Please share your opinions on this mix

Camazza

I'm in the process of recording and mixing a song for our band. So far we have some temporary guitars (used as a guide for the drummer) and some semi-definitive drums (I still have to do some comping).
This is a very rough mix using the temporary guitars.

[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/oqmecr6ujuxxc0n/Putiferio%282%29.mp3?token_hash=AAGet1X9H5vhR0Vf0O74OU113-O51GVkhQsMrfawIfK97A&dl=1[/MP3]

PS: of course in the finished song there will be some distortions and bass.

tones are nice. the interplay between the guitars is slinky. drumming is cool. wide guitar panning on cans is wearing.

tones are nice. the interplay between the guitars is slinky. drumming is cool. wide guitar panning on cans is wearing.

Thank you for your feedback. I will certainly close up the guitars a bit when we record the actual amps (in this rec it's just Guitar Rig, as I said they were just for the drummer).

I made a slightly different version. It's a better overall mix, it still has the temporary guitars but they're not panned as hard this time.

[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/162d5idqpwqenw6/Putiferio%20analog.mp3?token_hash=AAHNP8O8K5bIEkqvNNxspRHmmSzXVow0YB67PkbRsMqwGw&dl=1[/MP3]

Seems like this was mainly done for the drums since the guitar tracks are just temp. The drums sound really good. They are a nice balanced tone going on. A good sounding high end on the cymbals too. I play drums, so I always mix them like I'm sitting behind the kit, so hi hat on the left, ride on the right, and toms left to right. I think that is a drummer thing since non drummers probably see it from an audience point of view. Sounds good to me. I usually double my snare track and have one compressed hard to give that super crack sound and blend to taste. It really helps to cut through for heavier music, but it may not be needed for lighter tunes.

Seems like this was mainly done for the drums since the guitar tracks are just temp. The drums sound really good. They are a nice balanced tone going on. A good sounding high end on the cymbals too. I play drums, so I always mix them like I'm sitting behind the kit, so hi hat on the left, ride on the right, and toms left to right. I think that is a drummer thing since non drummers probably see it from an audience point of view. Sounds good to me. I usually double my snare track and have one compressed hard to give that super crack sound and blend to taste. It really helps to cut through for heavier music, but it may not be needed for lighter tunes.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to see the appreciation for the drums, I've spent quite a lot of time mixing them. However, I still find the snare to be too dark for my taste, it tends to lose its brilliance in some parts. I think we're going to re-record it with a 1968 Supraphonic snare drum instead of the handmade stave shell Elm snare we've used in this.

I'm quite satisfied with the results we're getting considering the very limited equipment we have right now!

sounds like a well tuned kit. I'd say there's too much panned right. left feels empty. there's fair amount of room sound too which isn't necessarily bad but you'll have to make that fit the song or vice versa. nice solid kick. snare doesn't have much crack but that's to taste I guess. cymbals are good but maybe a little harsh. not sure if it's level or too much high end but I almost have to brace myself for the crashes.

sounds like a well tuned kit. I'd say there's too much panned right. left feels empty. there's fair amount of room sound too which isn't necessarily bad but you'll have to make that fit the song or vice versa. nice solid kick. snare doesn't have much crack but that's to taste I guess. cymbals are good but maybe a little harsh. not sure if it's level or too much high end but I almost have to brace myself for the crashes.

The cymbals were definitely too bright, I have just recently made another version with less high end boost on the overheads. The snare is very dark, i agree, that's why we're going to re-record it with another snare. As for the room sound... well, there is absolutely no room mic, just X/Y overheads. They may be a little high in volume, contributing to the roomy sound and harsh cymbals. I'm glad you like the kick, I'm surprised of what single D112 can do in a nice room with a nice kit. Thank you very much for the feedback.

I listened to both mixes, but more of the second one. Second mix is better.

I thought the drums sounded good. The mix is all drums, but I think that's your point. Cymbals sound very good. Toms sound very good. Kick was a wee bit rubbery, but not bad. Snare had a bit of that "shotgun blast" sound, and I'd prefer a more natural sound. But really everything as it is sounds pretty good.

Re-do the guitars. Didn't care too much for the tone. Especially the one on the left.

I listened to both mixes, but more of the second one. Second mix is better.

I thought the drums sounded good. The mix is all drums, but I think that's your point. Cymbals sound very good. Toms sound very good. Kick was a wee bit rubbery, but not bad. Snare had a bit of that "shotgun blast" sound, and I'd prefer a more natural sound. But really everything as it is sounds pretty good.

Re-do the guitars. Didn't care too much for the tone. Especially the one on the left.

Thank you very much. The mix isn't definitive, and I'm definitely going to work on the snare a little bit more, I boosted the 200-250hz range quite a bit as I felt on some speakers it sounded too thin, so maybe that's where the shotgun sound is coming from, as the compression is very very mild. The guitars are temporary, just for the drummer. It's just guitar rig, now we're going to record them properly.

So far so good. I look forward to hearing the final product. Especially with some bass in there. Drums sound good. They will probably sound even better when you get the supra in there.

Yet another version of the mix. It's a quick one, I feel like some harshness in the cymbals is still there, but I'd like you to hear all the other changes I made to the mix. The snare is more natural, and the kick had some frequencies rolled off so it sounds less buttery, as someone said. Also, there is no limiter on the master channel so no dynamics are lost, there is still a linear phase EQ and an analog compressor set to 2-3db of gain reduction.

[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/09cew5gor2nruuv/Putiferio%20analog%283%29.mp3?token_hash=AAGUcjieLr6LYgpTaVpcBhC4K5Nh7Vw8ZkJPRINedMFPig&dl=1[/MP3]

An update on my track. Bass is still missing and I need to find a way to tame that shrill hi-end. I'm thinking about a gentle hi shelf filter on the master buss - that's unless someone here tells me it's not too bad.
Tell me what you think about it. Thanks in advance!
[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/kr71v43jpezfy26/Putiferio%20Gigante.mp3?token_hash=AAEsDc3V9IDm-uYWSXiHdnxSMC3jZplHzcdxaC2XFJfWkA&dl=1[/MP3]

Back