune to bring out more definition. I'm having a hard time tightening up the mix so my bass drums come out with more punch since they're pretty much driving the song. I don't have access to the original 2" tapes so that's not an option. Any gurus want to take a stab at it?
Thanks,
RF

Major Havoc

I can see why your having a hard time. The kicks are pretty buried in there. It's much easier to push a too-hot kick back than to pull a buried one out.

If you can manage to find the resonant freq. of the kicks you might be able to goose it a bit with some multiband compression. It'll be tough to bring it out much without screwing with the bass though.

What format is the original?

rushfan-

i have no idea about doing what your asking but i checked out the song. I believe i heard a song from this same band you posted before, as always killer musicianship. Would love to have this stuff without the vocals lol.
Anyways to my question, how many strings does the bass player play with? It sounds like hes freaking doing sweeps on that thing in places. Have you ever heard andromeda? This sounds like some of their stuff, im sure they share some of your same influences. Just curious.

M brane- I see what you're saying. I'll have to keep tweaking this damn thing. Maybe when I have all my gear set up again I can do a better job. The original format was 2".

Wireneck- Thanks! The bass player is phenominal and he only had a beat up 4 string bass. I've not hear of Andromeda before. Our Influences were the older shredder bands mostly like Racer X meets Rush. Yeah the vocals were most definitely problematic....especially live. It was only a four peice band and the guitar player sang. The keyboard player is tremendously talented as well. She had a great sense of time signatures and she was a perfectionist!

RF

Re: rushfan-

Wireneck said:
as always killer musicianship.

Damn right! Fuckin' hell, it's tight. Reminds me of Stratovarius (or how's that band called with both Johanssen brothers?)

I even like the vocalist.

Shame about the tape dropouts in the beginning. I have no idea how to help. The dropouts aside, it sounds pretty good to my 'pop' ears.

I meant what format is the "original" that you have? Sorry for not being more clear.

I'll bet it's a cassette, right?;)

rushfan-

wow a 4 string bass, thats pretty incredible. Did he play fingerstyle or with a pick? This guy is starting to remind me of Lars from Spiral Architect lol.
Heres the link to Andromeda
http://www.andromedaonline.com/nhtml/music.htm
they are really rush/ early shred influenced. Johan their guitarist was barely 21 when he did their first album. Hes pretty incredible by my standards. It might remind you a little of dream theatre as well.

well....real good chops man..........the recording is muddy.....everything seems to run together.
As busy as this song is.....it'll be hard to avoid that totally.
I'd start by pulling around 500hz down on virtually everything to free up a little space and keep things from running together.
I'm not sure you can get that kick up any without covering other details that are probably more important.
I'd like to hear the lead git parts a little clearer.

Very good musicianship.....quite impressive.

M. Brane- you guessed it right! It's a cassette. That's a big part of the problem I'm sure!

Wireneck- I checked out a few of their tunes. They're very good! I'm not really into the drummer though! The rest of the band smokes. The drummer is great too, but he's a bit busy for my taste. His playing fits the band very well though! They remind me of DT "Images and Words" era. Thanks for the link.

Lt Bob- Thanks for the compliments on the playing! It was a stretch for me when we did as I was new to that genre of music. I went from 80's rock to this! Your suggestions on mixing are for the entire mix or for the master multitrack tapes? I don't have access the masters anymore.
Thanks,
RF

I was mainly thinking about the master but you might try it on the entire mix just to see. I bet it would still help some. the thing is.......it would make a lot more difference for the mixdown because it would have helped reduce tape saturation in that freq. range.
As it is......you'll only be able to modify it a bit.......

Back