Please Mix This - A Challenge (really, very challenging)

I will give it a go if I find some time. I listened to the tune and like it. I see we can take some liberties with it after a mix of the original tracks. I would like to replace the bass and maybe the pedal. Should be fun.

Kirk

Hey groucho...lol; nevermind. I just listened b/c I thought I'd done a weird edit there...it's not even an edit...I just played it that way...TWICE, lol.

This brings up an important point. I use lots of crap to cover up other crap, lol.

nwsoundman - looking forward to it.

ha... I clipped out whole bars, left off half the instruments, cut whole sections of the bg vocals....

and you ask about a section I didn't do anything to.:)

Boy, is my mix needing a bass.... and my fender's just sitting in the corner doing nothing today...

hmm...

Chris

chrisharris said:
I listened to the backup vocal mp3, and I think I ran a hiss reduction. Other than that, I just suck, I guess, lol. :D All my sibilance sounds phasey to me...it's like some kind of curse I have on my front teeth...they seem to have the ability to actually amplify sibilance and add a chorus and a flange effect, lol.

Man, thanks...haven't listened yet but it sounds like you and PGLewis kinda' took the same approach.

Huh? You still have your front teeth? :D

Thought I'd give this a quick wurl just for kicks. I sort of over did it on the slide verb, just as well since the drums seem to have lot's of verb tracked on them. Some simple limiting got most of the vocal track in line. I think it could use a bit of high pass as well, but I let it be.

Anyhow, I went for interpretation as apposed to mastering skills

Juliet

uploading now

Now I'm a little challenged here since I don't record on my 'puter. So I'll have to convert it to cda.....burn it to cd......play it in a cd player to upload to my recorder ( two more conversions ).....do the mixing......burn the mix to cd.........upload that into my 'puter converting it to MP3....and then uploading that to Nowhere.....whew!
Thatsa buncha electronic thingamajiggery! :p

Well, you wanted an experiment......mine'll be up tonight. ;)

Would love to participate, but it would take me about a month to download, and a year to try to sync everything up and another year to try to mix...and then I'd still mess it up :)

Looking forward to hearing the "winner" though...:)

Well I've tweaked my mix, partly because I noticed that every elses mixes were twice as loud as mine (see how it happens :) )and partly because I wanted to tweak a couple of things. I also noticed I missed one of the guitar tracks. That's ok, I don't think the tune needs it. The new upload is labelled "version 2" in the description.

Thanks to Chris Harris for providing this mp3 playground.

It has been a blast to compare brutalizations of this work after loading them ALL into my multitracker and then switching the solo from one track to another.

Many of the good ones cheated.....

I only mention this because they mostly sound better than mine, and I've left it au natural as far as adding parts.

Kramer got carried away with those drums! This ain't KANSAS, it's a gentle ballad.

pg had a tasty mix although I think he slipped in a shill bass line and dumped the drums. I liked the position of the lap stell and slide tracks in this mix. Proper country placement.

groucho had a decent clean mix accomplished by trashing the bass line AND the drums. His handling of the steel track wasn't as trusting as pg's and suffered for it. Those tracks slide in there like a well greased driveshaft.

Fender also got it a l little drum heavy- but at least they sound somewhat COUNTRY as opposed to some rock and roll hair band.

bleyrad went overboard with the maximizer.

Lt. Bob got the compression/vol boost a little tastier.

Doug H mostly got a nice mix that sounded a lot like the Lt.'s but jammed the meter into the hole a few times... OOPS!

I guess the lesson here is: you can't fix it in the mix!

But a great song will endure endless mix abuse.

I've posted my pathetic contribution to this merely because I spent some time on this and Chris might be curious what I did [WITH] his tracks. Don't be looking for the drstawl "cubist" interpretation: I did a straight-ahead mix: mostly!

I've learned a great deal and thank all involved for their effort on this project, Chris in particular.

I look forward to finding some time to play with this, too.

I was kinda curious about it... which is good, cause I haven't picked up my Martin in at least two years (and not much before that... in recent history) and it hurt real bad to play along.

My setup is at work, or I would've played with the mix tonight.

It's actually a pretty cool tune, Chris. For some reason, I like it better than most everything on your recent CD... bad mix and all considered. It's the kind of song that's been done before... but not the same. Familiar, yet different. I like it. A lot.

The lyrics and the music work well together. It could probably be a modern country hit, produced properly.

I guess that's more proof that the bottom line is still the music... everything else is secondary.

Well, I'm following my usual pattern of mixing which is:

1) do first mix

2) go back 2 hours later and lower the vox.

So I did.

My final version's up there now - I replaced the first one, so it's at the same place:

I just realized how much of Willie's influence you have in the vocals on this one....

very tasty, indeed.

Maybe Willie will record it for you and make you a pile of cash.:D

Kramer said:
Just for kicks I gave it a go...pretty darn fun even though I suck.

I went for a vocal mix ,and, I went a little less hot on the final mix than I usually do.I tried to go for a traditional country mix without all the balls to the wall volume.If it's not hot enough for you just crank your volume and extra notch or two.;)

Juliet <<<<<<<<<click over there

Or you can DOWNLOAD it HERE.

Try clicking here if you really wanna hear my mix of the tune.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2628&alid=621

p.s. Good job on your mix fender!I can tell that a "drummer" mixed it!:D

PERFECT KRAMER! LmaO! (seriously!) You nailed me on that one!:D I'm just a "beat" kinda guy, even with this electronic track i couldn't help but bring them up in the mix!:rolleyes: look's like doc noticed it too!:eek: :D This is fun, I'm really diggin' hearing all the different approaches to level's and eq, verb(everything!) SWEET! I can't keep up with who did what mix, i should have labled them when i downloaded! DOH!!!!!!!! but i know which one is kramer's and pg's and doc's, i need to go through and figure out who is who.

Anyway, I'm gonna go through what i did to get my mix(to show NOT what to do!):D I hope more people post what was done with their mix's, i might actually learn something!:eek:

I shall return!!!!!!!!!!!

Lt. Bob said:
Ummmmmmmmm.....I haven't done one yet.
Perhaps this is a review from the future? :D
I thought the wine was getting to me... I didn't see your post yet, Lt. - I thought maybe my computer couldn't read analog!

I really love this tune. It was a pleasure to work with some really nice tracks - except those... well, everyone else has said it so I won't. :-)

I figured I had mix license so I went with a few 'different' ideas.

Here it is:

Alright, the guitar's are NOT touched! One is panned 100%left and the other 100% right, slight volume adjustment(boost)

drums are untouched, boost in db's again.(couldn't help it!):D I'm a drum FREAK!

Bass..now this i eq'ed! then buried it in the "bass tone" cemetery behind the kick!:D (pic to follow)

main vocal was compressed and i added some verb(preset:"vocal nice presence") boost in db's

harmonies were compressed and verbed(preset:"vocal natural reverb") panned to oppisite side's at about 35% a piece

steel and slide git's were compressed and panned to oppisite side's at about 40 to 50% a piece db cut.

That's it! a plan for "disaster!" :D

I'm gonna post some pic's of the eq for the bass, and the compression setting i used to compress all the track's, since i can't explain what i did!LOL! :rolleyes:

I shall return!!!!!!

Lt. Bob said:
Ummmmmmmmm.....I haven't done one yet.
Perhaps this is a review from the future? :D

That's hilarious! I downloaded a bunch of mixes and one of 'em came up named LT-Juliet.mp3. Maybe someone else did a "lite" mix???? I really don't recall the link I followed but I thought you had one up... oh well! It was recorded at 192.

Back