Point On The Horizon

jonlint

Hi all,

Wrote this song today. Struggling with the genre - any suggestions? Feedback most welcome:

Point On The Horizon by Jonathan Linton 4 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

POINT ON THE HORIZON
(Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)

A bumpy road
Ahead of you
Tired ‘n’ weary, ploddin’ through
Seems you fail
Before you try
Always wonder why
Why it’s so hard
Why you’re denied

A point on the horizon
You’ll never see it
But you know it’s there
Smiles, fears ‘n’ crying
Will take us to that
Point on the horizon

Is it test
Of your will
Or right of passage to fulfill
When motivation’s
Bone dry
Makes you wonder why
Why it’s so hard
Why you’re denied

A point on the horizon
You never see it
But know it’s there
Smiles, fears ‘n’ crying
Will take us to that
Point on the horizon

SOLO

A point on the horizon
You never see it
But know it’s there
Smiles, fears ‘n’ crying
Will take us to that point

A point on the horizon
You never see it
But know it’s there
Smiles, fears ‘n’ crying
Will take us to that
Point on the horizon

Wow! This is good. Like a crossover between Ugly Kid Joe and Saliva. I would call it Hard rock. Grooooooovy!!!!

The verse reminds of 80s era Judas Priest. I could imagine Rob Halford singing this. It also reminds me of MSG Cry For The Nations era, your vocals reminds me of his vocalist Gary Barden. All in a good way. Very well done. I wouldn't worry about genres.

I hear the Priest in there! Envious of your vocals! Are your guitars direct or mic'd?

Thanks man! I use a POD HD500 for messing around and a Kemper for proper tones. Sometimes when I mess around I come up with a riff and get too lazy to set up the Kemper. That was the case here - so the guitars are POD HD500 but quad tracked.

well hello
zz
or metala
nice vox oh yes
its perfect
i lit my lighter
bump my head
rhythm guitar could be more dominate in terms of tone - for me, less grit.

Very well done all around. Catchy tune, and all the parts are well-performed.

There's one spot in the choruses that consistently sounds a little out to me. It happened every time you sang "crying" and a few times on "horizon." It sounds a little sharp there ... or almost as if you're drifting up sharp --- maybe on purpose? Or maybe it's a guitar bend that's happening at that same spot? It was hard to say. All I know is that I found it a bit distracting in an otherwise flawlessly performed chorus (IMHO).

Cool stuff!

The Genre is pretty clear....

Don't try to make this or you anythihg else but that. This is 80's Heavy Metal all day long...Obviously the darker stuff.

Range is great dude. Guitar work is slick. Why did I even bother doing my own guitar. Guys like you just make me wanna put the darn thing down...

Great job on harmonies. I think drums can be up & Bass a tad? But, not my specialty Genre...

I hate you because you wrote this, recorded it and posted it in a day. It takes me months to finish a song.

The guitar work is great. Excellent groove in the rhythms and the lead work is understated and tasteful. I guess I am jealous for a second time here.

The cymbals on the drums are a bit phasey so that is something to look at. Maybe just invert the polarity on certain tracks to get rid of that. Otherwise, if flipping doesn't work, you might need to slide something around ever so slightly to avoid how tracks are lining up. Hard to pinpoint the solution without knowing the tracks.

Really strong vocals. I really appreciate the control you have over your vibrato. I can't help but feeling like if you focused less on it, however, it would be more impactful. As it is, it is everywhere so I'm like "really cool vibrato", but if you just pulled it out at key moments, I would be like "REALLY. COOL. VIBRATO.". Know what I mean? Subjective of course. Figured it was worth sharing the thought for whatever it's worth.

Enjoyed the listen dude. Great job. Still hate you, but great job.

Great track. You and Gonzo should collab/ Be interesting to hear what those guitar and vocal harmonies would sound like

Back