Thread: Pop tune - Here I go again`

Thanks

Pop tune - Here I go again`

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys,

www.soundclick.com/seanscogin

Track is Here I go again.

My real questions here are:
    Does anyone have any suggestions for mixing the backing vocals? I have found this to be a daunting task, one with which I am not satisfied. All i did to distinguish it was cut the high end out, put extra reverb on it, and quiet it down by 1 or 2 dbs.
    How do the drums sit in the mix?
    Are the vocals too loud?
    Does the square root of 9.9 equal 3.3?

I really appreciate everyone listening. Please feel free to provide feedback on the quality of song, too. (like, "this song blows" or "nice lyrics" or "im gonna kick your buttox into oblivion for wasting 3 minutes of my life")

Scogs
    My gear (hahaha): Schecter Gryphon, Cort Acoustic, Schecter Custom-5 bass, CAD C195, MXL 990 and 991, Behringer XENYX 1204FX, Behringer V-Amp 2, Behringer FCA 202 firewire audio interface, EMU PM5 nearfields, Dell 2.0 ghz, Adobe Audition 1.5.

Thanks
    Cool tune. Overall enjoyable song.

Backup vox: I'd say sing them in a higher octave. Preferrably twice higher. Or in a thin girly voice like the 80s. Then PAN the vox 10% left and right during areas where they are both singing. I'm not an expert on mixing vox so just throwing out ideas.

Bass: The bass is a little rumbly. Muddy. Maybe cut around 200-400Hz generously. That's what I do to ruin most of my songs.

Solo: Around 1:49. Boost the volume more and add more high-end. The solo shouldn't be overshadowed by the rhythm guitar. You can lower the rhythm guitar in this part also.

Rhythm Guitar: A little dull sounding. Maybe add air. On second though, fix the bass first and then see how it sounds. Maybe lower the volume by a couple of db.

Drums: I'm not a drummer and don't know much about mixing drums. But these sound good to me.

Tune: Nice tune. Even catchy.
    All my stuff available for a listen at:
    http://www.soundclick.com/thebigbubbaband

Thanks
    seansigep
    I like evrything in thsi classic powerpop piece EXCEPT the guitar sound.
    A good song, nice hooks, good dynamics just the guitar sounds are light metal ordinary. A cranked amp would have sufficed - in fact done a great deal better for the song . I agree with bigbubba regarding the bass.
    Yep, good, very good all round except.
    Cheers
    rayc

Thanks
    I'm still a novice at this, and I'm listening on cheap headphones, but here's my two cents:

Quote Originally Posted by seansigep
    Hey guys,

www.soundclick.com/seanscogin

Track is Here I go again.

My real questions here are:
    Does anyone have any suggestions for mixing the backing vocals? I have found this to be a daunting task, one with which I am not satisfied. All i did to distinguish it was cut the high end out, put extra reverb on it, and quiet it down by 1 or 2 dbs.
    Like said above, try a different octave and pan (maybe even more than 10%) left or right. Sometimes you can add an effect (slight flange, maybe) to distinguish it, but it really depends on the song.

How do the drums sit in the mix?
    Sound fine to me

Are the vocals too loud?
    Sound fine to me

Does the square root of 9.9 equal 3.3?
    no

I really appreciate everyone listening. Please feel free to provide feedback on the quality of song, too. (like, "this song blows" or "nice lyrics" or "im gonna kick your buttox into oblivion for wasting 3 minutes of my life")

Scogs
    I dig the song. Actually I kinda like your rhythm guitar tone as well. It's a bit muddy and sounds very flattened (for lack of a better word) but I actually think it fits ok in the song. I'd turn up the solo guitar a little. These are just personal opinions of course. Good luck with it.

Thanks
    dude, definitely like the tune. i have no problems with the mix. definitely reminding me of early weezer and the stereo before they broke up. keep on rockin' man.

Thanks
    Its a lot of fun. I dont have any real problems with the mix either, I could use a bit more guitar possibly. Its catchy, feel-good stuff and you did a good job with it.

Thanks
    Another great song Sean.

It works really well. Just needs cleaning and brightening, as the others have suggested.

I wonder if once you cleaned up all the parts and gave them more of their own space in the mix there would be more space for the vox parts. It would be good if you could leave the backing vox in that register (if you wanted) and still make them be heard. I tried to do that on one of my songs ("Everything's Been Said" on the link below) . I ended up panning the backing vox way out to one side. Then I found a sweet spot way down around 400-500Hz that seemed unique to that vox and gave that a wee boost (after the bottom and top had been chopped off it). It's still not a crystal mix -- or very pro sounding. But I think that's because this song is rough and I don't really know what I'm doing But at least you can now clearly hear the backing vox harmonizing -- without changing octaves. I think you could try something like that.

Good stuff tho.

All the best
    aspiring
    "Life goes in...
    these songs come out."

Thanks
    good job, I'm on pc speakers at work so....

only thing that really stuck out was the lack of definition in the bass, it was there, just really boomy.

on the nitpicking side, it seemed to me that the vocalist should have
    been using more force to balance out the crunchy guitar... sounded kind of
    low energy in relation to the chunka chunka guitar riff.
    C>
    home of the cheap
    land of the improvised

Thanks
    Sounded good to me!

Thanks
    Thanks for the replys. I am going to tweak this song a bit this weekend, and will repost probably sunday. Until then, give it another listen. Its actually a good tune.

Sean
    My gear (hahaha): Schecter Gryphon, Cort Acoustic, Schecter Custom-5 bass, CAD C195, MXL 990 and 991, Behringer XENYX 1204FX, Behringer V-Amp 2, Behringer FCA 202 firewire audio interface, EMU PM5 nearfields, Dell 2.0 ghz, Adobe Audition 1.5.

Thread Information