Please Be With Me

smellyfuzz

This song is the first time I ever miced and recorded a drumset, the first time I miced and recorded a guitar amp, the first time I ever recorded a band on somewhat decent equipment. This song was meant to just give my new mixer and my Otari 8 a first time run though.

That was two and a half years ago. The mix and the tracking I was far from proud of.

Enter COOL EDIT PRO and much reading and research, trial and error and comments from the great BBS, I have come up with this mix.

And although many of you will rip this apart, in which I hope, I am proud of this song and how I got it to sound simply because of the bad recording techniques working against me and many prior mixes that I have tried.

ALL COMMENTS WELCOME !!!!

Please Be With Me

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1691&alid=-1

Sean

i dunno, i wasn't too into it, but that's just personal musical tastes. the mix sounded good to me.

keep up the good work!

Hey

I think you captured a good Bass sound.
Too bad the player was so ridiculously busy with it:D
Like the vocals maybe a touch more level on the backups.
Drums are somehow too far removed if that makes any sense, sounds like they are next door:)

I like the way this song is put together. I think the actual mix sounds fine, its just some of the sounds could use some work (ie drums, etc as you already know).

My main nitpick is that the lead guitar is way distracting, and to me it doesn't fit in the song at all. Especially at the beginning, it sounds like it was added as an afterthought, rather than being part of the song.

Like this song , thanks for sharing it!

travis

The technical:

The drums are played really well, but they need to be brought to the front of the mix more and have more depth. What were you micing them with?

Piano/keyboard is a bit loud, and maybe it would be nice if it weren't panned so far to one side.

The nit-pick:

Lead guitar part at the beginning doesn't fit the song at all. Plus it's WAY too loud. In the middle, the playing is fine, but cut out that shrill 80's metal distortion and have the lead player do it clean. That "rock star" ending has to go too. Overall, the song sounds like the Barenaked Ladies hired C.C. DeVille from Poison to play guitar.

I agree that the bass is way too "busy."

This song sounds like the bassist and lead guitarist are trying to show off too much.

I see you mentioned having recorded it quite some time ago. I guess you can't really fix it now, but if you could retrack it....

micing real drums is a bitch isn't it? they sound good, just too far away.

damn, your voice sounds like someone I've heard before but I can't place it. I'm sure someone with a better brain will come along and tell me.

Anyway, I really like your voice.

Only thing I wasn't into was the electric guitar thing in the beginning.

I'm gonna agree with Chris's suggestions. Perhaps cut that electric lead entirely and i think the song would be better off, but if possible less distortion.

It really does sound like a clash of sensibilities. Like you have some 80's shredder and pasted it on top of a album oriented rock band.

Change those guit solos to a piano solo or something I'll bet you'll like the results.

I like the job the vocalist does on this. Good singer.

A couple of good things jump out me... The bass part is very cool and well played. The drums are very well played. Very tasteful fills. Nice singing. Some good lead guit playing.

Some mix things...

The instruments don't have the feel of being in the same space. Whether it's reverbs, or panning or what. I don't get a cohesive feel to it. It has an almost live feel.

The lead guitar, while well played, has a bit of harshness to its sound. The drums have a very distant sound.

The acoustic guit get's covered up by the lead guit and the piano.

Kind of long intro and outro.

Damn nice bass line. Just had to say that again.

Trip...

Sounds like every instrument is in a different room (level wise and clarity/reverb wise). The cymbal crashes sound really bad. Phasey?

I think you have some pretty good individual tracks here with the exception of the cymbals. Just needs to be re-mixed entirely. And you may want to cut out some of the guitar licks when they are running crazy behind the vocals.

Vocals are good.

edit - I just re-read my post and it sounds worse than I wanted so I wanted to add that I thought instruments were well played. You just need some mix work IMO. Nice job.

Last edited:
cool song, good singer.. yeah there's mix problems, but since it's an old recording and you might not have the original tracks, I'll leave it at cool song.. I would have taken the ending to the next level because I love those type of endings when done right..

I have to agree with tripleM. Get rid of the intro and outro and definately tone down that guitar man. Wicked though.

Back