Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pop Punk remix thing...

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line
    Thanks

Thumbs up Pop Punk remix thing...

Sign in to disable this ad
    here's another one of those AcidPlanet remix contest thingies that i did. i recorded and mixed everything yesterday, got it uploaded this morning and i'm pretty excited about it so far.

it's some new song by Simply Red, the original is here:
    http://www.acidplanet.com/Play/PlayC...OverYou&t=7612

so i just took the lead vocal, then turned it into a punk rock song, check it out:
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=993393&t=9033

i think you might have to register to be able to download the MP3, but the streaming version isn't really that bad. anyway, let me know what's good and bad about the mix. i know its super loud and maybe distorted, but hey i'm trying to keep to the pop punk theme! are the vocals maybe a bit too up-front? i put some reverb on the snare to liven it up, but is it too much?
    Maybe you can interface with my ass, by biting it.
    "It's hopeless. I can hear all this great music in my head, but my stupid hands can't keep up..."

Thanks
    The concept is awesome and I think the remix is really cool on its own. It turned out great in my opinion.

As always, there's a couple of things that you could tweak. The vocal isn't too loud but there's a disconnect between the intimacy of the vocal recording and the pop punk style. I'm of two minds about it because the more I hear it (2nd listen now) I'm kind of digging that about it, but you could reduce it by maybe adding some short and subtle slapback echo or something. (That might not work.)

The other thing is that the drum programming is great but it's still really obviously a drum machine. It depends on what your drum machine makes available what you can do about that. It would be great if you could alternate between two snare samples on the fills, that's the main tipoff.

As before, overall I think it's really good.

Thanks

Thumbs up

thanks for listening! yeah the vocal was tricky to get it to sit, i tried a couple different effects and ended up just smashing it through a super-colored compressor or two (or three) to make it sound a bit more grungy.

the drums were actually done in DFHS, so it's all multisampled, but i guess i could mess with the velocities a bit more in the snare fills. i think the compression on the snare really kinda kills the character of the multi-sampled hits, but hey if you listen to similar modern music, that's how everyone's snare sounds haha. i just got kinda lazy with the velocities while programming the fills, so every snare hit in the song is like 100% full strength.

thanks again for checking it out. i appreciate the tips. i might go back tonight and mess with the drums a little bit to make it somewhat more realistic.
    "It's hopeless. I can hear all this great music in my head, but my stupid hands can't keep up..."

Thanks
    Good quality Zed...sounds pretty good.
    I agree teh vocals could use something in order to sit a bit better. They are pretty crisp, and a bit of some effect might smooth the edges a bit. Try a few things, and see if anything grabs ya.
    Other than that, you did a good job putting the music together. Nice guitar tone, and good progression.
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks
    I think a big part of why the vocals don't sit is that they are just slightly out of time in most of the song.

Also, maybe try fattening them up a bit with eq and maybe make them a bit wider.

Just my two cents.

Sounds pretty good though!
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NL5
    I think a big part of why the vocals don't sit is that they are just slightly out of time in most of the song.

Also, maybe try fattening them up a bit with eq and maybe make them a bit wider.

Just my two cents.

Sounds pretty good though!
    yeah, the original song was like 77BPM, so i bumped it up to 88BPM (but then basically doubled that for the drums) and i think that might have kinda made the timing a little screwy. also, in the original, since it's kind of a mellow tune, i think the singer was pretty lax on the timing anyway. i can try and get more nit-picky with the timing and see if it helps. there's still like 30 days for the contest so i still have plenty of time to get it good. thanks for the tips man! i like your work.

Dogman, the edges are kinda hard because instead of giving one big vocal track, they actually split it up into like 16 different parts, and some of them come in kinda abruptly, and the compressor adds a serious edge to it. i think i might try some volume automation or something, and maybe do some more EQing. thanks for checkin it out.

so thanks everyone for listening, now i got some more ideas to work with to get this thing sounding awesome.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Whoa!!! You're the man!!!

Thanks
    Very cool treatment; but the vox out of sync thing really needs to be addressed.. It's just distracting enough to keep me from enjoying it thoroughly...
    Phil My website
    (Win7/Core i7-3770k/32GB/MOTU 8pre/StudioOne 2.6/Melodyne Editor/EastWest)

Thanks

Thumbs up

OK i sat down and messed with it a bit, i aligned the vocals better so they are pretty close to spot on. i added a chorus plug to the vocal track, brought the guitars up a tiny bit, and used a different compressor on the bass to tighten it up a little bit. also took a small amount of reverb off the snare.

the mastered version is so over-compressed it ain't even funny!! but hey that's what the kids are into these days, haha. i almost got it as loud as American Idiot! hooray for the volume wars!

here's the link again:
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=993393&t=7895
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smash-jpg  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zed32
    OK i sat down and messed with it a bit, i aligned the vocals better so they are pretty close to spot on. i added a chorus plug to the vocal track, brought the guitars up a tiny bit, and used a different compressor on the bass to tighten it up a little bit. also took a small amount of reverb off the snare.

the mastered version is so over-compressed it ain't even funny!! but hey that's what the kids are into these days, haha. i almost got it as loud as American Idiot! hooray for the volume wars!

here's the link again:
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=993393&t=7895
    Things seem to sit better now...a bit more cohesive.
    Good job man...
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thread Information