Please Mix This - A Challenge (really, very challenging)

chrisharris

King of Bling
This song has beaten me into submission, and mixmkr gave me an idea. I'm posting this here (b/c I hang out here), and I'm also going to post it in the "Mixing & Mastering" forum to see if I can get any takers.

CHALLENGE:
Download some tracks and mix "Juliet" in order to make it as transferrable as possible across many systems. I have uploaded 9 tracks to NWR. Please download them and make it great. :D

issues:
1. The Drums are the only stereo track, and yes...they're already screwed up with compression. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't bring myself to redo them. Feel free to add a new drum track, or ditch it if you think it's impossible to make a decent mix with them, but I think it'd be a lot more helpful to the clinic if you took a shot at using the drum track I have. It's really the only way to keep it fair. Same thing for the bass...it's an old (compressed) track. The vocals and guitars are dry.

2. The tracks are high quality VBR Mono tracks ('cept for the drums) so they're not huge. Some of you might scoff at the idea of mixing mp3 files, but it'll serve a couple of purposes. First, if anybody had to wait on me to to mail out CD's this would never get done. Secondly, if a "pro" were to tackle this and come up with something great, I wouldn't want anybody to think I was just trying to get free professional services, so I'm keeping them as mp3's. (by the way, if I love some mix, I don't mind paying for it. (note: this is not an offer - I'd have to really REALLY love it, lol).

3. Please Take Notes - Good for the clinic, and (more importantly to my self-absorbed nature), it'll help me try to translate the good stuff on the original wave files later.

4. This is ABSOLUTELY a competitive thing. There's gonna' be a "winner," who will retain the right to talk smack anywhere on this BBS, lmao.

5. If you have trouble lining the tracks up or decoding the VBR files or something, please either give up or figure it out, lol...It took me forever to upload this. I tried to put markers at the beginning of the tracks to line up with a 4 count intro on the drums, but a couple of tracks are from Crawdad and they don't have the markers.

6. IF ANYBODY WANTS TO SAVE WALDO from having to host this mess and would graciously offer some space on a server (yeah, right :D), then please post here and let me know the link so I can amend my original post.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO TAKES A SHOT!! Have fun, btw :D

http://chrisharris.rustyfingers.com/

(url changed by sm2k 6/18/03)

hehehe, do you ever do the State Fairs out in Texas?
you'd do real good with snake oil, elephant feathers, and the Tic-Tac-Toe Rooster... :)
just kiddin', I'm gonna check this out. I`m sure it`s real good.

Toki987 said:
hehehe, do you ever do the State Fairs out in Texas?
you'd do real good with snake oil, elephant feathers, and the Tic-Tac-Toe Rooster... :)
just kiddin', I'm gonna check this out. I`m sure it`s real good.
BAHAHahahahaaa... Actually, it's pretty nerve-racking to put up the tracks like this. It's one thing for me to post a dry mix that I have control over - but this has ALL the warts. Some timing issues between the guitars, some out of sync vocals...all kinds of crap to clean up.

BTW - there's a sort of a reference mix on my page, but it's with old vocals and guitars...should help line up the slide and stuff, though.

Oh, and I have snake oil. Plenty of it. Want some?

C'mon Toki987 - you KNOW you wanna' download these tracks and make a monster mix and be a hero, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?!

:D
Chris

chrisharris said:
C'mon Toki987 - you KNOW you wanna' download these tracks and make a monster mix and be a hero, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?!

Chris [/B]

hehehehe, I better keep this cheap soundblaster out of this one and see what the guys come up with. But that don`t mean I aint gonna fool around with it though. :)

Toki987 said:
hehehehe, I better keep this cheap soundblaster out of this one and see what the guys come up with. But that don`t mean I aint gonna fool around with it though. :)

No, see...THAT'S the beauty of it. You don't have to have a decent soundcard, or even any decent instruments (although you have those). All you need is a cracked copy of Cakewalk or something and a decent internet connection, lol.

Anyway, I'd seriously like to hear anythning you come up with if you mess with it...you don't HAVE to post here, lol...I won't "out" you...unless it rules. :D :D

(stopping the posting in his own thread now....NOT!!)

I'll take a shot at it......

..............even though you still haven't told me how to get together with you when I come to Texas. ;)

Re: I'll take a shot at it......

Lt. Bob said:
..............even though you still haven't told me how to get together with you when I come to Texas. ;)
LOL - here's the deal on that. [edited to omit whereabouts of Chris for public consumption] - Check your PM's in about 3 minutes, lol.

Man, those guitar tracks are a little on the "dull" side now that I hear them w/o headphones, lol.

GOOD LUCK!!!

LooneyTunez said:
Let me know what you think...
Man, I'm glad you took me up on it. So that makes you and Lt.Bob who have testicles, lol.

I wanna' trade some feedback on it, and find out what all you did, but I'm going to reserve any and all comments on any of the mixes until one week from today - the hope is that people will take different approaches, like you did, and I don't wanna' screw that up.

but I wanted to say thanks. It's a pain, I know...

Chris, e-mail addy, what is it? I have something for you!:rolleyes:

I need to e-mail it though. This is like christmas for me, can't record shiznit, but i still have CEP!!!!!! great friggin idea!

Peace

Rick

I wanna be able to "talk smack" and therefore am d/l'ing as we speak (or as I type).

I am not going to pay much attention to your mix, and actually am not THAT familiar with the song.

Hopefully, you will deem me as God when this is done!!!

...afterall...I guess I got-sta try...eh?;)

LMAO

On the page at NWR half the tracks are labeled Country & half are Alternative. Already I see a problem :p :D

Ummm...yeahrrr....I'd take a crack at it...but, you know...I wouldn't want to make anyone look bad...

(like me) :D

man...you guyz mix fast.:eek: I'm still gobbling dinner:cool:

so...I guess adding instruments (as a mixing engineer) is illegal, huh?
:(

(I can hear rampant sammie ebow for sure!!)

chrisharris said:
Some timing issues between the guitars, some out of sync vocals...all kinds of crap to clean up.

Ahh - that's why the line-it up yourself free for all!

You DO realize how much "artistic license" I've been granted by your failure to provide a .veg or .bun type file..

BWAHHAHAHHAHAH!!!!

mixmkr said:

so...I guess adding instruments (as a mixing engineer) is illegal, huh?
:(

(I can hear rampant sammie ebow for sure!!)
LOL...I know, you just wanna' replace that "bass."

Totally not fair. However, if you were to post your mix, and THEN add/replace something, that'd be a collab, which is encouraged, lol. VERY ENCOURAGED.

Make one mix with my crappy tracks...it makes it damned near impossible to shine that way, lol.

Cool to see a few people are gonna' take a shot at it. And with Lt.Bob's setup (no computer workstation, I think), I know that it'll eventually hit tape at some point, which can't hurt, right?

It is not easy for me to not comment on the mixes...I'm such a fucking gabber. But I definitely wanna' know what every does and how they do it, so... feel free to talk amongst yourselves :D

Thanks for playing.

drstawl said:
Ahh - that's why the line-it up yourself free for all!

You DO realize how much "artistic license" I've been granted by your failure to provide a .veg or .bun type file..

BWAHHAHAHHAHAH!!!!
I thought it'd be really funny if somebody just smeared it in Autotune, but I'm actually SCARED about what you might do with this...lol.

Before I go any farther I just wanna say... dude, this is fucking beautiful.

I'm going minimal. I think you've been thinking about this too hard. It seems like the work has already been done and all I did was import the tracks.

Back