please rate my mix

I thought the guitar riff in the intro sounded cool.

I'm not a big fan of reverb in general, but I thought it worked well on this mix.

The vocal sounded cool. I liked the effects. But I could see where some people would think it's a bit too much.

The bass is super rumbly. There is a low end frequency problem.

The distorted rhythm guitar lacks a little power. Not enough "umph" behind it. Is it an amp sim?

I'd have to disagree on the reverb part there's simply to much of it to my liking for the type of song (especially on drums). The vocals are very good and clear which is a good thing. As for the distorted guitar in the chorus there's definitly something wrong. Both part are inequal in volume which gives an unstable feeling listening in head phones and as mentioned above lack the "umph" factor. In general the instrument parts sound really clean and have good tone. I'm pretty shure with a couple of tweaking this could be a great song.

Yeah could you tell us what kind of music you are aiming to do so we can have a template

otherwise, like they said, lots of reverb but some likes it and yeah maybe more power to the guitar

sounds cool otherwise

Mix 2 - soundclick version
Intro sounds like it belongs on a Surf instrumental or Rockabilly song.
If this is with reduced reverb I'd be afraid of drowning in the original.
The excess of reverb is creating essing on the vocal.
The chorus guitars sound like a cheap Chinese motorcycle all ying ying and no throat.
The reverb on the cymbals make me feel I could take a shower under them.
Bass isn't too bad & there's decent thump in the kick drum.
Sounds like a good song trying to get out from under it all.

To me second mix sound like a good improvement of first mix. Still guitars in the chorus just don't sound like guitars. Have you ever heard of s-gear (S-Gear). I used them in combination to guitar rig and I get great realistic sounding guitar that I'm not afraid at to rise in the mix. Anyway just trying to help (I do not work for scuffham, but at the price they offer the s-gear plugins it almost feels like stealing).

Great song, very catchy. I agree with the previous poster too though, the guitars sound "different" in the chorus. I'd like to hear them a little louder in the mix personally.

thank you! I'll do my best.
I have some problems with the wide frequency spectrum of the guitars. When I cut some holes to mske room for the vocals and low end, it tends to sound thin.
I'll upload another try today, lets see how it will sound.

okay: new version
https://soundcloud.com/fortenhell/young-blood

btw. how can I link the player directly in a forum post?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the mix....

Um, it's bad. It's disheveled and over-processed. I could almost live with it until the rhythm guitars come in and scratch the eyes out of everything else. Can you hear how those rhythm tracks come in and stomp everything out? Not good. No amount of EQ carving in the world can fix blatant level issues. Get your mix balanced without all the tricks and processing, then gently add stuff for flavor.

Back