Please take a listen

Welcome. I listened to all three. Liked "Take Your Lies" the best. I thought all of the mixes were good. Interesting sound with the horns in there. Very good stuff.

I liked Turntable best. Search reminded me a little of Thomas Dolby at times. They were all good, and I think they're ready.

Twist

This is good stuff.

Hey Not bad at all man. I think it's pretty good stuff. Sounds alot like the 80's Bowie. The main thing I'd say on the mix is that the vocals seem a little buried. I noticed it the most on turntable. The verse's are very down there in the mix. On take your lies the vocals sound boxy. I think with a little volume volume adjustment and hi end on the other songs the vocals would sound real good. take your lies needs the most work, I think.
For the most part the rest of the mix sound real good. It's the vocals that jump out at me as needing help. Not the vocalist, the mix.

Good stuff man

F.S.

Wery Nice

The first song reminded me of that "Christmastime is here" song those guys do on SNL -- the one where Chris Kattan shakes his head back & forth...

Your songs have a great groove to them.... the trumpet reminds me of the band "Cake", but the rhythms are much more "Modern rock".

The recordings are simple; a little understated, maybe--but the songs are very strong. Great writing/arranging. The last song has some really tasty chord-work. Your characteristic is that 8th note strumming, plus your unusual chord voicings.

In a word... MELODIC... the best description of your stuff. You should gain a large audience with this stuff. Good luck.

c

I think the vocals are too upfront for this kind of music. I would turn them down a dB or 2, and take of the delay...then compress the vox more.

Drums sound great, as guitars and bass.

thanks!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate everyone taking the time to listen.

Freudian,

I know what you're saying about those vox on take your lies. It was originally supposed to be the scratch track. The band thought it was a great take and wanted to use it as is. I think it was just a 57 or 58 with the singer/guitarist and bassist sharing a mic and was never intended to be more than a reference. I'm going to have to work with it some more.

Darth,

I go back and forth on whether the vox are too loud or not. I might experiment with what you suggested. Regardless, thanks for listenting.

C,

Thanks for taking a listen. I'll pass your comments on to the guys in the band. I'm not familiar with the snl reference, but I'll take your word on it. What exactly did you mean when you said the recordings are a little understated? Is it the arrangements, the sounds or the recording in general? Please elaborate as I'm curious to what you mean...

Kjam, Twist, thanks again for your input. It's all appreciated.

-Rich

Good stuff. I listened to "Search". Definite 80's flair. Some nice breakdowns and false endings. The "full" parts don't sound cluttered - that's hard to pull off.

The parts where it was just bass/drums/guitar sounded incomplete somehow - I got the sense I was hearing too much guitar there, and that the git level contributed to the sense that there was only one thing going on there. Maybe pulling back the git a little there might solve it?

The "than our own" notes seemed forced, somehow. If I heard right, you're playing an 8-b7-3 over a IVmaj chord: b7-3 is hard to sing, and neither note is in the IV chord. If it were my tune, I'd probably try to find different notes for that - but it's your piece, of course.

Again, this was very good work. Reminded me a bit of ABC, I think. Always liked them.

turntable

man rockin right out of the gate!!
nice harmonies
man this has a really good "feel " to it...the guitar line is catchy ..which is aplus!!.."go on take the last word" great line..
cool breakdown ....yes!.....thats great..

so whats the story here do you play out???...

very cool.
jamal

I hit "turntable" and "take your lies." I liked "take your lies" a ton. Pretty cool break. "Fake emotion,"...nice, I like that.

The feedback/whale mating call sound around 2:10 might be a touch loud, but I'm not sure. I listened to it 3X and it kept kinda' jolting me. I like that Rikkenbacker tone (yes, it's true I have no idea how to spell "Rik," lol). I'm not crazy about the horn sounds, but the element fits in a really cool way.

The vox could come up a db or 2 on both tunes...

This is cool. Stick around, please. :D

Turntable is a cool song.The vocals could come up just a notch.Are the distorted guitars doubled or just cloned and panned to the left and right a little?They sound a little mono even though they are coming from both sides.........I think extreme panning of the guitars hard left and right would open up the middle space a little bit for the vocal to cut through..........just some thoughts as I listen.....nice backing vocals.

The bass sounds a little warbly and undefined.

Overall a very good tune.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Excellent arrangements. Lots of nice sounding real instruments working well together.

Search for life was my favorite. The break at the end knocked me out.

thanks...

Thanks again for taking the time to listen.

Dafduc,
A good observation. There is a bit of deliberate discord over that part. It's a style thing they wanted to experiment with. I actually like the fact that isnt a traditional chord voicing. Theoretically, it might not work, but I dont think it takes a way from the tune in anyway. (Of course this is just my opinion...)

Jamal,
The band is from NYC and can be seen at various clubs around town and beyond. Check out their website, www.dollhousearchitects.com, for details.

Kramer,
thanks for your input. we're going to do a remix on turntable this week. I'll post the new version when it's done.

fprod south,
glad you like the tunes. That breakdown was collaboration at its finest. we've got some more of that type stuff scattered on some of the other tunes on the album.

chrisharris,
Yes that slide/whale noise will come down in the final mix. Glad you like the ric tone.

Take care everyone, and thanks again for listening...

-Rich

First off, I like the name 'Dollhouse Architects' - I think that's kind of cool.

Listened to Turntable. I liked the music. Nice and catchy. During the break at 1:40-ish the acoustic was real quiet - could bearly hear it. I'd bring it up a bit. The lead vocal was quiet in spots too.

The harmony parts were nice. The high part could maybe have some mids EQ'd out. I think it would smooth things up a bit. Also watch for syncing the vocal parts together - watch the high harmony at about 1:22.

Again - good song.

Back