pop rock

Damn, that was cool. Loved it. Honest to god LOVED it.

Groovy piece. "I would like to smash you to pieces".

Loved the e-bows in the outro. Awesome. "Smashing Pumpkins-like".

Those 8th notes... was that acoustic guitar patch #1? Or piano? Suggest using the same figure, but w/a different instrument in the second verse (for contrast only).

Loved it.

C

(sorry; haven't been around here much... was sick all last week, still getting caught up on things around home.... and had some mild website burnout, too. This song was awesome.)

the lead vocal on this one seems to cut through a little better and the overall sound seems better than i think i've heard from you.........i'm simply talking about sound rather than performance.....you're performance always seems quite consistant, but this one has a very strong vocal quality.......congrats........good work

now thats the ticket.....

I love the less processed sound of your voice......and the song just rocks as usual......

Well this smokes. IMHO your vocals were the best on this I have heard so far, mix and effects. The mix sounded clean and polished to me. The drums rocked.Nice rym gtr sounds and lots of cool keys. The only complaint I have is the begining and the abrupt ending . Was this by design? Anyway this song does grab you. Nice work, cool lyrics. You use an ebow? Man i havent seen those in years. I want one.

Very strong piece Sam. I liked the changes a lot. Nice clean mix and recording too. Just for your own good! I loved that!

Twist

Not exactly what I expected for "pop". That's a good thing.

Dark Pop. :D

Definately rock!:)

Nit picks:

The only thing that really rubbed me wrong was the rythym guitar tone. Too buzzy and saturated.

Light on bass (as usual). Thick bass tones and heavy guitars are a bitch to mix. Most cave and lighten the bass (me included). :eek: :D

Good stuff:

Good non-stock tune!

Voice sounds good!

Cool drums. Are those loops?

VBR :cool: Sounds pretty damn good for an MP3!

The en

:D

Rock--yes! Pop? Oh, its just semantics anyway.

Hey, this sounds as good as anything rock that I've heard. Your vocals sound so confident. I'm glad to see you mixing them up there where they belong. Excellent.

I just love that opening guitar hook--the one thats sort of a fuzztone sound. That is really cool, as is all the guitar work. Dug the break section towards the end there too. You are talented, man!

So this is pop, eh? :D Very twisted pop, I'd say. The mix is huge. I guess the drums do that. Almost like Bonham big, you know. I like your acoustic guitar / electric riff. "I would like to smash you to pieces, just for your own good" :D Lovely. The solo is weird'o again and I wouldn't have expected anything else from you. It's great and wicked. How the hell do you come up with this great stuff? I have nothing bad to say about the mix. 3:20 was very unexpected of you. Reminded me of some Genesis. A great great great tune.

Hey Sam,
.....nice clear vocs man. ....looks like that problem is wooped. This tune is VERY Sabbath (the band, not the internet guru:D ) Interesting guit panning in this. ....Pop...? .....i guess thats all interpretation:D Here at work, the kick sounds kinda floppy... Im not sure if that was intensional or not. I'll hit it again at home. btw: the ending could use some work :D
g

I read the title and for a minute I thought you were going to cover a MarshaMarshaMarsha tune :D:D:D. ha

I liked it a lot. If it's not my favorite of your's, it's certainly on the short list. Good trademark Sam harmonies (would that be "Samonies"?). I liked the guitar parts in the intro - that worked well. The electric part that plays the little licks (and kind of has a muffled sound) could probably be moved up just a nudge. The tone and the part are perfect though.

The line "I would like to smash you to pieces, just for your own good" has some interesting side effects (i.e., if one is smashed to pieces, how could it be for their own good?). So I thought that was good.

Since everyone else is ganging up on you I will too. You call that pop?!?!?! :D:D:D

Vocals are sitting nice, but I think you could give them a slight bump up and probably be ok.

Hey, what's with that ending?

Good one. Mr. Triplage.

You throw this stuff out like most people pay bills - all the time, and you have to.

I think it's gone past song structure and sound and performance - you're always right up there in those areas. Plus, you're really innovative musically. I think it's a matter of how you deal with all this stuff. How do you pick and choose? How do you decide what goes on the album and what gets culled?

There's this thing that happens with my songs. I write an album. I think it's great. I start to record it, and more often than not, another album occurs to me and gets written. The two albums get worked on at the same time. And then, of course, the third album crops up. I feel buggered. How am I gonna get all this material recorded and out there? Anyway, all of this takes time, right? So I go back to the first album and find out that, actually, not every song's a keeper. After another month or so, I find the same thing's true of the second album. To make a long story short, three albums yield one good album of material in the end. It's like wine. You make it, and bung it onto a shelf in the basement somewhere, and then go down after a while and sample it and find out if it's any good.

Of course, you probably know all this. Anyway, if you do know all this... buy me a bottle of wine? :D

Wonderfully disturbing. I always enjoy your combination of pleasing sounds with the dark edge.

I don't know if that buzzing in the early guitar solo parts is my system, on purpose, or a glitch.

I love the reduced volume screaming in "just for your own good."

Great stuff! When're you going on tour? ;)

I would like to smash you to pieces!

sorry to be spamming the board so much lately.. thanks for bothering to comment.. I'm gonna keep this short.. just a few quick things since there doesn't seem to be any major mix concerns.. cool.

the drums were done in Fruity Loops with samples that I made myself from a Roland TD-8 sound module. I put it together in Acid, and then added effects to the drums in Sonar.. (reverb and compression) I burnt that to a disc, and then added all the music and vocals on the Tascam..

participant - I hear ya Chad.. I'm not crazy about that sound I used listening back to it now, but I came up with the riff and basically kept going until it was done.. I couldn't change the sound now unless I rerecorded it.. thanks Chad!

Myx62 - yeah the abrupt ending and beginning was intentional.. I have no idea why..

Guernica - dude, I have been experimenting with drum sounds lately until I find the main kit I can rely on.. maybe I haven't found it yet.. (or ever will for that matter) I sang through the Digitech on this one.. It seems the problem was me all along! (What a surprise):rolleyes:

Triple M - you are the official harmony moderator.. Let no off key harmony go unmentioned.. :)

all you guys know I appreciate the ears..

thanks!

mud

Like the lead work on the neck pickup. I like this better than your techkno sidetrack last month. Just kidding that was kind of cool too. Your vocal delivery is a bit like Ozzie Osbourne. The lead sound with the neck pickup sounds nice an mellow but the rythum has a high mid harshness to it. This is probly the wrong thing to say but the rythum guitar needs more balls. Or fattening or something. Its not that its bad, its just a bit amp-sim-ish. Drums and vocals sound good.

Scott..

Back