Pleb looking for feedback / mellow rap chill

herbsmanno1

Hey you, thanks for checking out my thread.
I have this track that I've been working on for sometime, I think I've been listening to it for so long that I've lost all objectivity. It sounds more full and present in my headphones, but when I play it on my JBL lsr 305's it almost becomes plucky, crackelly and hollow.

View attachment florintds test 8.mp3

Any advice and or feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Dane

On headphones here the snare is very present. You could change that up with a different sample occasionally. I like the other percussion and the track overall. Very cruisy and downtempo with a nice groove. Good job

i like the feel of this and the sounds you use. It sounds like mixwise, there are frequencies building up and its making it sound like theres no high end. I'd say mix it a bit on your JBL's and cross reference with your headphones and any other playback system you have.

On headphones here the snare is very present. You could change that up with a different sample occasionally. I like the other percussion and the track overall. Very cruisy and downtempo with a nice groove. Good job

You're right about the snare, when I looked at it I saw that I haven't actually changed anything since I exported the loop. I cuted it here and there now, it's much groovier when it stops now and then. Great find, thanks!

i like the feel of this and the sounds you use. It sounds like mixwise, there are frequencies building up and its making it sound like theres no high end. I'd say mix it a bit on your JBL's and cross reference with your headphones and any other playback system you have.

View attachment florintds test 9.mp3

That makes a lot of sense seeing how my AKG K99's are a bit stronger on high-mid frequencies. If you find time, let me know if the above is fuller on high frequencies, I've made some adjustments. And thanks!

I like the new mix. The snare still sounds a little off to me. Maybe try a 3 to 6 dB cut around the 300-500 hz range. That might make it fit better in the mix. Other than that, I loved the groove. The bass felt nice and the percussion was on point. Just enough to let everything else through. Fix that snare and you'll be in business. Have you tried other snares? Maybe something a little less boingy? Just a thought.

I like the new mix. The snare still sounds a little off to me. Maybe try a 3 to 6 dB cut around the 300-500 hz range. That might make it fit better in the mix. Other than that, I loved the groove. The bass felt nice and the percussion was on point. Just enough to let everything else through. Fix that snare and you'll be in business. Have you tried other snares? Maybe something a little less boingy? Just a thought.

Couldn't agree more! I turned it down a bit and cut of around 300-500, its much less agressive now and isn't stealing all the attention, thank you!

I like the calmness and grooveyness of the track and like someone else previously touched on, I think it gets a bit repetitive and I'd like to hear maybe a new sound, but its still a really nice track :listeningmusic:

{EDIT} That comment was before I listened to your newer track, nice change of sound :guitar:

ok so I couldn't wrap my head around why when listening at high volume it was all dull and mushy (if thats is a word), especially on my speakers, and for a while I thought it is because I don't have proper stands and that those were the table reflections. Then I just went nuts with multicompressors gain bars and it turns out everything from 200 to around 600 was causing that, and I know its not only bass in those frequencies because killing those frequencies just on bass does not have the same effect. I went berserk, did -5 on 200-600, and now it's so much cleaner and the other frequencies are coming out nicely. Ofcourse now a the low end is not so full when listening on my headphones, but that's a compromise I'm willing to make. Let me know if you have the same impression, or if its just me, then it probably is my table :)

mltbndcmp.png

View attachment florintds test 200-600 killed.mp3

ok so I couldn't wrap my head around why when listening at high volume it was all dull and mushy (if thats is a word), especially on my speakers, and for a while I thought it is because I don't have proper stands and that those were the table reflections. Then I just went nuts with multicompressors gain bars and it turns out everything from 200 to around 600 was causing that, and I know its not only bass in those frequencies because killing those frequencies just on bass does not have the same effect. I went berserk, did -5 on 200-600, and now it's so much cleaner and the other frequencies are coming out nicely. Ofcourse now a the low end is not so full when listening on my headphones, but that's a compromise I'm willing to make. Let me know if you have the same impression, or if its just me, then it probably is my table :)

View attachment 104102

View attachment 104103

I agree that that cleaned it up a little. My feeling though is that you should go in and address those frequencies on the individual tracks. To me, its not just the bass that's dominating the 200-600 area, its the synths and kick as well. You wouldn't necessarily need to cut 200-600 from every instrument though. But you gotta find the area on each instrument that is clogging up that area. For the bass it might be 200, for the snare it might be 300 and so on. Make sure each track has its place while still complimenting each other. I hope this helps you a little bit.

Thanks! Though it's probably going to be used as a beat for rapping over it, so it ought to sound a bit repetative without the vocal

Yeah that's why I wrote it was a berserk move, it is against all recomendations to make such drastic adjustments on the mix bus, I was amazed it did so well precisely because of that!
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look in to futher to see where the clog is for each track.

Back