pop punk the way the ataris wanted it to be

keerus

hey. this is my first mix with electric guitar. i've mainly done acoustic stuff before, so this is a new experience for me. the one thing about this mix that bothers me is that the guitars sound like they're clipping, and they're not even close to clipping on my meters. i don't know what caused that, but other than that, critique this mix. help me get better. thanks in advance.

justin

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3664&alid=-1
"Waves of Drama"

I not a mixmaster or anything, but I think it sounded great man.

One thing I did notice is that the vocals were kinda overtaken by the guitar in some parts. I am listening to it through comp speakers though so......

sounded top notch though

I not a mixmaster or anything, but I think it sounded great man.

One thing I did notice is that the vocals were kinda overtaken by the guitar in some parts. I am listening to it through comp speakers though so......

sounded top notch though

sounds nice, what did u use with the bass drum, and how did u eq it? i've always had a problem with my bass drum sounds...

i'm guessing that u had the gain on the mic preamp up too high for the guitars during tracking, thats why it may be clipping.

also, please check out my latest mix...
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=3168/singles
"another love story"

bass drum

i actually used drumagog on the kick drum. i obtained the sample by cutting it out of a thrice song when the kick drum was isolated. the sample was weak by itself, so i added some low end and cut out some 5kHz "click" noise of the beater.

You could try EQing the bass to try and get more definition.
That would allow you to turn the bass volume down without losing the bass presence.
That would probably bring the guitar and vocals forward in the mix also.

*BACK OFF THE AUTOTUNE*

i won't say i've never used it, but i like using it only where it's needed, and then it's very relaxed... but maybe this is the way pop punk is progressing... ugh.

the snare is killing me cause i can only hear the top head... where's the snap?

the guitar mix is leaning to the right a tad, and i'm not a big fan of the guitar tones, although it does sound punky.

overall good, but needs a little more polishing IMHO.

also there were some digital overs spattered throughout, nothing that i could hear at a low volume though. might want to take .5 to 1 dB off the master level when you mix it down next time, or do a little bit of limiting.

Again I'm no mixing expert but it sounded pretty good on headphones. Overall it lack a little crispness and the snare could do with more beef and crack, to my ears anyway but maybe that was the sound you're after. The thing I like about it, particularly towards the end is that it sounded like a whole band playing, rather than a collection of individual takes thrown together.

I'm interested in your use of Drumagog for the kick. Is it easy to use? I guess you could replace your snare with a sample too if you wanted

Nice power pop tune.

I agree about the snare, though...
It really needs so have some depth tonal-wise to it.
Sounds more like a high-pitched conga than a snare.
Probably distracts me more than others because I am a Drummer.

Excellent guitar chops, very dynamic. Great tone too.

The Bass is too buried in the mixed...
If the Drums are completely re-done/re-mixed, and the Bass was up more, this thing would really fly.

The Vocals are really good, as well as the lyrics.

The tune has alot of potential.
I would love to hear it again with a different Drum and more Bass.

Good Job!

I thought it sounded great, the performance too. The vocals are seriously killing me though. Great guitar tones.

Great job.

dug the tune

there seem to be some dynamic issues

the drums sound flat relative to the electric guitars

and the lead vox need a little more presence

loved the grt tone, and great chops!

This is a fine tune, and very fine vocal performance. Good instrumental performances.

The first verse vocal is mixed just at a level where if I concentrate really, really hard, I can get almost every word.

It's taken a third listening for me to clearly understand your chorus hook, that's very bad. The chorus hook must be easily understandable. Record executives WILL NOT listen a second time, they simply don't have the time.

Your fans and listeners must be able to clearly grasp your chorus hook with NO CHALLENGES, the first time.

The singer is the star of the song.

It's not a song without a singer.

Why let the instruments compete with the singer ? ESPECIALLY a very good vocalist like this ? You can roll the high end off this tenor singer and get a lot more volume or 'presence' in this mix.

The middle of this singer's range appears to 'our human ears' as the frequency we are most sensitive to. Remove some of the middle range, and upper range from the singer with EQ, just a bit, and you will be amazed at how much more overall volume and clarity you can get in his vocal. Right now, the high end in his voice is slamming your compressor.

At 1:21, as the second verse starts, there is no change in the instrument volume levels, the instruments must come down as the verse starts. Even though the instruments are playing a part which may seem to give the vocal breath space ... it does not. Compress the instruments more in the verses and lower the volume of the instruments.

The vocalist should be the undisputed center stage star in the second verse.

The Chorus at 1:45, the instruments are really, really thick and loud.

You have some really nice backup harmony vocals there, and they are barely audible. The human instrument is ALWAYS more important than an electric instrument, IMHO, in this genre and style. The chicks want to hear the vocals, period, you cannot argue with that.

They want to hear the 'cute young dude'. If he isn't treated as the star in the mix, it sucks, it's 'just another band'.

The only way to present these excellent harmony and backup vocals, and then present them with seperation from the instrument bed around and beneath them, and the lead vocal on top of them ... is to have 'HEADROOM' for the vocal. And that means LOWERING the instruments.

And a lot of this needs to be done with EQ. And I think you are ready to jump into that stage of 'the mix'. Tailoring tracks with custom EQ is very time consuming, frusterating, and very advanced mixing.

But it could make this mix fantastic.

Don't abandon the right stereo field at 2:03, clone that track and present it about 15%Right at a very low volume with lots of verb and delay ... a 'ghost'. Listeners on the right side of the car ... stop listening to your song when that happens. Listeners on the right side of the club ... stop listening. It may sound cool on phones or a mixing station, but it's amateur.

The third verse at 2:13, too much reverb on the vox, dry and whining, this is what the chicks want. Use a tiny amount of reverb and use some 20 milisecond delay to fill that out. I can hear the plate inbetween the vox phrases here, back-off on this fine vocalist's reverb, he can stand on his own without that much verb. The vocal level here is much, much better.

At 3:00, the vocal needs to come up at least 2db, preferably 4db, and that means you need headroom in the mix to do that. Guitars are cool, but when they compete with a fine vocal and lyric ... especially in a lyrically driven pop vocal like this ... they suck.

If the vocalist were screaming and groaning and making macabre sounds, the guitar levels would be justifiable, as that type of vocal is more like a 'human instrument' rather than a 'lyric and melody'.

This last chorus, instruments need to come down 2db, a bit more compression on this last chorus vocal.

Now, understand I LIKE, I LIKE, I LIKE ... but I want it to be FANTASTIC ... :)

Man, this is a great song, and please remember ... distorted guitars DO NOT have to be LOUD to sound ballsy and aggressive, that is their very nature. A distorted and tube-driven guitar sounds ballsy and aggressive at any volume.

I think overall, this high tom is to loud, or maybe that's a snapperless snare ?

Great song, I enjoyed this, thanks for posting.

im not really

into this style at all but it sounds like a tight performance. The drums seem to be lacking the most tracking wise. The snare is just sort of out there by itself and sounds highly overcompressed with no snare sound. This has been covered though. Tweak the mix with some of the advice that everyone has offered and you should have a nice sounding song.
Is there a requirement for singers to sound like this in this style of music?

Re: im not really

Wireneck said:

Is there a requirement for singers to sound like this in this style of music?
That's kind of what I was thinking. I've got no room to criticize anyones vocal skills, but that whiny stuff really bothers me. Mixwise, I think it's mostly been said, so I won't bother repeating it all. The 13 year old girls ought to love it. But if you're over 14 you better leave em alone.;)

Back