Please Mix This - A Challenge (really, very challenging)

Bite me Doug! :D

here`s the tune of chris' . It mostly one take on all my parts cause i was fooling around with the original tracks. There`s glitches and issues and I didnt bother fixing them, maybe there`s enough smooth to tell what I was thinking about. Oh, this is my first time actual playing the drums instead of programming, so they get sloppy in places too. :)

Juliet

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2054/singles

p.s. I had hell with the tracks for the steel and slide. I kept downloading them but the filters wouldnt convert them and I had errors. I finally figured out it was Netscrape causing it and I dl`d with Explorer and they were fine. Harris I`m gonna keep this and fix the glitches and crap just to hang on to, ok?:D

Last edited:
Toki987 said:
Bite me Doug! :D

here`s the tune of chris' . It mostly one take on all my parts cause i was fooling around with the original tracks. There`s glitches and issues and I didnt bother fixing them, maybe there`s enough smooth to tell what I was thinking about.

Juliet

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2054/singles
Funny you would reply.... as I am listening to "Powerless"....

I will check out your mix of "Juliet" next!

:D

Cheater!:D

You're not supposed add bass and pianos and stuff til after your first mix is posted!:D

Did you alter the tempo? (Or is that my imagination?)

Real full sound, there. Almost too full, IMO.:)

Doug Quance said:
Cheater!:D

You're not supposed add bass and pianos and stuff til after your first mix is posted!:D

Did you alter the tempo? (Or is that my imagination?)

Real full sound, there. Almost too full, IMO.:)

I musta missed something in the rules, I didnt read that much of them anyways cause chris types so much. :) I just grabbed it and messed around.
lol, no tempo change. I couldnt get right with those jangly-jangly guitars so I dropped the piano in there to set some pulse in it.

maybe I`ll be forgiven but still have to carry a few lash marks.. :D

Toki987 said:
I musta missed something in the rules, I didnt read that much of them anyways cause chris types so much. :) I just grabbed it and messed around.
lol, no tempo change. I couldnt get right with those jangly-jangly guitars so I dropped the piano in there to set some pulse in it.

maybe I`ll be forgiven but still have to carry a few lash marks.. :D
Well, most musicians can't seem to follow rules, anyway. :)

And Chris is still the darling of the Mavis Beacon School of Typing!

Hi guys,
I've been a member for awhile (I think), but am usually a lurker. I'm a friend of mixmkr who I recorded with on one occasion. I've been without a workable recording/mixing setup for awhile, but just got a new computer. I was looking for a way to put things thru their paces and voila, a mixing challenge! A perfect way to practice and learn something at the same time.
So if no one minds too much, I've attached my first stab at a Juliet mix. I've only listened to the first few of the other mixes so far and agree the drum track wasn't ideal, BUT....I figure Chris put it there because he wanted one. I have no good way to add a new one so I chopped at this one a bit, determined to make some use out of it. I also added no other tracks of my own. I'm open to any critiques of my mix as well.
Not sure if this is the right link....I'm new to nowhereradio as well, but it works for me.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/country/

For anybody who's sick of seeing this thread, lol...DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!

I gotta' say, guys; with all the bullshit around these parts lately (90% of it stirred up and smeared around by yours truly), this thread is like an oasis in the middle of a desert of suck.

Toki - Nice job. I seriously want that piano track when you're done, and I'm not kidding at all...and I really mean it, okay?

voxjockey - I'm really sorry your first impression of me was a huge flame-out with mixmkr; I know he won't hold it against you that you did a mix. After all, I'm the small one, lol. You did a really good job of making the drums less obnoxious than they are. I also liked your treatment of the backups. The weakest point, for me, would be the big room reverb on the lead vocal - total preference thing, you know. Anyway, welcome, welcome, welcome, and I hope you stick around.

To everybody else - There's no realistic way I can go through at this point and point out what I did and didn't dig from the various mixes, but it's really a moot point anyway, right? Different people here have different preferences, and my pick for "best mix" wouldn't have any more validity than anybody else's pick.

When this started, I hoped that a couple of people would give it a shot...I was pleasantly surprised at the number of mixes, AND ESPECIALLY THE REMIXES... At the risk of sounding like Jimmy Stewart or something, I think all of us really do have some driving something that makes us want to get better at this. Why the hell else would we spend our free time hanging out with assholes like me, lol...and why else would you even consider spending your time on a project like this, right?

Anyway, I said I'd pick a winner, and if you haven't figured it out yet, I knew who it would be from the beginning (as long as SOMEBODY put a mix up) ...it's me. Hopefully, it's you too.

Now, to avoid TOTALLY copping out, I'll add that if anybody wants any particular input on what I thought of "x" mix, please feel free to PM me; I actually have notes on most of them, b/c I'm a total dork, a fact which has been repeatedly brought home to me this week, lol.

Again, thanks a ton. My final mix got A LOT better, and it may still improve more if I actually get tracks from some of you losers :D

Very Sincerely,
-The Self-Absorbed Goat Raping Dickhead of a Cumfunnel.

Thanks for taking the time to listen Chris. Agree with the "room size" on the reverb. I'm still learning about some of my effects plug-ins and haven't got reverb going quite like I want it yet. I'll take another stab for my own benefit.

I plan on going thru this thread in detail and listen to as many of the mixes as are still valid links. I'm especially interested in individual's comments on "how dey do dat".

I'll be around the other boards as well. Gotta get better at this stuff.

I just have to give this phenomenal thread a bump.

I ran across this tune on my computer, and posted it in the Cave to see how long it would take someone to remember it.

It wasn't long.

Chris should have been a one-hit wonder by now with this tune... in addition to defending trademarks and whatnot...

:)

Oh, since all my old links are no longer good... here's one for those of you who may not have had the exquisite pleasure of hearing Juliet:

www.douglasquance.com/juliet2.wma

Enjoy!

Big thanks, Doug. I can't believe I remembered my old login info here.:) I lost my copy of this tune in a hard drive crash some years ago and was so psyched to find the link you posted is still active. Agreed that this one is a masterpiece. Chris was one talented guy. Thanks again!!

I've always loved Chris's music. About 15 years ago, I had the opportunity of mastering a bunch of his songs for a compilation cd. It was right about the time my son was born so when ever I hear these songs, I remember what an amazing time of my life that was. Thank you SO much for the bump of this thread!

This site can’t be reached chrisharris.rustyfingers.com’s server IP address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

?????

This site can’t be reached chrisharris.rustyfingers.com’s server IP address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

?????

This thread is from 2003. Chris Harris still exists (his daughter is a stah now), but his site doesn't. :-)

Back