A Political Work

K-dub

New lyrics by Chris Simanonis (of Barcus Poco) and myself.

Vote

Show me that a vote still matters
Show it's not for show
For it seems that each November
Winds of change delivers status quo

Are elections thin illusions?
Between a choice of two few?

Choose a person ...

... and their party whisks them off to Washington

To join rank and file
Just wink and smile
It’s all about the spin

Hard facts be damned
Ignore good sense
When others lose we win

Marching lockstep
Takes you places
Special interests control ...
Campaigns serve their moneyed masters
Careful not to rock the party boat

Wait ...

ALL the runners promise change
And they say they're the ones who can change things
What exactly can they change?
Nothing changes
Party reigns

Time to send the parties packing
Time to send them home

Time to call the party over
Time to send them all home

Pop the special party favors
They grew too big and failed us

Time to start some other parties

Time to send that message when we vote

---------------------------------

Music by Kevin White
Lyrics by Kevin White and Chris Simanonis
Copyright 2010 A Little White Music

Last edited:
btw ... are others getting the google ad for Q-Division Studio appearing? It's kind of cool for me to see because it's my cousin's studio.

They've had national hits out of there (think: Casey's mom has got it going on).

I love this song because it speaks the truth. The parties are all just a bunch of liars and we have no real vote on who we need to lead this nation (or any other nation that has the vote). This song has a real Chicago type feel to it, I think, and I like that. I liked how at the end it kind of seemed to fall apart and fizzle out, like what could be going on in the world and then it comes into "America the Beautiful". At first I didn't like that at all, but it grew on me the next few times I listened and then I noticed that you ended it on "Hollywood". There has got to be something to that. Like Hollywood is where it all starts and ends with all the bull****. Great song man. :)

Trump

Wonderful, another great piece, Kev.
Those drums sound marvellous to me. Great arrangement and love the ending.
Keep going....!;)

Joey :)

Instruments sound great. Vox are a little up front to me.

My biggest issues are in the general sound. The sounds are all nice and ear-pleasing, but they're too "clean and polite" for a protest song. To me there's a disconnect.

Instruments sound great. Vox are a little up front to me.

My biggest issues are in the general sound. The sounds are all nice and ear-pleasing, but they're too "clean and polite" for a protest song. To me there's a disconnect.

You know, bud ... the same thought occurred to me -- but eh ... sometimes you just have to go: "It is what it is."

I'll look into the vocal level. I kept turning it down on speakers then turning it back up when on phones.

Thanks Trip!

Wonderful, another great piece, Kev.
Those drums sound marvellous to me. Great arrangement and love the ending.
Keep going....!;)

Joey :)

Superior Drums 2 ... incredible drum sound. This is the N.Y. Avatar kit, but I'm going to purchase the new one they rolled out not too long ago.

They even include some incredible midi clips ... like the 3/4 patterns that I employed on "For The Coast" ... top shelf plug.

Thanks again, J!

Kev-

I love this song because it speaks the truth. The parties are all just a bunch of liars and we have no real vote on who we need to lead this nation (or any other nation that has the vote). This song has a real Chicago type feel to it, I think, and I like that. I liked how at the end it kind of seemed to fall apart and fizzle out, like what could be going on in the world and then it comes into "America the Beautiful". At first I didn't like that at all, but it grew on me the next few times I listened and then I noticed that you ended it on "Hollywood". There has got to be something to that. Like Hollywood is where it all starts and ends with all the bull****. Great song man. :)

Trump

Part of my issue w/ politics of late is that the extremes of the party ... that normally might be considered "fringe nut jobs" because the take everything over the top -- are the ones who've been leading the nation lately.

We've gone from extreme right all the way to the polar opposite side to extreme left.

I'm surprised we all don't have neck injuries from the collective whiplash.

Why does the extreme rule? Because both parties cow tow to the extreme elements w/in their party to get elected. Me? I'd rather they just get the feck out if they don't like it. I like people who think more centrist.

The problem is, the parties have entrenched and created so many legislative roadblocks that it's nearly impossible to get on the election ballot ... and when someone does -- like Nader -- they simply use their power to fight every step of the way ... and pull nonsense like ignoring them and not allowing them into TV debates.

The way I figure it is that we, the voters, are the only ones empowered to break up the parties. The way we do that is simply vote for anyone BUT either party. I think I'll start a Facebook page to that effect.

You were right about how I ended the song on that word ... (brotherhood) ... but you got the sense of it.

K-

A little less up front with the vox, a bit more gang vocal and some dirt'd be cool.
Good thoughts, the melody carries the lyrics pretty well - it's just that the production seems a bit polished for rabble rousing.
Our two party system boasts two right of centre parties fighting over who's the most fiscally conservative whilst falling over themselves to adopt league table ranking of students, schools, hospitals, etc but not themselves of course.
We haven't had a true left wing govt. since the mid 70's. Since then it's been centerist disguises for freemarket vandals & robber barrons selling our brown coal to third world economies & then talking carbon taxes to the rest of the world.
Our last Govt even sponsored a stevedore company's employment & middle east training (yeah, they shipped of the scabs to the ME so they wouldn't be found out whilst training)of strike breakers & paid for the security companies to bash their way through the picket lines whilst legislatively removing all protections for working conditions and unfair dismissal pretection as well. Now, that govt & Prime Minister describes themselves as conservative - I call that radical - right wing radical. Oh, & the minister responsible was quickly moved on to the World Bank so he was out of country & wouldn't be required/available to answer questions to a senate inquiry.

Mix comments noted, and thanks Ray!

Doesn't matter much where one lives, they're all the same, aren't they?

K-

You were right about how I ended the song on that word ... (brotherhood) ... but you got the sense of it.

K-[/QUOTE]

HaHaHa. I am LMAO it is "brotherhood" that it says. I guess I need to read up on the words to that one again. Oh well, I was a little heavy in some cold ones when I wrote that, so I guess it's a good thing they lifted prohibition back in the day, so that I could look like a complete jack ass on these forums. :laughings:

Nah ... no worries. I'd be the first to admit tipping on occasion.

I got honesty from your post. That's what matters.

I've been ignoring this one for awhile now, because I was afraid it would be the typical "Bush lied, people died", "blood for oil", "America sucks, gimme something else free" kinda bull****. I was pleasantly surprised by some thoughtful political commentary. Thanks.

Good sounds overall. Good voice. I hear elements of Chicago (arrangement), Billy Joel (piano/voice) and Queensryche (interlude) in this piece. (Random, I know :o) Interestingly cool. I love the interlude/solo in the middle; I always like harmonized guitars; well done and very pleasing to hear.

I like the message, but some lyrics/phrasing sounds like they're really being shoehorned into the song. Good tones, in all, I'm just not sure the "song" is being served in the end. Are the Auto-tune artifacts intentional? I hope not. You may need to re-record those notes if AT is gonna wonk them on you. The vox do seem to ride high in the mix. Sometimes, I like to have to listen 2 or 3 times to get all the lyrics in a song, rather than have it hit me over the head the first time (personal pref.)

Good stuff there - good luck :D

I've been ignoring this one for awhile now, because I was afraid it would be the typical "Bush lied, people died", "blood for oil", "America sucks, gimme something else free" kinda bull****. I was pleasantly surprised by some thoughtful political commentary. Thanks.

Good sounds overall. Good voice. I hear elements of Chicago (arrangement), Billy Joel (piano/voice) and Queensryche (interlude) in this piece. (Random, I know :o) Interestingly cool. I love the interlude/solo in the middle; I always like harmonized guitars; well done and very pleasing to hear.

I like the message, but some lyrics/phrasing sounds like they're really being shoehorned into the song. Good tones, in all, I'm just not sure the "song" is being served in the end. Are the Auto-tune artifacts intentional? I hope not. You may need to re-record those notes if AT is gonna wonk them on you. The vox do seem to ride high in the mix. Sometimes, I like to have to listen 2 or 3 times to get all the lyrics in a song, rather than have it hit me over the head the first time (personal pref.)

Good stuff there - good luck :D

Hey M, thanks for that thoughtful review.

Actually, not only is some of the phrasing slightly awkward, as I've been listening back, I keep hearing a different melody in certain parts. I think I'm going to replace those lines with a different approach.

Where are the artifacts you're hearing?

Kev-

Hey M, thanks for that thoughtful review.

Actually, not only is some of the phrasing slightly awkward, as I've been listening back, I keep hearing a different melody in certain parts. I think I'm going to replace those lines with a different approach.

Where are the artifacts you're hearing?

Kev-

"party favOrs", "party Ooover" .....which reminds me, from a lyrical pov, the word "party" is used waaaay too many times - it just adds to the 'shoehorniness' :D If you are gong to re take the vox, then (I would) take some time to rework the lyrics using more imagery, simile, innuendo, etc. Sorry if I'm over-stepping here, lyrics are personal and I don't want to presume that I know what I'm talking about, because my lyrics are nothing special.

:D

"party favOrs", "party Ooover" .....which reminds me, from a lyrical pov, the word "party" is used waaaay too many times - it just adds to the 'shoehorniness' :D If you are gong to re take the vox, then (I would) take some time to rework the lyrics using more imagery, simile, innuendo, etc. Sorry if I'm over-stepping here, lyrics are personal and I don't want to presume that I know what I'm talking about, because my lyrics are nothing special.

:D

Party is the message. But ... this is the section that I also thought needed work ... so I will craft it better.

Thanks ... seriously, for the honest input.

Kev-

Back